Threads
Members
Latest member
archaeoguy13
Recent bookmarks

Neil Grant

Shooter
Multi Format
Is it possible to get field camera for this range of lenses, or is this only possible with a mono rail? Thanks

Rick A

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
I can do all three with my Tachihara, I can go all the way out to 300mm.

bdial

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Depending on the camera, you might need a recessed board for the 72, but the others should be fine.

Mick Fagan

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I'm running 65mm through to 250mm on my Shen Hao HZX 4X5-IIA

I can use the 65mm with the standard bellows, but they are heavily scrunched up. The 65mm is running a 10mm (approximately) recessed board. With the bag bellows the 65mm is a breeze and I invariably use the bag bellows with the 90mm.

All of my lenses are Fujinon, but that shouldn't make much of a difference, if any difference at all.

RJ-

Shooter
Multi Format
Is it possible to get field camera for this range of lenses, or is this only possible with a mono rail? Thanks

Your lens range works fine with a Wista SW 5x4 field camera ~ the 72mm wide angle unscrews the rear element into the Wista and the bellows detaches to fit it in (unlike the DX model which has fixed bellows and can't accommodate such wide XL lenses.
Bit of a squeeze but it works fine for the SA 90mm XL too,right down to the 65mm f4/f5.6 lenses. The 180mm is comfortable. At 210mm, you can attain infinity focus down to portrait length and then it runs out of bellows so with top hat lens boards +10mm or + 20mm, it makes all the difference like an extension ring.

A triple extension type Chamonix, Phillips, Shen Hao all work at the longer end and have various degrees of field camera instability compared to the more robust shorter double extension field cameras.

Nothing like a real monorail to compare against though :smile:

xkaes

Shooter
Multi Format
Your lens range works fine with a Wista SW 5x4 field camera ~ the 72mm wide angle unscrews the rear element into the Wista and the bellows detaches to fit it in (unlike the DX model which has fixed bellows and can't accommodate such wide XL lenses.
:smile:
So you can't attach the rear element onto the DX by removing the back and screwing it into the shutter?
Fortunately, I don't have that problem with any of my lenses -- but not by much -- but I could get physically wider lenses onto my camera by using this approach.

grat

Shooter
Multi Format
speed graphic

I'm a fan of the speed graphic (and own two), but the extra complexity of the FPS isn't worth it if you don't need it, and will make wider lenses more difficult.

A triple extension type Chamonix, Phillips, Shen Hao all work at the longer end and have various degrees of field camera instability compared to the more robust shorter double extension field cameras.

The Chamonix 045N-1 and N-2 aren't really a triple extension-- It's a single focusing screw with a single bed. 210mm is ridiculously simple (and stable), as the max bellows draw is 395mm. Minimum is claimed 42, but 65 is probably more reasonable. The rear standard does move, but not enough to destablize the camera.

The opening in the standard might be an issue, as it's only 84mm, so the lens might have to be dismantled for installation. The bellows is a slider to latch in place.

Nothing like a real monorail to compare against though :smile:

Yes and no-- I think most would agree a Cambo SC2 is a "real monorail", but due to the standard design, 72mm is actually really difficult to reach.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom