Latest member
GRInfratech
Recent bookmarks

henryyjjames

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Hey all,
I’m looking for a model of 35mm half frame camera that will have the following features (listed from most important to least):

- flash
- autofocus
- manual iso control

A model like this might not exist but I thought I would ask and maybe save hours of googling. Having auto and manual controls would be nice but I doubt there’s a model out there that has everything. If anyone has any suggestions let me know, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks!
Henry

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Canon Sure Shot Multi Tele but no manual ISO. You'd have to change the DX on the can.

Oren Grad

Shooter
Large Format
The various Yashica Samurai have flash and AE but no manual ISO.

Olympus Pen EF has flash and selenium-cell program AE with manual ISO, but fixed-focus. You could consider that "automatic" as you don't have to do anything.

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Squints, looks into the distance. Reconsiders life's choices and why I'm spending so much time on Photrio.

Because I haven't seen the sun in weeks and the basement is warmer than the main floor if I run the space heater.

xkaes

Shooter
Multi Format
There are the Yashica Samurai cameras -- but ISO is DX auto. You can change the exposures +/- 2 EV, though.

Your biggest problem will be auto-focus -- since most half-frames were not being made in the AF era. If you can settle for fixed focus lenses, there are several -- see:

http://www.subclub.org/shop/halframe.htm

If I were you, I go for a Samurai -- which have ZOOM lenses, too!!!

xkaes

Shooter
Multi Format
I just found it. It's the Canon Autoboy Tele 6 / SURE SHOT MULTI TELE / PRIMA TELE -- depending on the market. New to me!!! Like the Konica Autoreflex of bygone years, and some other cameras, you can select full-frame or half-frame -- but no ISO setting.

Last edited:

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I just found it. It's the Canon Autoboy Tele 6 / SURE SHOT MULTI TELE / PRIMA TELE -- depending on the market. New to me!!! Like the Konica Autoreflex of bygone years, and some other cameras, you can select full-frame or half-frame -- but no ISO setting.

I've been keeping an eye out for one for a while. They're out there...somewhere...

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
Yashica Samarai!

DX cassettes are easy to make with whatever code you want. Put some aluminum tape on the cassette. Put it in the camera and the camera's sensors mark the soft aluminum. Now place regular tape over the marks as needed for whatever ISO you want .
DX code 35mm cassette.JPG

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
The Konica Recorder/AA-35 half frame camera is what you want.

and yes, this first reply is the only correct one.

Auto focus? Check.
Built in flash? Check.
Manual ISO setting? Check.

Has anyone else here mentioned a camera that actually fulfills the OP’s request?

xkaes

Shooter
Multi Format
and yes, this first reply is the only correct one.

Auto focus? Check.
Built in flash? Check.

Has anyone else here mentioned a camera that actually fulfills the OP’s request?

ISO 100-400 Only? Check.

aw614

Shooter
35mm
I've been keeping an eye out for one for a while. They're out there...somewhere...

I bought one on Facebook marketplace a few months ago when I realized what it was, haven't used it much yet...there isn't a manual flash override so it always fires when you dont want it to, which which kind of annoys me... I can deal with the loud film advance motor, but the flashing kind of sucks.

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I bought one on Facebook marketplace a few months ago when I realized what it was, haven't used it much yet...there isn't a manual flash override so it always fires when you dont want it to, which which kind of annoys me... I can deal with the loud film advance motor, but the flashing kind of sucks.

Used as a casual point and shoot it wouldn't bother me. If it was something I was trying to get results out of that would drive me crazy.

momus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I can deal with the loud film advance motor, but the flashing kind of sucks.

Black electrical tape would fix that. If you want to be styling, use duct tape, w/ the extra security of a rubber band around it or a bit of baling wire.

xkaes

Shooter
Multi Format
He asked for manual ISO control. If you think ISO 100-400 is ISO control, you must think Hit cameras -- with an I and B setting -- has shutter speed control, too

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
The amazing and very cool looking Konica Recorder. A Half Frame camera with what the OP wants!

AF
Manual ISO
Built in flash.

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
The amazing and very cool looking Konica Recorder. A Half Frame camera with what the OP wants!

AF
Manual ISO
Built in flash.

And the film runs vertical as opposed to horizontal. Downside, I think there's a battery that's hardwired in there.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom