zone system chart

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by CMoore, May 15, 2018.

1. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is it possible, in the darkroom, to make a 1-9 Zone System chart/strip.?
    Not sure how...maybe starting with Zone-9...white paper, and then exposing in steps that would equal 8 down to 1.?
    Then develop, stop and fix.
    Is this a stupid question....is it super easy to figure out.? :redface:
    Thank You

2. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. OP
    OP
    CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am simply wondering if it is Possible/Easy, in the darkroom, to take a Sheet/Strip of Multi Grade RC paper, and create a Zone System chart.....like the chart you see in any book that discusses the Zone System.
    It always shows a "strip", numbered from 1-9 with the different Zones/Tones on it.
    Has anybody ever made one of those.?

4. John51

John51 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've been thinking of this too but am a bit confused when it comes to contrast grade.

Zones 1 and 9 are easy enough, all white or all black. What happens with different contrast settings? Is Zone V, the middle zone, always the same or does it alter with a different grade setting?

5. Doremus Scudder

Doremus Scudder Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think what you are thinking of is a Zone Ruler. There are detailed instructions for making a Zone Ruler in Minor White, et al. The New Zone System Manual. The idea is to be able to precisely see what tone you get from what zone (zones are not all evenly spaced like over-simplifications of the system would have you believe). When I started out with the Zone System, I made Zone Rulers for each film and every development scheme (N-2 thru N+2) so I could learn to visualize better. They were a real help. I still make a Zone Ruler or two for new films when I test them.

I'm attaching my instruction document on my method of determining E.I. and making Zone Rulers with sheet film. Maybe it'll help you get what you are looking for.

Best,

Doremus

Attached Files:

6. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  7. OP
    OP
    CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the info and links.....I Appreciate It :smile:

8. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    of course

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.