Zeiss Super Ikonta 531/2: Any way to mount a yellow/orange filter on it for B&W film?

Funky Face

A
Funky Face

faded glory

A
faded glory

• Tel
  • Oct 7, 2022
Parkbench images

A
Parkbench images

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocieb
Recent bookmarks

cayenne

Shooter
Hybrid
Hi all,
Ok, I FINALLY got one of the Zeiss folders I've been wanting...the Super Ikonta 531/2....shooting 6x9.
I didn't get the mask with it.

I just looked to see if I could figure out what filter size it took and discovered that this camera doesn't have screw threads to put a filter on it.

So, I'm wondering....is there such a thing as a push on filter, maybe with rubber fitting that will hold to the outside of the lens?

Anyone know of any types of filters you could use with these wonderful old cameras?

Thank you in advance!!

cayenne

beemermark

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
It takes a slip on filter (the filter has fingers that slip over the id of the lens). Best best is to find a series VI slip on filter holder, then you can use various series 6 filters.

BrianShaw

Shooter
Multi Format
Slip on filter adapter; series filter adapter.

Measure the outside diameter (OD) of the lens front element and buy accordingly. Get a lens hood too.

A reliable supplier. Let him know what you want/need and Tim will take good care of you:

Alan9940

Shooter
Multi Format
I never messed with slip on filters...I just hold a gel filter in front of the lens and shoot.

BAC1967

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
If you find a series VI slip on filter holder that’s close, but a little loose, some self adhesive felt or gaffers tape can be used to snug it up a bit.

bernard_L

Shooter
Multi Format
Not sure for this particular model, but a number of Zeiss cameras have an "invisible thread" hidden in what seems to be just a knurled rim. If your camera has a diamond-pattern ring around the lens, try to follow one groove (with a fingernail) for one full turn and see if you end up at the same spot or one groove apart. In the second case, you have an invisible male thread; it takes filters with a female thread of the appropriate diameter. Example:

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
There were 3 kinds: push-on, clip-on and screw-in.

Plus proprietary mounts (e.g. drop-in, Minox etc).

Last edited:

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
Interesting. I have not come across this type of series-filter adapter.

The alternative approach would be acquiring 1 push-on filter, take out the glass and cement a step-up ring to it. From then on more common threaded filters can be used.

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
These types of filter holders were quite common, some included a lens hood. A British company Polysales used to sell them, Polysales were essentially a UK mail order catalogue company selling accessories which they imported or sourced in the UK. The long retired owner has popped up on Forums recently.

I have a Bay 1 Polysales filter holder and 3 or 4 filters, the neat part is the lens hood is the part that screws in to hold the filters in place, it does rotate in the locking ring to position correctly. Spiratone would be the much larger equivalent of Polysales in the US, with a far greater range of products.

Ian

knj

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
filterfind.net. He was very helpful when I recently needed filters for a vintage folder.

Alex Varas

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Shade hood Zeiss Ikon 37mm push-on fits perfectly on the Super Ikonta 531/2 post-war.
I have another shade hood 37mm push-on from another brand and it doesn’t due the thickness of the rail.

Helge

Shooter
Medium Format
That’s the trouble with the 6x9 105mm with lower f stop than 6.3 Ikons (prob Nettars only): The filters are the relatively scarce 37mm.
32mm is far more common.

And you absolutely need a hood for the lens, even when shooting inside. Especially if all you have is eight frames.
Two frames ruined by veiling is much easier to swallow when it’s out of 16 or 12.

Last edited:

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Usually folding cameras can use pushon adaptors for Series lenses. It is fairly uncommon for threaded filters to work on them.

Helge

Shooter
Medium Format
Usually folding cameras can use pushon adaptors for Series lenses. It is fairly uncommon for threaded filters to work on them.

Series filters is very uncommon in the EU, I don't know how common they really are in the US anymore either.
They are very easy to throw out as they are hard to identify, and them people who like the tend to hoard them.

Last edited:

bernard_L

Shooter
Multi Format
@ OP: did you perform the test that I suggested in post #6 above?

bernard_L

Shooter
Multi Format
The OP's question is about a Zeiss camera. So common/uncommon does not mean the same as for a random folder.

My Nettar 6x6 and Super Ikonta 645 both use 35.5 mm filters with a hidden male thread on the camera. My Pro-Tessars 35mm and 85mm (Contaflex) use a similar 60mm hidden thread.

OP
OP

cayenne

Shooter
Hybrid
Slip on filter adapter; series filter adapter.

Measure the outside diameter (OD) of the lens front element and buy accordingly. Get a lens hood too.

A reliable supplier. Let him know what you want/need and Tim will take good care of you:

Thank you....I've found references to what these filters are...but nowhere really to buy them yet.

Any links to places that sell them online?

Thank you again in advance!!

C

OP
OP

cayenne

Shooter
Hybrid
Thank you....I've found references to what these filters are...but nowhere really to buy them yet.

Any links to places that sell them online?

Thank you again in advance!!

C

Oops.....I hit that reply before refreshing my screen and now I see. LOT more suggestions...reading through them now...!!!!

JPD

Shooter
Medium Format
That’s the trouble with the 6x9 105mm with lower f stop than 6.3 Ikons (prob Nettars only): The filters are the relatively scarce 37mm.
32mm is far more common.
I wouldn't call 37 mm push-on filters scarce, as it's the size for many 6x9 cameras and also many 9x12 plate cameras. I have a nice set of 37 mm filters bought from several sellers on eBay. They fit, for example, my Ercona II, my now sold 6x9 Ikontas, Nettars and Bessa I, My E-Bessa, the Eurynar, Dogmar, Skopar, Heliar and Tessar 4,5/135 (A later Tessar takes 42 mm).

Helge

Shooter
Medium Format
I wouldn't call 37 mm push-on filters scarce, as it's the size for many 6x9 cameras and also many 9x12 plate cameras. I have a nice set of 37 mm filters bought from several sellers on eBay. They fit, for example, my Ercona II, my now sold 6x9 Ikontas, Nettars and Bessa I, My E-Bessa, the Eurynar, Dogmar, Skopar, Heliar and Tessar 4,5/135 (A later Tessar takes 42 mm).
Scarcer than 32mm then.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom