Yodobashi Camera Store

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by gr82bart, Mar 25, 2018.

1. gr82bart

gr82bart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One of my favourite camera stores in the world. If you're in Tokyo, go visit. The film section is huge.
    https://www.yodobashi.com

Regards, Art

2. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not as big as it used to be. There were all kinds of films that are now missing.

Also, you can see the decline in the camera industry at Yodobashi. It's nowhere near as crowded as it was 5-7 years ago. My visits to Yodobashi were quite chaotic, with lots of crowds and noise. Today, many times I was one of only a few people browsing the camera section.

3. OP
    OP
    gr82bart

gr82bart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I understand. I try not to lament about the past though.

4. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, but there is more than one Yodobashi in Tokyo. The one in Shinjuku is the most famous (and justifiably so). The film section is a small shadow of what it used to be (it used to take up the entire floor of that building, with multiple coolers dedicated to different film stocks and papers, now it's down to one wall-length cooler) but is still the biggest and best you'll find anywhere.

Also, probably most people order stuff online - that's what I do, even though I have a Yodobashi and BIC not that far from me, they rarely carry enough film for what I want, so online ordering is better. I also order (liquid) chemicals online, so I don't have to carry them around (that gets real heavy real quick).

5. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I was in the Yodobashi in Osaka in December. Huge place, many floors, no one knew where the film was. Finally found it -- not much film, tho there were several boxes of 8x10 film.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  6. halfaman

halfaman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was there five years ago and bought Kodak Portra in 220 format for a vey good price. There as also a touch of mistery regarding 8x10'' Fuji Acros, you have to ask for it in the counter and set a meeting with the assistant for later.

7. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    What I found interesting was all the film boxes on the shelf were empty. One took the empty boxes to the counter and they relaced them with full ones. In December, I bought two 5-roll boxes of Acros 120...around 500 yen a roll. The Ilford rolls were twice the price. I looked at the two boxes of Acros 8x10, but just could not see carrying them around with me for a couple weeks. Should have bought them anyway!

8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I remember seeing photos of the past: rows of fridges, like in a supermarket.
    Again, a "news" thread turning into something nostalgic...

9. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There was ZERO Kodak C41 film in the Kyoto Yodobashi when I was there last week. I had intended to shoot Ektar film exclusively for my color needs and did not think I needed to bring any to Japan of all places. I was shocked, almost stunned, to see that there was none available. I shot Fujifilm C41 in its place (12 rolls).

10. etn

etn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And the full ones are stored in a fridge. That's cool (pun intended)

11. halfaman

halfaman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is a real pitty, in 2013 they had 220 format available for all color films. Fuji and Kodak, negative and slide.