Xpan/TX-2 Prices Going Up, Up, & Away!!!

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Yes, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Yes

Yes Subscriber

Shooter:
    Digital
    Just saw this listing at Leica Shop and while it is distinct in its condition and ancillary items, it's still amazing that these cameras are surging in prices. I think the resurgence of film and the limited pool of availability is quite high on this kit and is the main force behind it. Maybe someday somebody will tackle a proper digital version of this camera.

For now, I'll hold my kit close to my chest.

http://www.leicashop.com/vintage_en/hasselblad-xpan-ii-outfit-sku30796-1.html

2. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let's see if it sells at that price. I have my doubts.

3. OP
    OP
    Yes

Yes Subscriber

Shooter:
    Digital
    you're probably right. More like it'll be in line with the $3,000-$3500 it seems to goes for now-a-days. Still interesting to see.

4. LeftCoastKid

LeftCoastKid Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Specimens with moderate wear (camera with the same lens shown on the camera noted by the OP) are selling on eBay at the moment in the $2800-$3500 USD range; a bit cheaper, but as noted, a considerable jump from two or three years ago. Pity: The camera is one of only two (the other being an M3), I'm "lusting" for.

5. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's about what I paid for a mint TX-2 and all three lenses. I didn't enjoy paying that kind of money, but I really really wanted it. That listing will probably sell, eventually.

6. FujiLove

FujiLove Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If anything, the price seems to be falling on eBay. There are a few nice examples selling for around £1750 at the moment, whereas they were over £2000 a couple of months ago.

7. mpirie

mpirie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I guess I'll hold on to mine for a while more then :smile:

8. Alan W

Alan W Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I wanted an xpan for many years before finally getting one on ebay with the 45mm lens.$1100 dollars for a rarely used one.I got it and kept up the "rarely used" tradition,putting about 5 rolls of film through it over the course of a year before finally selling it.I couldn't find enough situations where I had to use the panoramic mode and as for using it as a "regular" 35mm camera,I just didn't see the point.Thats why they invented the hexar rf.A 50mm f2 lens-two stops faster than the Hasselblad and the whole package about half the weight.

9. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That listing is with only a single lens. It will never sell at nearly 6,000 euros.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  10. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I rarely use the WideLux F7. Instead I use the Hasseblad 903 SWC much more.

11. Alan W

Alan W Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sirius.I had a Widelux 7 and used it a whole lot more than the xpan.A fine Camera but mine had to go in for shutter speed cleaning three times while I had it.I love the camera but repair bills got me-I finally sold it to a bloke in Spain who does his own work on the Widelux-I miss it,though.I have also used the Russian Horizon S3 and found it to be more flexible than the Widelux with its many shutter speeds,but I kept getting overlapping frames.Now if I want a panoramic frame I use my Mamiya 7 with the panoramic adapter,and with the 43mm lens its even wider than the Xpan standard lens-Two Cameras in one!

12. Alan W

Alan W Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    By the way,I never could get used to a wide angle shot in a square frame.I only use an 80mm on my 500cm.

13. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:

I sent my WideLux F7 in several times to get rid of banding. The best thing to do is to shoot often. Second best is to leave the camera empty and regularly fire the shutter many times. Third best is to leave the camera empty and fire it off several hundred times before loading it with film.

14. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:

Try the SWC with horizontal and vertical lines near the edges and make sure the spirit bubble is level. Then look at the prints. That will make you a believer. I used the 50mm and SWC extensively this last May during my trip to Greece and the Greek islands. The SWC got the most use.