WTB - Really Big Tripod

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by illumiquest, Mar 2, 2018.

1. illumiquest

illumiquest Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looking for something to hold a 45lb 16x20 monorail camera. I've tried the Majestics and they flex too much. My workflow kind of necessitates a raisable center column which nixes the wooden ones.

Any suggestions?

2. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    saltzman--probably two saltzmans---16x20 monorail will have very large extensions and almost certainly require two tripods to prevent resonant frequencies of sway up down and left right. Experience from 11x14 monorail....if you use 2 tripods, you can get away with a lot less "heavy" in the tripods--so try to 2 smaller tripods.

3. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Saltzman, it will handle a 8x10 Deardorff perfectly, a 11 X14 nicely as long as you keep the bellows extention under 3 feet. 16 x 20 ? Maybe, but that's a damn big camera . You need to find some sort of old video , tv camera rig. They had some massive stuff.
    Saltzman made massive camera stands, so did Deardorff, hard to find.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    On the odd occasion that I’ve maxed out the 40” bellows on my 8x10” Sinar P2, I’ve used two tripods, heavier one in back, and the front with a ballhead to make it easier to set and stabilize the whole setup.

5. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looking at my saltzmans I see that one of them with a larger base plate attached to the existing base plate might work pretty good--so long as you get two points of attachment that are far apart enough. So saltzman with a larger baseplate--a larger plate bolted to the existing baseplate would work. say one that's about 1.5 - 2' in length-then you can attach the monorail at 2 sections at either end of the larger plate to provide the stability--the large udder gear of the saltzman will provide adequate tilt control like a regular camera stand--they are very sturdy and lock down tight.

6. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    O’Connor Hydro-ped. There is one on eBay now. mshchem got me thinking, motion picture stuff would be a good way to go. Big hydraulic column, lightweight. The thing will hold Mitchell BNCR steady.

7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Which Majestic model did you try? I used to have a #4800 leg set with #1900 geared head for my 11x14, I think would easily have handled your camera. The 4800 has a 1 7/8" geared center column and can rise to 8 feet with legs and column extended. Here's a photo of a similar one, not mine. If you don't extend the legs, it won't flex, I've climbed on mine without it moving, I'm 200+ lbs.
    upload_2018-3-3_6-27-34.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  8. choiliefan

choiliefan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  9. Mr Bill

Mr Bill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just looking around on the internet I find a Davis & Sanford rated at 60lb. Currently listed on Tiffen website. It weighs 30lb, list price about $1,300. Pretty limited in height capability, roughly 31 to 47 inches.

http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=davissanford&itemnum=PSGAIRLIFT60B

Personally I think I might be inclined to build my own stand for it, but it'd probably depend on the exact usage you have in mind. If it has to be pretty, as well as easily adjustable, commercial may be the best solution.

But if you only need a couple of different working heights, a couple of rigid "spacers" of different heights might suffice on top of a rigid platform. Perhaps you build an asymmetric 3-wheeled cart with a platform that accepts some sort of camera mount... People tend the think that a camera stand must be extraordinarily heavy-duty for heavy cameras, but I think a lot of this is brought on by the desire to have a single, relatively skinny post to be the sole connection between camera and tripod. A lot of effort goes into making that post be able to resist side forces.

10. awty

awty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe a surveyor tripod?

images (1).jpeg

11. Fritzthecat

Fritzthecat Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  12. OP
    OP
    illumiquest

illumiquest Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Heres the camera and myself if that gives you some idea of size. The main rail is 4' long so it's quite long and this makes most tripods and heads less that ideal.

39757937005_b221bd82b4_z.jpg

13. Ces1um

Ces1um Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    have you considered just pouring a block of concrete everywhere you want to go and just putting that NASA grade camera on top of that? That's one large, heavy duty camera! (insert that's what he/she said joke here). I'm wondering if maybe a tripod built for a large telescope may be in order given the size/weight?

http://www.jimsmobile.com/buy_wheeley_bars.htm
    photo taken from same website.

seriously though, tell us more about that camera.

Attached Files:

14. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Have you talked to the folks at Ries Tripod or Berlebach about it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  15. ArtScar2

ArtScar2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    PM sent with idea

16. destroya

destroya Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    look at a telescope stand

17. choiliefan

choiliefan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You really should look at the Quickset Hercules tripod. The legs are rated at 150lbs. The geared head has a 4.5 X 4.5 inch plate which is dovetailed. I paid $20 for the whole enchilada at a yard sale a couple years ago. It is one heavy duty SOB. Remove the 4" diameter pad feet and add spikes and you are good outdoors as well.

18. guangong

guangong Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a massive friction headed cinema tripod that Ken Hansen just wanted out the door that I used for my Arriflex that I was going to suggest but after seeing your camera, I would listen to those suggesting a couple Saltzmans.

19. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A big cinema tripod would easily handle it, but there is never a center column on them. There are however risers in different heights which are very rigid, but not adjustable. I have Mitchell style heads, risers and tripods. Guangong reminded me of a big Mitchell friction head I have, certainly good for 150lbs.

20. daleeman

daleeman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A HumV with a M60 gun mount might allow you to drive right up to where you want to go and get those remote landscapes.

Do let us know what you find. I think the telescope rigs with the tracking motors is the best answer, other than a HumV.

You could yell “Fire in the Hole”