WTB: Pentax MX with working exposure/light meter

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by PGraham3, Dec 9, 2017.

1. PGraham3

PGraham3 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Howdy, APUG!
    I've been on the lookout for an excellent-looking-and-working PENTAX MX for a little while, and ya know what, despite all these ones for sale on ebay, japanese auction sites, etc, there are so many of these out there without working exposure/light meters or some other malfunction (Is this normal?), and I found that many advertised as "mint" or "excellent" are without a working meter. Sure, I can shoot without the meter, but just the convenience sometimes ya know. I did indeed find a few with all apparently working, but price was super-exuberant, and sellers appeared to be a little shady.

APUG has been super awesome to me amid purchasing and selling several items, so I just thought I'd ask:

Does anyone have a excellent-looking-and-working Pentax MX (with or without lens) that they would like to sell?

Thanks!
    -Paul

2. georg16nik

georg16nik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Pentax mx lightmeter thingy Is easy to fix - unscrew the bottom plate (3 screws) and check that the electrical contacts (switch) is not slightly bent-away - 1 minute fix.

The other issue, which is a bit more hassle to fix, is when the DOF preview disengages from the self-timer lever (which governs the DOF preview when pressed), so you will need to partially disassemble the body.

Besides from these two issues, it's pretty nice camera with an awesome and quite big screen...

I put Pentax MX second to Ricoh XR-1, which imho is marvelous K mount body that adds features MX lacks - multi-exposures, mirror lock(wen using the self timer feature), mechanical metal blade Seiko shutter, which can run without battery and is more reliable in sub zero temperatures ~ -25 °C, etc.

3. nick_clark

nick_clark Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi Paul, I was in a similar boat.

Ended up finding a clean looking black paint MX and had the seller send it straight to Eric Hendrickson for a CLA. Came back working and looking flawless (with a working light meter). Up side of this approach is that I know it's been reliably serviced...

4. OP
    OP
    PGraham3

PGraham3 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello, Georg. Yeah, I bought a Ricoh XR-2 amid a venture to Japan a few years ago and used it for a little awhile until the lightmeter completely crapped-out. After that, the camera started getting whacky. Good camera, though.

Hey, Nick. Great tip. Never had heard of Eric Hendrickson before, and this may be a good idea. He seems very kind and reliable. However, as I live and work in Seoul, it would be a little more costly to go this route, but doable. Thanks!

5. EarlJam

EarlJam Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. Jeff Bradford

Jeff Bradford Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bought my MX in marginal condition and sent it in for CLA. The overall cost seems to be about the same as buying one reported to be in "mint condition", but I know mine will be fully functional for years to come.

7. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The light meter issue isn't always that simple. I have two MXs, one in gorgeous black. Both drain the meter cells in a matter of weeks, although the meter works properly. The chrome body worked perfectly for several years (both I bought used) and then the cell drain problem began. A nearby repair facility failed to fix it, although I told them to keep the camera for several weeks. I've removed the base plate on each; the switch in question works properly, according to my digital VOM. There is a tiny current drain somewhere in the metering circuits of these otherwise perfectly functioning cameras. This is the sort of issue which a purchaser would have real difficulty in detecting. Time for a trip to Eric Hendrickson, alas.

One other fact which may or may not concern you is that on my examples the shutter speed dial is stiff enough to make changing speeds with only one finger very difficult. Other users have also mentioned this. Should you buy that black MX, watch for the matching winder. I find that it greatly improves the handling of the camera, especially in shooting verticals. As always, YMMV!

8. OP
    OP
    PGraham3

PGraham3 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the info! Much appreciated! I don’t use RFF at all, but sent a PM to the seller to possibly work out a deal. However, there appears to be several guys ahead of me, so probably no luck on this one. The search continues...

9. nick_clark

nick_clark Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Have you looked over at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/ ? Great community and the place to be looking for Pentax gear. You'll see a lot more MX's over there than here or RFF (or anywhere actually).

10. OP
    OP
    PGraham3

PGraham3 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the info! I’ve always been a Nikon shooter, and I love Nikon, but simply been experimenting with a few different rangefinders and SLR brands last couple of years. Pentax in my sights now, and from what I’ve heard and read, the MX is a pretty good place to start for an analog-style amateur-pro small-solid camera. I primarily shoot with my Nikon F3, and it’s awesome, but it’s a tank. The LX appears really cool as well, but prices seem super-inflated everywhere. Thanks again! Will look into Pentax Forums.

11. nick_clark

nick_clark Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The MX is a lovely bit of kit and definitely a good way to dip your toes in the world of Pentax. Get one with a Pentax-M 50/f1.4 and you're set :smile:

The LX is a beast but expensive and prone to needing expensive CLA's...

12. OP
    OP
    PGraham3

PGraham3 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yeah, that's what I hear about the LX, which turns me off from pursuing one. The LX was the top-of-the-line Pentax of it's day, just like the F3 was for Nikon; and in fact both were released in the same year: 1980. Nick, as you mentioned, the MX woujld be a good way to dip my toes in the world of Pentax, which is what I'll probably do. And while it's a whole different ballpark conversation, I wonder how the Pentax LX compares to the Nikon F3... and I'm sure this has been conversed a hundred times over before. Heh heh.

13. georg16nik

georg16nik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got a chrome and black MXs;
    The funny thing is that I rarely put batteries - I just shoot them as I shoot my Barnack Leicas.
    Meters on both of my MX are fine but the funny thing is that my Ricoh XR-1 meter is much more precise and to my liking - after hundred if not thousands of rolls in all these cameras. Although, the huge screen of the MX is spectacular...

14. Jean Poitiers

Jean Poitiers Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Bonjour / Hi,

I am not very active here at APUG, but quite so on Pentax Forums as "Jean Poitiers" as well. I have a very nice chrome MX that has been CLA'ed by Eric Hendrickson and I also have a nice black MX that I could sell, too. I can sell with lens if you have a preference for something sppecific ... I have a few "double copies" sitting around.

Cheers, John - my real name and an ex-pat American living in France.

15. OP
    OP
    PGraham3

PGraham3 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Howdy, John.
    Just sent ya a PM.

16. Jean Poitiers

Jean Poitiers Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi ... just sent a response PM. Salut, J

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.