WTB: Linhof 4x5 but don't know which model

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by J Durr, Feb 8, 2018.

1. J Durr

J Durr Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I want to find a nice Linhof 4x5 but I do not know which model to get. Any advice on model adn lenses? Thanks

2. jtk

jtk Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    That seems like a budget question. The cheapest may be a Kardan Color...if all you're after is the Linhof brand.

3. OP
    OP
    J Durr

J Durr Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Not a budget issue. I want a field camera. Thanks

4. wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't own a Linhof camera so I don't have first hand experience. However, I have been looking into the purchase of one because their field cameras are kinda like press cameras. Anyway, here is a site that discusses the various models of the Linhof Field/press cameras. It might be of use ...

https://www.cameraquest.com/techs.htm

5. OP
    OP
    J Durr

J Durr Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Very good link, thanks.

6. stefan w

stefan w Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have one for sale. PM me.

7. OP
    OP
    J Durr

J Durr Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi Stefan, I saw your III for sale. I am really looking for a newer one, maybe V or newer. BUT,
    I am thinking about yours.

thanks

8. stefan w

stefan w Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's priced low for that reason. But you get 95% of the Technika V camera, plus the accessories.... ;o)

And a hardcover Linhof book.

9. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think if you gave more details of what you need in terms of required movements of the Linhof folks could answer your questions more completely. I got the cheapest Press Standard Linhof from Ebay a few years back for $200 . Even with limited features, it's an amazing camera.

10. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you want to use the rangefinder, try to find a kit with three cammed lenses. You might still need to have it calibrated, but you'll have the cams, which are ground individually for specific lenses and serial number matched. The III uses a different style of cam from later versions. The III and IV require that cams be ground for a specific body and lens. The V and Master Tech have a zeroed groundglass, so cams are interchangeable between V and MT bodies, but this is not advantageous as one would think, because there are few used lenses out there with cams together with the lens. If you want your own lens cammed for a IV/V/MT, you can send it to Linhof service, and you should send the body in at the same time to have the rangefinder checked and the infinity stops and scales mounted, even though the cam doesn't need to be matched to the body for a V or MT. Individual repair persons like Richard Ritter can make cams for a Tech III.

The IV uses a knob for the front rise. The V and MT have a pump lever, which is easier to reach with wide lenses. The MT has a flap on top, which gives you a little extra rise for lenses in the 72-90mm range, provided they have enough coverage to use that rise (i.e., the most recent modern lenses).

Those are the main differences among the rangefinder Technikas.

11. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I enjoy being able to use the rangefinder on my IV with the normal 150mm lens, it handles just like a press camera. I use it with the sports finder, it's quick to use. When I am using my 90mm or 240mm I wanted to get them crammed but I found I was using the groundglass in these instances anyway, making the chore of having cams made pointless. Worth considering. I also don't use anything wider than a 90mm, so the flap and rise of the later cameras is lost on me in terms of functionality. If I'm doing something that requires extreme movements I am going to be out with a monorail anyway. The Technikas are beautiful made and extremely versatile cameras. Their monorails are superb as well and can be picked up for loose change on the 'bay.

12. jtk

jtk Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've owned a couple of Linhof cameras, both press and view. I've also used Toyo field and view.. Toyo field was at least the equal technically to Linhof and (confirm this) was a LOT more pack-able. That said, for large format packablity, I'd prefer a Deardorff clone (as do most landscape photographers, seemingly).

13. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have used my Technica in a backpacking situation, jtk is right, it's not ideal for that-- too heavy-- although it is quicker to set up than a wooden folder (most of the time you leave the lens mounted and all you have to do is pull the front standard out to the infinity stops and focus).

The Linhof Kardan Color is another model you might consider. It is sort of a hybrid between a monorail and a Technika. It uses a Technika front standard and the rear movement capabilities of a Technika but the whole thing is mounted on a monorail. It is light and compact and can be found for $200-300. Many of the Technika accessories will fit which can be very handy. There was an early and late model, the later one had back rise and an innovative bellows arrangement for short lenses.

14. rknewcomb

rknewcomb Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Early one is Linhof Color
    Later one with rear rise is Kardan Color
    One can take either into the field but still kind of heavy.

15. pchaps

pchaps Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If you want a Tachihara 4x5 which is lightweight, let me know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.