Latest member
retina_restoration
Recent bookmarks
Trader history for bkarasek (0)

bkarasek

Shooter
Medium Format
hello,

I have acquired 2x 150' rolls of 70mm film and a Hassie back with two cassettes but I would like to acquire several more cassettes. Shipping to Canada.

OP
OP

bkarasek

Shooter
Medium Format
There were heaps on eBay a couple days ago. Anyway, it doesn't matter which brand you get, they're all compatible. Expect to pay up to about $15 each in excellent condition - they do wear out and become leaky.

Is there a way of fixing the "leakyness"? What is it that starts to leak light, the felt in the film slit or the caps at each end?
What's the best way to check for leakyness.....? I was think that inserting a small piece of unexposed film into the cassette, turning on the lights and the develop to check if there was a leak.

polyglot

Shooter
Medium Format
I think it's mostly loss of felt that causes light-leaks, though if the cap starts to spread a bit it could leak around the corner where the film entrance is. Keep your cartridges in canisters if possible to further reduce risk, especially when there is no leader poking out.

In order to minimise felt loss, I mark half my cartridges as Source (load with fresh film) and the other half as Sink (exposed film goes into these), which means film is always flowing the same direction over the felt and not bending it back & forth. Maybe that helps, maybe it doesn't - the main thing is don't buy really beat-up old canisters.

OP
OP

bkarasek

Shooter
Medium Format
What is the lenght, #of feet (metres), of film that can be spooled into the cassettes? I now have 2x 150m of Kodak Double-X 70mm, a Nikor developing reel (what is the capacity of the Nikor reel?)

BUMP

polyglot

Shooter
Medium Format
Depends on the film. For most kinds, about 15 feet and for tech pan (has a thinner base), 20 feet. If you have the usual Nikor 70mm spiral, it's 15 feet I think.

I take it you bought 2405 from the Canadian guy? It's good stuff but 150 FEET per can not 150m. I develop it for about 8:00-9:00 in Xtol 1+1 rotary and you can get EI400 from it. More like 160 in slower developers like Rodinal and HC110.

patrickth

Shooter
Medium Format
I had an ad running on C.L. for a week trying to find interest in my Hassie and 70mm stash. Not one response. PM coming your way.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom