Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day - Is it dying? Can it be resuscitated?

Grain rain

A
Grain rain

Dancer In Motion

A
Dancer In Motion

Birds eye view

A
Birds eye view

EmptyName 7.jpg

A
EmptyName 7.jpg

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A Modest Mouse
Recent bookmarks

MattKing

Format
Multi Format
I would have thought Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Reykjavik, or Moscow would have had that distinction. All are much further north, by latitude, than Ottawa, and Moscow's winters are (in)famous. The others are all on the sea, but Moscow is not...

I would have guessed that as well, but:
1678210964207.png

1678211009036.png

Xylo

Format
Multi Format
I think we can blame a combination of having a continental climate and being east of the Great Lakes for that.
I know Montreal (I live near) has some pretty brutal winters that combine cold and humidity. But the worst I've seen is Winnipeg... it's so cold that if you send your dog out, you have to bring along a hammer and chisel to set it free 😁

MattKing

Format
Multi Format
FWIW, I would have used "losing all its energy" rather than "dying" in the thread title.

Perry Way

Format
Multi Format
I would have thought Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Reykjavik, or Moscow would have had that distinction. All are much further north, by latitude, than Ottawa, and Moscow's winters are (in)famous. The others are all on the sea, but Moscow is not...

I would have thought of Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia with its record -42.2 celcius or -44 farenheit which is lower than -36.1 celcius as Ottawa's 1923 record low.

But what do I know? hehe

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Format
Multi Format
Colder record cold, however, is not colder average winter. Lhasa or Kathmandu would have been another pair of possible competitors -- but Tibet is part of China now, and Nepal may not be independent either (I don't keep track of Himalayan politics very well).

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Format
Multi Format

The Gulf Stream warms Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, and Reykjavik.

mcfitz

Format
Multi Format
@Xylo, the Chinook hits Calgary, not Edmonton.

Edmonton has ten months of winter and two of poor tobaggoning.

Xylo

Format
Multi Format
I don't really know as I don't live there. But I do know that when temperatures go from -20° to 20° in a single day, it's got to be pretty memorable.

Xylo

Format
Multi Format
But if we get back to the WPPD. Is there something that we collectively can do to bring new people?
Any ideas?

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Format
Multi Format
But if we get back to the WPPD. Is there something that we collectively can do to bring new people?
Any ideas?

When people sign up for a WPPD print exchange and do not send prints to the other participants who did send prints, follow through with some gruesome punishment such as making them set through many hours of unrelated family vacation and holiday slide shows without bathroom privileges.

Tom Miller

Format
Pinhole
When people sign up for a WPPD print exchange and do not send prints to the other participants who did send prints, follow through with some gruesome punishment such as making them set through many hours of unrelated family vacation and holiday slide shows without bathroom privileges.

Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day has never organized a print exchange.

That said, the return rates for pinhole photo swaps is disappointing. This year I received a card from 50% of the folks I sent a card to (which was the entire list). Last year it was 64%. I'm not sure what can be done about it. I understand a little bit, to be honest; I think I missed sending cards one year when life piled up much more than anticipated. The best thing to do is send out cards with no expectations, and enjoy every one that does come back.

Xylo

Format
Multi Format
the return rates for pinhole photo swaps is disappointing.

One thing that is killing print and postcard exchanges in general is the price of stamps.
I live in Canada and on another site I go to somebody organized a postcard exchange. When it came up, I called the post office to check the postage fees for a single 4x6 postcard.
Canada: 1.23$
USA: 1.50$
International: 3.12$

So, if I have 10 people to send cards to and that they happen not to live in the US or Canada, I'm looking at upwards of 30 dollars spent. And that's not counting getting the cards printed.
So, being responsible and fair, I decided to opt out. But I know that not everybody has the same level of respect towards other participating members as I do.

MattKing

Format
Multi Format
When it came up, I called the post office to check the postage fees for a single 4x6 postcard.
Canada: 1.23$
USA: 1.50$
International: 3.12$

You may have been over-quoted :smile:
It is the same rate as standard letters - $0.92 + GST for Canada, in packs of 10

Xylo

Format
Multi Format
I just checked the website and in the Montreal area, these are the numbers it gives me today for all letters under 30 grams.
And that's not counting the 7% GST and the 9.975% provincial sales tax which I had totally forgotten about.
You may have been over-quoted :smile:

I just discovered something very Canada Post though... the prices in the calculator and the stamp price web page don't match!
But Still, at 1.30$ for the US and 2.71$ for International, it's still not exactly cheap, especially when compared to the USPS rates.

MattKing

Format
Multi Format
Okay
I just checked the website and in the Montreal area, these are the numbers it gives me today for all letters under 30 grams.
And that's not counting the 7% GST and the 9.975% provincial sales tax which I had totally forgotten about.

I just discovered something very Canada Post though... the prices in the calculator and the stamp price web page don't match!
But Still, at 1.30$ for the US and 2.71$ for International, it's still not exactly cheap, especially when compared to the USPS rates.
Now I'm "curious" - which website address gives the incorrect info?
And in addition, do you have to pay PST on mailing letters? We don't. Is there any chance that those higher rates have the taxes included?

Xylo

Format
Multi Format
Okay

Now I'm "curious" - which website address gives the incorrect info?
And in addition, do you have to pay PST on mailing letters? We don't. Is there any chance that those higher rates have the taxes included?
I must say that I honestly don't know. I thought that the calculator page was the right one, but then you pointed me to the stamp prices page and it completely puzzled me. I did the calculation and the higher rates don't seem to include the taxes as the rate it gives me has nothing to do with the regular mail rate + either the GST or PST or both.
And depending which post office I go to, I will often get quoted different tariffs, especially for postcards.

And yes, in Quebec we have to pay provincial sales tax on everything. Heck, if they could tax the air they would do so.

Though I must say Canada Post here is not very reliable. They've delivered stuff I ordered online to other cities instead of my home (one time they even shipped to Alberta!) and last time I called their 1-800 to try and figure out what was happening, the lady told me that they are not responsible for the proper delivery of packages shipped from outside the country... that's what I call service.

MattKing

Format
Multi Format
Last time I looked, Costco was selling a roll of 100 "letter rate", "permanent" stamps for about $87.00 plus GST (and PST I guess in Quebec).

Xylo

Format
Multi Format
I couldn't tell as I haven't had a Costco card in a few years. But they probably have the same price as Staples since it's a regulated product.

MattKing

Format
Multi Format
I couldn't tell as I haven't had a Costco card in a few years. But they probably have the same price as Staples since it's a regulated product.

No, retailers are entitled to discount the 100 stamp rolls if they wish.

Don_ih

Format
35mm RF
It hardly matters, when it comes to the postcard exchange on here, at least. I send almost no card to Canadian addresses.

I don't care about the expense of sending the cards. Getting the many cards in return is worth it. I like seeing what other people make.

I'd probably join a pinhole postcard or print exchange, if we made one on here. I like exchanges.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Format
Multi Format
Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day has never organized a print exchange.

That said, the return rates for pinhole photo swaps is disappointing. This year I received a card from 50% of the folks I sent a card to (which was the entire list). Last year it was 64%. I'm not sure what can be done about it. I understand a little bit, to be honest; I think I missed sending cards one year when life piled up much more than anticipated. The best thing to do is send out cards with no expectations, and enjoy every one that does come back.

The big thing that kills pinhole photo swaps is total lack of follow through which is what happened on APUG.

Xylo

Format
Multi Format
I don't care about the expense of sending the cards. Getting the many cards in return is worth it. I like seeing what other people make.
I too love receiving cards in return. but these days the money is tight, so I have to make every penny count.
Heck, I just shot and developed a roll of 20 year old Konica (rebranded under the Shoppers Drugmart Life brand). I'm surprised it still worked and that I didn't have a ton of fog.
Still need to scan it all.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom