...... With Elephants

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by benjiboy, Jul 11, 2018.

1. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    One of my favourite fashion photographs of all time is Richard Avedon's "Dovima with Elephants" in which this very slim tall elegant model in a full-length Christian Dior evening gown with a white sash is flanked by two elephants that Avedon shot in 1955, that I'm sure most members are familiar with I found out today that the regal-looking imperious Dovima's given name was Dorothy. Virginia. Margret Juba and her exotic-sounding name was made up of the the the first two letters of each of her three forenames. and she was one of the highest paid models in the World earning $60 an hour when top models in New York usually got $25.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. jtk

jtk Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Avedon was unrivaled. He not only made his mark, he immortalized it. Everybody tries to copy his approach..or that of Penn. Or they aren't even aware of light.

3. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    That certainly is an iconic picture.
    And regards her name, that is a Very Interesting story as well. :smile:

4. awty

awty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting when i googled the name i saw this picture of his notes to the printer of one of his portraits. images (4).jpeg

5. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Any real printer offering that image for Avedon to correct would be embarassed .... this is marketing to make it look like Avedon printed his own work.

6. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Bob, there's a parallel thread about Eliot Porter dye transfer prints for sale by some outfit that leaves a lot of things unanswered. He did print some of his own images, but not in volume or at a late date. I am aware of who did commercial printing for him - both an assistant and a specific big lab. But that is the kind of disclosure I would expect from a reputable broker, as well as the actual date of printing and whether or not any of these have been on display somewhere, because dye transfers are only relatively permanent and quite affected by UV etc. Since only some like the like the bird prints are specifically attributed to him, I guess a potential customer would have to ask in the other cases, and hopefully they have
    a correct answer.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  7. awty

awty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just to clarify I understand it was an excerpt from a book saying it was notes from Avedon to a printer, not that Avedon printed it. Seems to be other articles suggest that they weren't Avedons notes. I have no idea what is correct, but as a novice printing hobbiest I find it interesting how prints were made.

8. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Look at the photograph presented, my point is if any printer came up with that as a first test for Avedon to really look at they would be fired... A novice highschool student would make a better first print.

I still say these notes, (yes I have read the smell of marketing bs)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.