Members
Latest member
Anthony_
Recent bookmarks

mitrajoon

Shooter
Medium Format
Is it 1/4 or 3/8?

Edit: Since posting I've been told the correct answer is both. The traditional tripod attachment hole on the bottom takes a 3/8 screw. The Accessory shoe on the top can be removed and the camera can be attached to a tripod upside. That takes a 1/4 screw. I guess that's for folks who don't want to view their image upside down :wink:

Happy to hear if someone has different info.

Last edited:

shutterfinger

Shooter
4x5 Format
3/8 - 16 and 1/4 -20 have been the standard tripod socket mounts from camera beginnings or at least the second century. Small cameras use the 1/4 -20 mount while larger cameras use 3/8 - 16 . reducer bushings are available to allow a 3/8 mount to be used on a 1/4 - 20 mount screw. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/sear...&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=
Many tripods have a dual size mount stud or an accessory stud in either size for use of either size mount thread.

Neil Poulsen

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
I had an SP for about a year, and for my purposes, the tripod mount was positioned too far to the rear.

I've always used Bogan's hexagonal plates with the associated heads. I removed the tripod base, thereby leaving a hole towards the rear. Then, I added a hole towards the front of the camera and attached front and back a Bogan "Universal" plate. This moved the center of balance forward an inch or a little more, and it left a very solid system for mounting the camera onto a tripod. (Rock solid!)

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom