wim-wenders

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by cliveh, Aug 1, 2018.

1. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  2. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "get over it, Wim"

3. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's 4 words :D

pentaxuser

4. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Speaking at an exhibition of his Polaroid works, he said photography was dead and thinks mobile phones are to blame."

If photography is dead, why is he having an exhibition?

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Hey, do not confuse Wim Wenders with facts!

6. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Digi_snap_ography.

7. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Geez, Wim. Things change. I'll bet you're not shooting your movies with the ancient Arri 16BL your're pictured with either.

8. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I think he's got a point. And I say that as someone who uses his phone (and DSLR, and film cameras and more) for photos.

Different tools do different tasks. But Mr. Wenders has a point in that the attitude towards what photography IS has changed because of phones...photography is now disposable. It means nothing. It's been devalued, in other words.

Think we're wrong? Ask any commercial or working photographer how much of their day is spent dealing with low-ballers or clients who haven't changed their rates in 25 years or people who demand everything for nothing. Photography means little to most people, is why.

It's pointless to say "but he's having an exhibition" or "but people still make oil paintings!" because the central point isn't whether photography still exists, but rather what is it worth to people now.
    Google "digital dark age" for some reading on this topic.

9. Arthurwg

Arthurwg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, he makes great photos.

10. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Great film maker. Paid his dues, produced a lot of art. Makes interesting comments if one takes a moment to actually read them.

He's not addressing somebody who only produces prints using traditional media. He's a film maker.

I'm happy to call all sorts of things "photography," but "photographers" are typically stumped when somebody shows them photo silkscreen or a gorgeous slow motion video, or for that matter a giant mural in public space (all of which I can love and call photography). .

11. rgeorge911

rgeorge911 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Funny, I’m getting into one of Wender’s books right now (Pixels of Paul Cezanne...), which is really stimulating. I’d be further along, but he’s got me watching movies, his (Paris, Texas), and others (Ingmar Bergman, Ozu, etc.). So, if thinking of visual art is what I was after, I’m already pleased.

I do agree that still images have become less valuable, and that sensationalism is the requirement to get even a second glance in a broad audience. But how can it be worse than what the invention of photography did to painting? Based on that, I’m not too worried. Of course, photography is not my living, so it’s easy not to worry. I’m sure there’s a place for all of it in art.

12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Somewhere there is another thread here on just this Wim Wenders interview.

13. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If sensationalism is the same as "impact" (I don't think it is), then it has been a part of really good pictures for a long time. "Impact" is what has always been what caused a viewer to stop and study a good picture. It was what made a picture "interesting", not technique, equipment, film, etc. That is still true but sensationalism acts more like a hit to the head and usually is a "cheap shot" causing a glance and then a "walk away".....Regards!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. rgeorge911

rgeorge911 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    We are in agreement. That glance you refer to is more than most images get today, in my opinion (only). Some images with impact never get the chance.

16. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    When sensationalism is made the only currency showing worth to an image, we lose subtlety...grace...nuance...and all kinds of powerful forms of creative expression. We even lose the *notion* of there even being other forms of creative expression.

17. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    The two thread should be merged.

18. ozmoose

ozmoose Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wim Wenders exhibits and gives interviews, he gets noticed. Mobile phone shooters post their visual effluvia on Flickr or other such sites, and are quickly forgotten. So it goes.

Colin Corneau (#8 and #15) and rgeorge911 (#11) echoe my thoughts about all this. Not only has photography in general become devalued now, but image standards in general have fallen to such dismally low levels that most people (excepting posters on Photrio, of course) no longer know or even care what a good photograph is. "I can do the same as that" and "you could do that" are the most common responses I hear from those viewing images at the few local (in Hobart and Launceston, Tasmania) gallery exhibitions I now and then see, occasionally one worthy of a return visit but largely so trite (often at the local community level, I must note) that I have to force myself to look at poorly taken, badly post-processed and cheaply printed digicrap in fancy frames which, sadly, seem to impress the proles more than the visuals. As an example, a recent show (self sponsored and funded) at our local community center, 40 'hand printed' (probably on a Fuji Frontier at a Harvey Normans retail store) images of otters taken in a zoo, with cute camera-magazine captions, promoted as "a housewife-photographer" and which must have cost the ;artist' a small fortune to prepare (or her businessman-partner a nice tax deduction) and resulted in ONE sale ,I suspect by prearrangement by a family member or friend. Sadly, all this now seems to be the norm.

There are many good photographers, but certainly here in Australia, what I see reflects the sad fact that those talented artists who strive to let their visuals stand on their own, are mostly overwhelmed by socially ambitious shooters who know how to use marketing and hype to draw attention to their usually undistinguished but well (= expensively) framed work. Depressingly low quality standards prevail and seemingly are accepted as the norm.

Mobile phones have their place in image making, but in the right hands. For the rest, the two Fs - Facebook and Flickr - are ideal forums for one's 14,293 shots of last weekend's pool party or the disco bash. May I say, I have never seen much of interest visually in the first F, but on occasion the second has offered some interesting posts.

Mr Wenders is fortunate that he has his reputation as an artist to fall back on and a loyal and dedicated following to support his endeavors. Also that he did a lot of his work in the 1980s and 1990s when photography was a different art with different standards and audiences.

Me, now that I no longer (I hope only temporarily) take photographs for publication, my best images are printed (in my own darkroom) and hung on our walls for family and friends to see. a captive audience, to be sure, but I'm satisfied with this. Beyond that, I no longer have any ambitions to impress the world with my visual viewpoints.

Horses for courses, as the locals here are fond of saying.

19. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    make sure you don't miss wings of desire, every frame is painterly, a real work of art !

=
    ozmoose, im not a regular on flickr but its not hard see stuff that catches my interest often.
    there's a pretty lively imagemaking community there ( and on instant gramms too ! )
    it just matters which alley you end up wandering down... there's a lot of fluff too ..

and i agree you can give a crappy box camera to a lot of people they will make box camera photos,
    you give one to someone who takes the time and effort to figure out what to do with it, you get more than a belfy.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2018
  20. rgeorge911

rgeorge911 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Will be sure to see it!

21. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  22. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  23. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can there be an acceptable answer here, of all places, to the OT question ? I would look first to NYTimes Photo, for example.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  24. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Already two extant threads on this dull subject.

25. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Happily, assuming we step out of our boxes, we are moving ever further from that "only currency." Forgetting, for the moment the often sometimes stultified realm of still photography we can find "subtlety...grace...nuance...and all kinds of powerful forms"...for example in film and in musical theater.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  26. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i don't know MCM
    i think photography today can be vibrant and beautiful
    it just depends where you look.
    if one looks at ROTM social media sites
    were people don't know the word or cull or edit,
    or don't learn the nuances of their chosen form of picture and light gathering
    it is pretty bleak but if you look a little deeper and don't wear the ever present
    and easy to wear hat that suggests now is a real drag then its not a drag.
    IDK i think the glass is perpetually half full and there is always a microclimate involved
    to deal with constant evaporation.

to quote my pal ferris: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it'"
    or dory: " just keep swimming swimming swimming"

be excellent to eachother ...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.