Which Pyrocat?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Tom Duffy, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

I've been using Pyrocat HD in powder for my Tri-X 320 in a Jobo at 2:2:100 for quite a few years now. But, the powder has run dry and it's time to purchase some more.

I visited the Photographer's Formulary website and find a confusing number of choices. In addition to the powder I've been using, there is a liquid version of HD, a pyrocat HD in glycol and a pyrocat MC in Glycol.

I'd love to use a liquid instead of the powder. Can anyone shed some light on the differences and which of these might be preferable for Tri-X 320 in a Jobo?

Thanks for the help.

Take care,
    Tom

2. gainer

gainer Subscriber

Those in glycol are long-lasting concentrates to be used as 2-part solutions in water with the usual Pyrocat B solution of potassium carbonate. The HD uses Phenidone and catechol and the MC uses Metol and catechol. There is also Pyrocat-PC with p-aminophenol and catechol that can be dissolved in glycol. I lean toward Pyrocat MC for personal reasons.

3. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been mixing my own pyrocat-hd for years now and only recently starting mixing the glycol version. Try the glycol version especially if you want a long shelf life.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.