Which Pyrocat?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Tom Duffy, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

I've been using Pyrocat HD in powder for my Tri-X 320 in a Jobo at 2:2:100 for quite a few years now. But, the powder has run dry and it's time to purchase some more.

I visited the Photographer's Formulary website and find a confusing number of choices. In addition to the powder I've been using, there is a liquid version of HD, a pyrocat HD in glycol and a pyrocat MC in Glycol.

I'd love to use a liquid instead of the powder. Can anyone shed some light on the differences and which of these might be preferable for Tri-X 320 in a Jobo?

Thanks for the help.

Take care,
    Tom

2. gainer

gainer Subscriber

Those in glycol are long-lasting concentrates to be used as 2-part solutions in water with the usual Pyrocat B solution of potassium carbonate. The HD uses Phenidone and catechol and the MC uses Metol and catechol. There is also Pyrocat-PC with p-aminophenol and catechol that can be dissolved in glycol. I lean toward Pyrocat MC for personal reasons.

3. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been mixing my own pyrocat-hd for years now and only recently starting mixing the glycol version. Try the glycol version especially if you want a long shelf life.