Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyanotypeworld
Recent bookmarks
Shooter
Multi Format
I just picked up a Schneider Kreuznach Super Angulon 90mm f5.6 XL to fill the gap between my 65mm and 150mm lenses for my Toyo 45AII camera. I have a spare Copal 0 recessed (12.5mm) lens board - is that the best lens board to use for this lens over a flat Copal 0 board? It looks like I'll get a lot of movement as it is from the XL model - will the 12.5mm recessed board be of any additional benefit or issue?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
There's no camera I know that needs a recessed lens board for a 90mm.

In fact just the opposite I have 5x4 cameras that prefer a top hat type lens board for a 90mm so it stays on the inner rails when the bed and front rails are dropped. MPP MicroTechnical which is a Linhof Technika clone.

Ian

OP
OP
Shooter
Multi Format
Its for a Toyo 45AII. The 12.5mm recessed board is only slightly recessed - B&H says its for 75-90mm lenses. The thing is I have one of these and if using it doesn't have a negative effect I can avoid buying another flat board. I would think I'd get slightly more bellows extension with the 12.5mm board - but didn't know if there were any negative issues by using it.

Regards,
Mike

BrianShaw

Shooter
Multi Format
On my Cambo I can use a 5.6/90 with a flat board but movements are rather constrained because the bellows are squished tightly. Bag bellows help with the flat board, but both a recessed board and bag bellows makes the situation much more easy.

Negative issue... reaching fat fingers into the recess.

Shooter
Multi Format
I use a Toyo 45AII with wide angle lenses (58mm and 75mm) and recessed lens boards. For the 90mm, a recessed lens board is likely not required, but could be helpful by moving the front standard out by 12.5mm and allowing the bellows more freedom to move. For reference, I use a 120mm on this camera with a flat lens board and have no difficulties with movements.

Last edited:
Shooter
4x5 Format
The issue with an f/5.6 90mm lens and a recessed board is the accessibility of the lens controls (aperture/shutters speed/cocking). I use f/8 90mm on recessed boards all the time and set aperture with the end of the cable release. I can just get my fingers in to turn the shutter-speed rings and cock the shutters. With the larger front element on an f/5.6 lens, this may be really difficult. Mount your lens on the board and see if you can deal with it.

FWIW, I have a couple of field cameras that wouldn't be able to use the entire capabilities of even my f/8 90mm lenses without a recessed board due to the bellows crimping up and preventing more movement (Wista DXs). This is especially the case when lots of front rise gets used in conjunction with a bit of shift. Bag bellows and a flat board is really the way to go if you can.

Best,

Doremus

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom