Which enlarger do you print with

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by RichardH, Jun 21, 2013.

1. wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, but I heard she moved onto Bob Carnie - something about his big enlarger.

2. fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I can understand that... I mean... I would marry Bob Carnie because of that enlarger! :D

3. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Claudio: Yes. Keep it simple. Everything is external to the timer, so my device would work with any timer. Basically, I built a box with two plugs and a toggle switch. This plugs into the enlarger output from a timer and the toggle switch sends the connection to one or the other enlarger.

One caution. Even though this is simple and fairly straight forward, I would not attempt it unless you are confident in your electrician skills. Cheers.

4. jim10219

jim10219 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My main enlarger is my computer, since I do more alternative process contact printing than anything else. My most used proper enlarger is my Beseler 23 III. I installed some large swivel wheels to the bottom of the baseboard so I can move it around easily. Currently, I'm working on restoring my old Beseler 45M, trying to get it back into reliable shape so I can get back into large format silver gelatin printing, instead of being forced to scan everything. The one enlarger I never use is my Omega C760. There's nothing wrong with it, in fact it's probably in the best shape of all of my enlargers, but I don't do much color, and am not a fan of diffuser heads. That's why I'm getting rid of my Ilford Multigrade 500H head. It's a great setup, but I just like the look from condenser heads too much to use it.

5. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I am happily married but thanks for the offers , I am blushing with pride.

6. CCLA

CCLA Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you David.

claudio

7. mklw1954

mklw1954 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use a Minolta MODIII for color and b&w. But I'd really like to have this Elwood 8x10 (on ebay).

Elwood Enlarger.jpg

8. FujiLove

FujiLove Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A Durst AC707 for colour and B&W.

9. Svenedin

Svenedin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Still using my Kaiser system V multigrade head but have recently acquired a 6x9 base unit complete with a stabilised transformer. Now 2x Kaiser system V enlargers. I did have to drive 350 miles for the latest one!

10. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I didn't know Elwood made hair dryers.

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which may say something about how Drew cares for his hair...:whistling:

12. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, and dam...er...darn good ones too if you have a darkroom with a 15' ceiling and a 12" thick concrete floor. Almost kidding. Those that I have known who used Elwoods (usually 5x7) printed 35mm, MF, 4x5 and 5x7, all on the same enlarger using the correct lenses and all that........Regards!

13. images39

images39 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use a Saunders/LPL 4500 II with VCCE head. Man, I love using that thing, it's beautifully designed.

Dale

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Since 1973 Beseler 4x5. I think I have 5 or 6 by now. 3 of the newer ones are setup. For last 20 years have used dichro heads for everything B&W VC and color. Couple years back I found a gold mine of Darkroom stuff somebody wanted rid of. I now have a Zone VI VC head with a Metrolux timer on one Beseler, Fabulous for split printing. I have a Zone VI 8x10 type II (Calumet era) with the VC head also controlled by the Metrolux. A really cool Beseler Universal 45 head, closed loop, 3 lamp additive light source with both the VC and the color controller, I've been so busy that I have yet to print with it, but it is really cool. Still have nice Dichro S color heads, One of them setup. I currently have 3 Beseler 4X5s and the Zone VI 8x10 setup and ready to go.

I have 2 Metrolux timers, these things make cold lights workable for me. The Beseler 45 Universal has it's own timer built into the controllers.

I started out with a Vivitar Japan made 6x7 enlarger. That was a great little enlarger, 211 bulb, acetate filters, El nikkor 50mm f4.

You can have next to nothing for equipment and make beautiful prints. I'm a scrounger, the aforementioned was accumulated over 50 years. Everything bought used.

Mike

16. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've used one of those. They work great. Belongs to a friend, we even projected horizontal to make 6 foot long pan shots. I had a couple 5x7's . The mirrored dome and the sand blasted diffuser glass made darn nice prints. They are man portable. Made out of cast aluminum. I'm glad to have it behind me. I still have lensboards with ILEX 10 and 12 inch lenses.
    Need to find one that hasn't been painted

17. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Elwood

18. rjmeyer314

rjmeyer314 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have 4 enlargers in my darkroom. 2 Beseler 4x5's, a 5x7 Elwood and an 8x10 Elwood. I have an Omega D2V with the D2V head, space head, and point source head in storage.

19. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can you post a few pics of your Darkroom.....?:smile:

20. glbeas

glbeas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Beseler 4x5. Ive had Bogen, Omega, Minolta, Elwood, but the Beseler has been the hardiest and most versatile for what I like to do.

21. Doylefotografix

Doylefotografix Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Durst 707 colour bed

22. Doylefotografix

Doylefotografix Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Durst 707 autocolour

23. mrosenlof

mrosenlof Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use an LPL 4500 with the color head. I have a chart of the filter combinations to emulate VCCE. They came out with that module about six months after I bought mine. I'm very happy with the enlarger. I print 35mm to 4x5 using it. For 5x7 and 8x10 contact prints, I use the enlarger as my light source.

24. Mark77

Mark77 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Kaiser VPM 9005 with a Rodagon Apo-N 50mm and Schneider Componon-S 80mm. Printing 35mm (including panoramic) and medium format only.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  25. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I added a Mamiya Enlahead recently to be able to print Minox negs. Jury is still out on it, but the lens is sharp at least. Of course I had to disassemble it and clean it and I had to make a custom neg carrier for it since the Enlahead is designed for Mamiya 16mm negatives. Fun Fun Fun!

I just did some work on my Saunders 4550 today as well. I pulled apart the bulb/fan housing to black out the fan. Lots of light leaking out through the fan entrance and I figured it was from the interior silver sides of the fan. We'll see. I put some telescope flocking on the interior of the housing too just to be sure. PITA.

26. ruilourosa

ruilourosa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    durst 138, 2 durst lab 1000, durst m601, durst f30, 2 opemus 7, axomat 3, leitz v35

i mainly use laborator 1000 (both) and leitz v35