Which enlarger do you print with

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by RichardH, Jun 21, 2013.

1. wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, but I heard she moved onto Bob Carnie - something about his big enlarger.

2. fdonadio

fdonadio Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I can understand that... I mean... I would marry Bob Carnie because of that enlarger! :D

3. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Claudio: Yes. Keep it simple. Everything is external to the timer, so my device would work with any timer. Basically, I built a box with two plugs and a toggle switch. This plugs into the enlarger output from a timer and the toggle switch sends the connection to one or the other enlarger.

One caution. Even though this is simple and fairly straight forward, I would not attempt it unless you are confident in your electrician skills. Cheers.

4. jim10219

jim10219 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My main enlarger is my computer, since I do more alternative process contact printing than anything else. My most used proper enlarger is my Beseler 23 III. I installed some large swivel wheels to the bottom of the baseboard so I can move it around easily. Currently, I'm working on restoring my old Beseler 45M, trying to get it back into reliable shape so I can get back into large format silver gelatin printing, instead of being forced to scan everything. The one enlarger I never use is my Omega C760. There's nothing wrong with it, in fact it's probably in the best shape of all of my enlargers, but I don't do much color, and am not a fan of diffuser heads. That's why I'm getting rid of my Ilford Multigrade 500H head. It's a great setup, but I just like the look from condenser heads too much to use it.

5. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I am happily married but thanks for the offers , I am blushing with pride.

6. CCLA

CCLA Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you David.

claudio

7. mklw1954

mklw1954 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use a Minolta MODIII for color and b&w. But I'd really like to have this Elwood 8x10 (on ebay).

Elwood Enlarger.jpg

8. FujiLove

FujiLove Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A Durst AC707 for colour and B&W.

9. Svenedin

Svenedin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Still using my Kaiser system V multigrade head but have recently acquired a 6x9 base unit complete with a stabilised transformer. Now 2x Kaiser system V enlargers. I did have to drive 350 miles for the latest one!

10. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I didn't know Elwood made hair dryers.

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which may say something about how Drew cares for his hair...:whistling:

12. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, and dam...er...darn good ones too if you have a darkroom with a 15' ceiling and a 12" thick concrete floor. Almost kidding. Those that I have known who used Elwoods (usually 5x7) printed 35mm, MF, 4x5 and 5x7, all on the same enlarger using the correct lenses and all that........Regards!

13. images39

images39 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use a Saunders/LPL 4500 II with VCCE head. Man, I love using that thing, it's beautifully designed.

Dale

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Since 1973 Beseler 4x5. I think I have 5 or 6 by now. 3 of the newer ones are setup. For last 20 years have used dichro heads for everything B&W VC and color. Couple years back I found a gold mine of Darkroom stuff somebody wanted rid of. I now have a Zone VI VC head with a Metrolux timer on one Beseler, Fabulous for split printing. I have a Zone VI 8x10 type II (Calumet era) with the VC head also controlled by the Metrolux. A really cool Beseler Universal 45 head, closed loop, 3 lamp additive light source with both the VC and the color controller, I've been so busy that I have yet to print with it, but it is really cool. Still have nice Dichro S color heads, One of them setup. I currently have 3 Beseler 4X5s and the Zone VI 8x10 setup and ready to go.

I have 2 Metrolux timers, these things make cold lights workable for me. The Beseler 45 Universal has it's own timer built into the controllers.

I started out with a Vivitar Japan made 6x7 enlarger. That was a great little enlarger, 211 bulb, acetate filters, El nikkor 50mm f4.

You can have next to nothing for equipment and make beautiful prints. I'm a scrounger, the aforementioned was accumulated over 50 years. Everything bought used.

Mike

16. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've used one of those. They work great. Belongs to a friend, we even projected horizontal to make 6 foot long pan shots. I had a couple 5x7's . The mirrored dome and the sand blasted diffuser glass made darn nice prints. They are man portable. Made out of cast aluminum. I'm glad to have it behind me. I still have lensboards with ILEX 10 and 12 inch lenses.
    Need to find one that hasn't been painted

17. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Elwood

18. rjmeyer314

rjmeyer314 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have 4 enlargers in my darkroom. 2 Beseler 4x5's, a 5x7 Elwood and an 8x10 Elwood. I have an Omega D2V with the D2V head, space head, and point source head in storage.

19. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can you post a few pics of your Darkroom.....?:smile:

20. glbeas

glbeas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Beseler 4x5. Ive had Bogen, Omega, Minolta, Elwood, but the Beseler has been the hardiest and most versatile for what I like to do.

21. Doylefotografix

Doylefotografix Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Durst 707 colour bed

22. Doylefotografix

Doylefotografix Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Durst 707 autocolour

23. mrosenlof

mrosenlof Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use an LPL 4500 with the color head. I have a chart of the filter combinations to emulate VCCE. They came out with that module about six months after I bought mine. I'm very happy with the enlarger. I print 35mm to 4x5 using it. For 5x7 and 8x10 contact prints, I use the enlarger as my light source.

24. Mark77

Mark77 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Kaiser VPM 9005 with a Rodagon Apo-N 50mm and Schneider Componon-S 80mm. Printing 35mm (including panoramic) and medium format only.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  25. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I added a Mamiya Enlahead recently to be able to print Minox negs. Jury is still out on it, but the lens is sharp at least. Of course I had to disassemble it and clean it and I had to make a custom neg carrier for it since the Enlahead is designed for Mamiya 16mm negatives. Fun Fun Fun!

I just did some work on my Saunders 4550 today as well. I pulled apart the bulb/fan housing to black out the fan. Lots of light leaking out through the fan entrance and I figured it was from the interior silver sides of the fan. We'll see. I put some telescope flocking on the interior of the housing too just to be sure. PITA.

26. ruilourosa

ruilourosa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    durst 138, 2 durst lab 1000, durst m601, durst f30, 2 opemus 7, axomat 3, leitz v35

i mainly use laborator 1000 (both) and leitz v35

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.