Which developer to try next.

M3.jpg

A
M3.jpg

  • 0
  • 1
  • 78
Guitar Village

A
Guitar Village

  • 5
  • 1
  • 185
Beach Barista

A
Beach Barista

  • 2
  • 2
  • 274
In the Old Town

A
In the Old Town

  • 3
  • 2
  • 267
The Longest Day

H
The Longest Day

  • 0
  • 0
  • 209

Forum statistics

Threads
177,890
Messages
2,442,501
Members
94,346
Latest member
mr_kiwis
Recent bookmarks
0

eheldreth

Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
113
Location
West Virgini
Shooter
Multi Format
I have been using ilfosol-s for a while now and want to try something different. I have been thinking about rodinal or perhaps one of the pyro based developers and thought I would ask your opinion. In the past I have mainly shot on delta 100, though I am going to try FP4 and a perhaps Agfapan.
 

Ole

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 9, 2002
Messages
9,250
Location
Bergen, Norway
Shooter
Large Format
Since you shoot 35mm, I would suggest you keep your developer, but switch to Pan-F and FP4+. But then again I have a deep dislike of Delta 100, and an equally deep love of FP4+ in Ilfosol-S.
 

Eric Rose

Subscriber
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Messages
6,602
Location
T3A5V4
Shooter
Multi Format
I have used APX100 and FP4 extensively. Both work well in either Rodinal, HC110 (dil B) or PyroCat-HD. Each developer has it's own look, so experiment to find out what it looks like for you. Then use the appropriate developer for the creative expression you want to produce. BTW I have used FP4 at both 64 and 125 asa's with PyroCat-HD. The 64 asa was with LF and the 125 asa in 35mm. Each produced excellent negs.

Developers are cheap, so go nuts!

Just our of curiosity, what is the Kodak equiv of Ifosol-S?
 
OP
OP
eheldreth

eheldreth

Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
113
Location
West Virgini
Shooter
Multi Format
While I have been shooting 35mm I just picked up an old Yashica Mat-124G Friday, so I will be using MF as well. This is actualy what prompted me to start looking at diffrent film/developer combos.
 

VoidoidRamone

Subscriber
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
490
Location
New York Cit
Shooter
Multi Format
I think APX100 and Rodinal 1:50 is the best (in my opinion, of course). Pan F+ and FP4+ are also great in Rodinal.... so basically what I'm saying is that I love Rodinal. I'm not a big fan of the Delta films, so I don't have a lot of experience with those. And I am just starting to try pyro developers, I have only tried WD2D+ thus far, and I really like it with APX100. -Grant
 

TPPhotog

Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
3,041
Shooter
Multi Format
Another vote for Rodinal and against the Delta range other than Delta 3200.

Film suggestions are Pan F (25-50);FP4+ (50-200); HP5+ (200-1600) - I love Ilford films
Other possible developers ID-11 or D-76. DD-X if you like fluffy grain.

All just my personal preferences of course.
 
OP
OP
eheldreth

eheldreth

Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
113
Location
West Virgini
Shooter
Multi Format
I think I'll try FP4 and APX100 with rodinal then. Thanks for your advise.
 

Ole

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 9, 2002
Messages
9,250
Location
Bergen, Norway
Shooter
Large Format
eheldreth said:
While I have been shooting 35mm I just picked up an old Yashica Mat-124G Friday, so I will be using MF as well. This is actualy what prompted me to start looking at diffrent film/developer combos.

FP4 in Ilfosol-S is even better in MF - that's all I used when I did "commercial" work! The only reason I don't use Ilfosol-S now is that I don't use enough film to keep the supply fresh. It turned out I was the only one in Bergen who used it...
 

djklmnop

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2004
Messages
230
Shooter
4x5 Format
eheldreth said:
I have been using ilfosol-s for a while now and want to try something different. I have been thinking about rodinal or perhaps one of the pyro based developers and thought I would ask your opinion. In the past I have mainly shot on delta 100, though I am going to try FP4 and a perhaps Agfapan.


Since you've fiddled around with normal to high energy developer, try developing in ultra fine-grain developer such as Microdol-X or Perceptol.
 

arigram

Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2004
Messages
5,465
Location
Crete, Greec
Shooter
Medium Format
Ole said:
FP4 in Ilfosol-S is even better in MF - that's all I used when I did "commercial" work! The only reason I don't use Ilfosol-S now is that I don't use enough film to keep the supply fresh. It turned out I was the only one in Bergen who used it...
What's special about Ilfosol-S apart that it comes in liquid form?
I only use D-76 and Rodinal and I have to order them just for me in contrast with Ilfosol-S that is pleanty available around here. That and PQ Universal.
I never really used them as the Internet pushed me more towards the above developers. The films I use are "traditional" grained TriX, HP5+, FP4+ in MF.

I would like to know if only to give Ilfosol-S a second chance.
 

rogueish

Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2004
Messages
876
Location
3rd Rock
Shooter
Multi Format
I've used Ilford-S and was happy with the results. Used on FP4, HP5, and all 3 Deltas. Switched to Ilford HC as it is concentrated (longer shelf life) since I have recently had to slow down on my photography (time demands, no worries).
Also just bought my first bottle of Rodinal and processed some HP5 last night. Didn't have time for a real close inspection, but the negs looked good. :cool: The massive dev. chart suggested a time of 6 minutes while the paper from Agfa says 10 min. Couldn't make up my mind, so I did it for 7 minutes (1+25), 10 seconds agitation every minute. I think this has been covered, but any suggestions?
 

BWGirl

Member
Joined
May 15, 2004
Messages
3,049
Location
Wisconsin, U
Shooter
Multi Format
arigram said:
What's special about Ilfosol-S apart that it comes in liquid form?
I only use D-76 and Rodinal and I have to order them just for me in contrast with Ilfosol-S that is pleanty available around here. That and PQ Universal.
I never really used them as the Internet pushed me more towards the above developers. The films I use are "traditional" grained TriX, HP5+, FP4+ in MF.

I would like to know if only to give Ilfosol-S a second chance.

I really like the fine grain look from Ilfosol-S. My only beef with it is that it loses potency so darned quick that you'd have to have a lot of exposed film to make using it worthwhile. I used it exclusively until I became one of the "converted" and started using Rodinal. :wink:
 

modafoto

Subscriber
Joined
Oct 17, 2003
Messages
2,101
Location
Århus, Denma
Shooter
Medium Format
BWGirl said:
I used it exclusively until I became one of the "converted" and started using Rodinal. :wink:

Gooood girl, Jeanette! The church is pleased to see you follow the road to eternal happiness.

Cheers from His Graininess, High Priest and dr.rod. Morten Damkjær
 

BWGirl

Member
Joined
May 15, 2004
Messages
3,049
Location
Wisconsin, U
Shooter
Multi Format
:D
 

ooze

Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2004
Messages
388
Location
Istanbul, Tu
Shooter
Multi Format
My preferred developer is XTOL for everything apart from TMAX3200 (for which I use TMAX).
Other developers I have used are ID-11/D76, TMAX and Rodinal.
 

fhovie

Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2003
Messages
1,250
Location
Powell Wyoming
Shooter
Large Format
I have used the following (homebrew) - D76 - D23 (straight and split) - PMK - Microdol X - PyrocatHD - and recently Mytol
I am really excited about Mytol - I found a cheap source of Sodium Ascorbate -
http://www.nowcatalog.com/0762.html
the rest of the chemicals can be found at photoformulary, artcraft chemical or fotochem
1 liter water
60g Sodium Sulfite
13g Sodium Ascorbate
.15g Phenidone
3g Sodium Bisulfite
The fomula gives incredably tight grain - and unlike high solivent developers, it actually gives full film speed and maybe a little more. I think this will be my new roll film developer - same times and performance as XTOL
Mixing my own chemicals gives me a great deal of control and much greater satisfaction in my work.
 

modafoto

Subscriber
Joined
Oct 17, 2003
Messages
2,101
Location
Århus, Denma
Shooter
Medium Format
ooze said:
My preferred developer is XTOL for everything apart from TMAX3200 (for which I use TMAX).
Other developers I have used are ID-11/D76, TMAX and Rodinal.

XTOL is about to enter my darkroom and I will, of course, try to mix it with Rodinal as I have been told is a great thing to do...

Morten
 

arigram

Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2004
Messages
5,465
Location
Crete, Greec
Shooter
Medium Format
modafoto said:
XTOL is about to enter my darkroom and I will, of course, try to mix it with Rodinal as I have been told is a great thing to do...

Morten
You are going to spoil the purity of Rodinal?
Morten I didn't expect it from you!
 

arkoshkobash

Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2004
Messages
20
Shooter
Multi Format
I use a pyro developer, but I only contact print, even rollfilm. Haven't tried any other kinds of developers, but I like my prints.
 

PepMiro

Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2004
Messages
84
Location
Andorra
Shooter
4x5 Format
I used a lot of FP4+ with Ilfosol-S. It's a wonderful combination that gives fine grain, sharp results and good contrast. Recently, due to Ilford bankrunpt, I began using Kodak TMAX with XTOL. I'm also very pleased with the results, giving fine grain and sharpness. About the contrast, I find XTOL gives more gray tonallities.
 

Eric Rose

Subscriber
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Messages
6,602
Location
T3A5V4
Shooter
Multi Format
Hey no one has answered my question! What is the Kodak equivalent of Ilfosol-S?? I think I tried Ilfosol-S once and didn't like it. Not enough contrast, but I could be wrong. But then again I don't like the look of D-76 either. I'm a heretic I know.
 
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom