Threads
Members
Latest member
Agreenier
Recent bookmarks

DonW

Shooter
Medium Format
Going to Mexico in May. Atlantic side and unfortunately staying at an adults only resort. Not my usual way of traveling but the couple we are going with are not into anything less than 5 star.

Wanting to minimize the amount of camera stuff I take as I usually travel pretty heavy with camera gear. My first thoughts were to take my Bessa-R with Jupiter 8 50mm lens, VC Color Skopar 35mm and Leitz Elmar 90mm. All very small and light. Had this setup out doing some test shooting last week and the results with Ilford FP4 developed in PyroCat-HD were outstanding.

Then I got to thinking (always a bad exercise) that if I am going to do any photography I might as well take good stuff. So the choice was between a Leica M4 or M5, Summicron 50mm, TT Artisans 35mm and 90mm Tele-Elmarit. Good quality but with a heft price to pay in weight.

Then I remembered my Olympus XA. Great street/beach camera and fits in the pocket.

I'm leaning towards the XA. What do you think I should do? I will probably only get off of the resort grounds once or twice as our friends like to just "relax".

I have spent a lot of time in Mexico doing photography so it's not like I will be burning up a lot of film on this trip. Mainly people stuff around the resort.

Two23

Shooter
8x10 Format
I almost always go for small and quick to use. The Olympus would be that. I would also be worried about theft.

Kent in SD

McDiesel

Subscriber
Shooter
Analog
The gear carrying effort should be proportional to the quality of location. If there's a chance you'll make the best photo of your career there, take your best equipment with you.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Less is more, less is more, less is more.

This applies to the buffet as well :whistling:
Take the Olympus XA.
Along with your cel phone camera, in case of camera problems.

Shooter
Multi Format
Going to Mexico in May. Atlantic side and unfortunately staying at an adults only resort. Not my usual way of traveling but the couple we are going with are not into anything less than 5 star.

Wanting to minimize the amount of camera stuff I take as I usually travel pretty heavy with camera gear. My first thoughts were to take my Bessa-R with Jupiter 8 50mm lens, VC Color Skopar 35mm and Leitz Elmar 90mm. All very small and light. Had this setup out doing some test shooting last week and the results with Ilford FP4 developed in PyroCat-HD were outstanding.

Then I got to thinking (always a bad exercise) that if I am going to do any photography I might as well take good stuff. So the choice was between a Leica M4 or M5, Summicron 50mm, TT Artisans 35mm and 90mm Tele-Elmarit. Good quality but with a heft price to pay in weight.

Then I remembered my Olympus XA. Great street/beach camera and fits in the pocket.

I'm leaning towards the XA. What do you think I should do? I will probably only get off of the resort grounds once or twice as our friends like to just "relax".

I have spent a lot of time in Mexico doing photography so it's not like I will be burning up a lot of film on this trip. Mainly people stuff around the resort.

Why bother with film at all? You said you've done that already in Mexico. Use your cell phone for people shots around the resort and relax the rest of the time. When I travel, I take a little Sony RX100 that I can keep in my pocket. It gives me great stills and video clips and I can make a little digital slide show video show to give to relatives, your friend in this case. YOu can do the same with cellphone shots.

bags27

Shooter
Medium Format
If you're going to a resort sensing that you're thinking there will be idle time, I think you'll very much want to carve out some space for photography. So, I'd bring a kit.

A Bessa-R stands less chance of attracting attention than does a Leica, and ditto non-Leica glass. More importantly than any reality, you'll feel better about it.

For simplicity and weight, I'd skip the Jupiter and just take the VC Color Skopar 35mm and Leitz Elmar 90mm. But the more lenses, the more fussing...and that's not bad on a vacation!

grain elevator

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I suspect people in a 5 star resort might be a little more accepting of being photographed with a Leica than with an XA. You demonstrate you're one of them.
But why not leave more often than the friends you're going with? Adjusting a vacation that much to others is a recipe for problems IME, little annoyances and grudges can grow on vacation, when we have no outside pressures.

Shooter
Multi Format
I suspect people in a 5 star resort might be a little more accepting of being photographed with a Leica than with an XA. You demonstrate you're one of them.
But why not leave more often than the friends you're going with? Adjusting a vacation that much to others is a recipe for problems IME, little annoyances and grudges can grow on vacation, when we have no outside pressures.

I agree with that view which is why my wife and I have never traveled with anyone else. We have enough problems agreeing with each other of what to do.:getlost:

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
If I am traveling light I use 35mm Nikon AF cameras. If I will want to make enlargements or "art" and take my time, I carry the Hasselblads. Most of the time I use the Hasselblads.

Paul Howell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
One issue is to make sure you carry your film in a clear plastic bag so that it can be hand inspected rather than run through the X ray machine. Of course whatever camera you decide to take needs to be empty. If it were me, considering that you will shooting travel snap shots, why risk your Leica gear, I would not bother with film and take a small digital camera. My current kit is a pair of Pentax K2000 and a couple of lens, cheap, will not be bent out of shape if something happens to them, light. If you really want film then the Olympus XA, if you have time to buy and test maybe a Pentax IQ zoom point and shoot.

GregY

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
It's always a bad feeling to see a photograph & not have a camera. I'd take the Bessa R and (your favourite) 35mm or 50mm.....or the XA (which will give you reasonable results). I wouldn't let any thoughts about the other couple cloud your decision making, & i certainly wouldn't buy another camera for the trip. I like the sense of having a camera without the encumbrance of changing lenses or carrying a camera bag.

Kodachromeguy

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
An alternate idea: take some really oddball camera rather than your more prominent Leicas. The "adults" at the adults-only resort will soon dismiss you as a crank and you can photograph anything you like. How about a Kodak Retina? If you can escape the resort and reach the Yucatan mainland, you can do serious work with a Retina.

20220402f_CoffeeShack_SouthBend_WA_resize.jpg

Retina IIa with 50mm ƒ/2 Schneider Xenon. No, not quite Mexico.........

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I carry my cameras loaded and have never had a problem getting them inspected in the US, Europe is a different problem, more like a different ball of wax.

Maris

Shooter
Multi Format
Pardon the pessimism but I always travel with two cameras that use the same kind of film. It's happened more than once that a camera fails at the destination and it's good to have a back up. What is it about travel that causes cameras to break - high frequency vibrations, temperature swings, air pressure changes, what?

OP
OP

DonW

Shooter
Medium Format
Love the comments on how to deal with my friends. He is someone I've known since grade 6. We are now both 68 and are best buds plus his wife is a sweetie. They like to take it easy because he can bearly walk. Waiting for knee replacements.

So much for that.

I think I will be taking the XA and the Bessa plus lenses. But a last minute change might happen. My cellphone will be used for any colour images and video.

Nitroplait

Shooter
Multi Format
I think I will be taking the XA and the Bessa plus lenses. But a last minute change might happen. My cellphone will be used for any colour images and video.
Way too much gear for that type of vacation. XA is perfect and your smartphone is your backup.

Craig75

Shooter
35mm
I much prefer a compact for holidays. When they used to be lot cheaper I'd just buy one for each holiday and part of holiday was learning how to use it / be forced to use just that one focal length.

Olymous xa series is one of my favourite cameras - so I'm biased to say use that

grain elevator

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Love the comments on how to deal with my friends. He is someone I've known since grade 6. We are now both 68 and are best buds plus his wife is a sweetie. They like to take it easy because he can bearly walk. Waiting for knee replacements.

So much for that.

I made a comment about how to deal with your own wants, not your friends. But I'm sorry if I overstepped. Have a great vacation!

guangong

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
M5, 35mm, 90mm...three items t keep track of...no handheld meter to worry about. Slip the XA in your trouser pocket to be prepared. I wouldn’t carry a lot of stuff if traveling with another couple.

african_jon

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
One camera, one lens is my recommendation. With this option you will have the camera with you all the time reducing the risk of theft. So take the one you like using the most. (But I agree with Huss :smile:

NB23

Shooter
35mm
Take the M4 with the color Skopar 35. You have a freakin Leica. Use it.

Take off that voigtlander. It’s a Leica.

And we are talking nothing less than 5-stars.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom