Which adaptall 2 for a Nikon F4S

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by EdColorado, Feb 16, 2009.

1. EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm pretty new to the Nikon world (being a Canon guy) and need some help figuring this out. I have a couple of Tamron lenses I use on my FD bodies which I'd like to mount up on my F4S. KEH has two Adaptall 2 adapters for Nikons listed as "Adaptall 2 (Nikon AI)" and "Adaptall 2 (Nikon AI) with prong". Prong? Whats a prong? Do I want a prong?
    Also, am I correct that the lens will function with all the auto exposure modes on the F4S or will it be stop down metering only?

Thanks a lot,

Ed

2. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It'll work with all the auto exposure modes on the F4s I believe, though it may have some limitations (it won't be AIS). The prong is if you want to use the lens with an older Non-ai camera. You don't need it if you don't own a F, F2, or a Nikkormat.

3. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikon AI lenses (and using an AI Adaptall adapter counts) will give you aperture priority and metered manual. Program mode and shutter priority won't work.

The "prong" is indeed for older bodies, pre-1977 (Nikon F and some F2s, and all Nikkormats except the FT3 and EL2 [the EL2 is labelled "Nikon" but it's really a Nikkormat, but it uses AI lenses). If you think you might own such a Nikon one day, get the prong-furnished Adaptall mount.

4. OP
    OP
    EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys, I decided to go with the non prong version as I doubt I'll be getting any older Nikons, I'm not really sure I'll be keeping this one. Thanks for the info, I appreciate the help!

Ed

5. Vanishing Point Ent.

Vanishing Point Ent. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't forget the " S " feature in the AIS.

Besides the Prong issue, you MUST get an " S " version. This will allow the Shutter Priority & Program features to work.

The " Sport " feature, is a notch, on the lens mount. You can investigate this yourself. If you buy a new Adaptall II mount, it should be the " S ", version.

Remember to test what ever mount you get, because not every mount works well with every lens. Some underexpose.