Where to have Nikon FE overhauled?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by BradS, Feb 2, 2009.

1. BradS

BradS Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    My rapair guys seem to have closed up shop - retired I imagine. The old german in the back room looked ancient last time I was in for routine maintenance....

Anyway, I have a Nikon FE that needs an overhaul. Normally, I'd send it down to Pro Camera in Thousand Oaks but, last time I sent them some work they took nearly three months...kinda irritated me.

So, does any body have any suggestions / recommendations?

2. furcafe

furcafe Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not the closest to you, but I would recommend Pete Smith of Fotocamera Repair in Florida (nikonsmith(at)aol.com).

3. r-brian

r-brian Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I actually had KEH overhaul my F3. They did a great job and fairly quickly with good communication.

4. Gadfly_71

Gadfly_71 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In Southern California you might try Kurt's (they're in the San Diego area). They offer a one year warranty on their repairs and I've had good service, so far. As a matter of fact, my own FE was just serviced there (needed a winder repair). Prices are pretty reasonable too.

http://www.kurtscamerarepair.com/

5. OP
    OP
    BradS

BradS Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I ended up looking in the local Yellow pages and was reminded of Apollo Camera Repair up in Oakland...great guy. Haven't been in there in long a while. I guess I kinda forgot about them...well that and driving to/from/in Oakland is no my favorite thing. They used to have a shop down in Sunnyvale which was quite a bit more conveneint. Anyway, droped my FE off on the way to work...it'll be ready by Friday! :smile: :smile: :smile: !!!

6. Nodaker

Nodaker Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Nikon doesn't make parts for the FE anymore... that might be a reason it takes so long. I'd sure make some phone calls first to see if the repair shop has any parts in stock.

7. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may want to try www.garryscamera.com. The FE is not listed on his website, but I had him cla a FM2, which is not listed either.

8. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would second KEH. I have had great results with them and because they deal in sure a high volume of used gear they have the parts.

9. OP
    OP
    BradS

BradS Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    unfortunately, my personal experience with KEH has been less than satisfactory. I will no longer do business with them.

10. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Brad,

Screw the repair and just purchase a brand new F6 :smile:

11. airgunr

airgunr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Another good word for KEH. I've had them work on several of my cameras and been very satisfied with the results. www.keh.com

12. OP
    OP
    BradS

BradS Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Allen at Apollo camera repair in Oakland took good care of my old FE. He set me up with a new eye piece too.

Made a trip to Keeble and Shuchat yesterday to pick up a years' supply of darkroom chems and scored a nice, used focusing screen too. Now, the old FE is "good to go!" for another few years.

13. dynachrome

dynachrome Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Essex Camera Service in Carlstadt, NJ recently overhauled an FE for me. Now it's perfect.

14. jdorff

jdorff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had my FE2 serviced at http://www.authorizedphoto.com/ a couple years ago and they did a great job. They are "formerly the Nikon USA midwest service facility".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.