Where to have Nikon FE overhauled?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by BradS, Feb 2, 2009.

1. BradS

BradS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My rapair guys seem to have closed up shop - retired I imagine. The old german in the back room looked ancient last time I was in for routine maintenance....

Anyway, I have a Nikon FE that needs an overhaul. Normally, I'd send it down to Pro Camera in Thousand Oaks but, last time I sent them some work they took nearly three months...kinda irritated me.

So, does any body have any suggestions / recommendations?

2. furcafe

furcafe Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not the closest to you, but I would recommend Pete Smith of Fotocamera Repair in Florida (nikonsmith(at)aol.com).

3. r-brian

r-brian Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I actually had KEH overhaul my F3. They did a great job and fairly quickly with good communication.

4. Gadfly_71

Gadfly_71 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In Southern California you might try Kurt's (they're in the San Diego area). They offer a one year warranty on their repairs and I've had good service, so far. As a matter of fact, my own FE was just serviced there (needed a winder repair). Prices are pretty reasonable too.

http://www.kurtscamerarepair.com/

5. OP
    OP
    BradS

BradS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I ended up looking in the local Yellow pages and was reminded of Apollo Camera Repair up in Oakland...great guy. Haven't been in there in long a while. I guess I kinda forgot about them...well that and driving to/from/in Oakland is no my favorite thing. They used to have a shop down in Sunnyvale which was quite a bit more conveneint. Anyway, droped my FE off on the way to work...it'll be ready by Friday! :smile: :smile: :smile: !!!

6. Nodaker

Nodaker Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Nikon doesn't make parts for the FE anymore... that might be a reason it takes so long. I'd sure make some phone calls first to see if the repair shop has any parts in stock.

7. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may want to try www.garryscamera.com. The FE is not listed on his website, but I had him cla a FM2, which is not listed either.

8. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would second KEH. I have had great results with them and because they deal in sure a high volume of used gear they have the parts.

9. OP
    OP
    BradS

BradS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    unfortunately, my personal experience with KEH has been less than satisfactory. I will no longer do business with them.

10. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Brad,

Screw the repair and just purchase a brand new F6 :smile:

11. airgunr

airgunr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Another good word for KEH. I've had them work on several of my cameras and been very satisfied with the results. www.keh.com

12. OP
    OP
    BradS

BradS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Allen at Apollo camera repair in Oakland took good care of my old FE. He set me up with a new eye piece too.

Made a trip to Keeble and Shuchat yesterday to pick up a years' supply of darkroom chems and scored a nice, used focusing screen too. Now, the old FE is "good to go!" for another few years.

13. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Essex Camera Service in Carlstadt, NJ recently overhauled an FE for me. Now it's perfect.

14. jdorff

jdorff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had my FE2 serviced at http://www.authorizedphoto.com/ a couple years ago and they did a great job. They are "formerly the Nikon USA midwest service facility".