where does technique end and creativity begin ?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by jnanian, Sep 24, 2017.

1. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    not sure if this makes sense to anyone but me, but
    where does technique end and creativity begin ?
    when i say technique i mean composition &c
    and this is an equal opportunity thread so is someone
    wants to talk about gadgets feel free !

2. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IMO, they function simultaneously, seamlessly and complimentarily.

3. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Each is individual so you cannot set a benchmark. There are some who cannot see beyond getting the finest, most perfect image, technically perfect in every way, Then there are others at the opposite end of the spectrum who could not care less (almost) about technique but get a result that they have imagined what it could be like.

4. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm with Old-N-Feeble.

5. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I'd have thought that creativity is independent of technical knowledge/skill.

But realizing that creativity is going to benefit from having knowledge and skill with the chosen tools. Which puts creativity in the imaginary, and knowledge/skill in the technique in the concrete.

6. guangong

guangong Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Old-and-feeble has it right. The painter Eugene Delacroix , in a very un- pic way of expression, had the essential idea correct. He noted that there were many great female writers all the way back into antiquity but no great women painters. His explanation: the process of writing is linear with one element following another, but painting required that subject, composition, color, drawing, size, emotion, etc, etc. all be done simultaneously and was just to difficult for women. Overlooking his bias , the general point is quite true. It is the knack of being able to find o all of these things at one time that separates the great artist from the rest. But that is the quest of the artist.

7. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Creativity is what blends technique and process to make art.

8. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Bingo.

9. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    creativity never starts for me; and my technique's pretty ropy

10. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it is any help Ansel Adams said that he would rather see a poorly executed example of a great subject than any example of a poor subject.

11. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Creativity is somewhere between a process and a mental state (sort of); technique is skill. Neither are wholly dependent upon each other but I think technique is useful when realising creative ideas, and creativity can be spurred by technique.

12. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Technique is either a help or a hindrance between the idea and the result. It has little to do with creativity itself though. Some use it as a crutch to lean on.

13. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good technique is a creativity "enabler".
    Ever watched an experienced photographer "work" a photographic opportunity. It is like watching an experienced musician take up a new piece of music.
    The technique issues just don't get in the way.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Technique is how you push the button. Creativity is why.

16. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Modern photography, aka digital photography, is predicated on the notion of continued technical improvement. Most modern amateurs are serial gear swappers, the motive for which is better, which means their existing shots must be progressively worse. The relationship between a great photograph and the technology it is taken on is superficial, if it exists at all. You can learn camera function in a weekend and throw cash at the printing problem, and be at no creative disadvantage. Or buy a point and shoot. It's 99.9% eye.

Any photography that relies largely or exclusively on technique is likely to be boring. Technique is the cherry on the cake, not the cake itself.

17. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format

18. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It seems like the trajectory of photography from the very beginning has been on of continued technical improvement.

I am not following you argument.

19. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IMO, technical improvement has been the trajectory of every artful endeavor. I wonder how long it took someone to develop the proper mix of colorful minerals to chew and spit on cave walls to make a copy of their hand print. Who developed and modified tools for painting and sculpting? Why are the terms 'arts' and 'sciences' (arts and sciences) so often co-mingled?

20. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's more about the democratisation of photography than improvement. The box camera arrived after the large format platinum print, and the 35mm camera followed the Brownie. The 110 camera followed both. Aspects of photographic technology improve, like film speed, but it would be hard to argue the aesthetic quality of photography as a whole has improved. It is however in many more peoples' hands.

My point on gear swapping is people think it will make their photography better, which insists their old photography must be getting worse because their standards are based around technical quality, not aesthetic values. I don't believe a photograph taken on a 35mm point and shoot is worse than one taken on a 10 x 8 Sinar, it's just different. Same with digital, a shot on an old MFT camera isn't worse than one taken on a D850, it might be slightly noisier. I don't think grain or noise make a great photo a bad one, so the improvements are not key its quality.

21. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

22. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A photographers existing images don't get progressively worse. They are what they are and don't change.

23. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't think people believe that when they sink a grand or two on a new digital camera. They believe the camera will make their photography objectively better. The corollary of that is their old photos are getting worse with each "upgrade". Otherwise they would keep their old kit.

24. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think it is a corollary that their old photos are getting worse with each upgrade. Their existing photos remain exactly the same quality. They do not suddenly change because a photographer buys a new camera.

25. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...unless there's a placebo effect.

26. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If their new photographs are technically superior, and technical superiority is the photographer's principal concern in upgrading, his/her old photos must be getting worse in comparison.