when C-41 press kit solutions "go bad" from age

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Wayne, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Is it a subtle, gradual change in how the film looks, and if so, how/where would you first notice it? I'm speaking strictly of unused solutions going bad from age, too much time elapsed since they were mixed, I'm not referring to exhaustion from being used.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  2. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wayne - it is quite simple from fullfilling your task jet : Just start your developement as you do it before with your expired solutions.
    But pls. use only 1 - 3 test frames.
    Then you will normaly see if it just work now.
    Notice : Many c41 developer will work in expired condition.
    Let's better say they should work a bit longer as normal time they should be expired.
    The disadvantage from long expiration the c41 developer will show color shifts - at the beginning of real expired condition a very little and after this more and more.
    At last your developement will work just as nothing will happen.
    The CD is allways the first wich become bad - then the bleach solution - afaik the fixing solution should work much longer as the rest of your kit should be long expired.
    Bon chance for testing

3. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ok - forgetting to tell : Liquids should work a bit longer than 2 years in unopened bottles.
    It depends strongly to the time they were manufactured.So if your local dealer has it for 1/2 year stored it should be ok if you have it at home in addition of 2 years.
    The max. should be 3 - 4 years (brand new manufactured)
    Your working solution is the same : it is depending from storage condition.
    Some have bad luck and stated : " just after 4,5 month it became bad " - others have working solutions in good conditions after 8 month.
    The very max should be a full year with brilliant storage methods.
    with regards

4. OP
    OP
    Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Maybe I misundertand the term, but I thought "press kits" all use blix, not bleach and fix. Blix is specifically what I was wondering about anyway, and because the blix starts attacking itself right away according to posts here, I assume it was the first to go bad in blix kits.

5. trendland

trendland Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good point you mentioned Wayne !
    Blix - so what about blix ???
    Blix is nothing others than a mix from 2 solutions. You have a bleach solution and a fixing solution. Next step is you are mixing both (and have a strong hope it will work fine ....:D:laugh::happy::cool:)
    The manufacturers are mixing the names and so - simsala bim - they made (from bleach and fix) BLIX ???
    And (no wonder about) it still works - indeed it does.
    But there are some doubts if it is the real best way.
    To me the point of quality is not the main issue with blix (some real experts are not amused about characteristics with blix - in concern of long live stability).
    To me it is sad to have it not seperately.
    If you have a bleach wich is still working but your fixer is exausted it is easy to change the fixing solution.Most it is the opposite direction (fixer does still work but bleach has to replunish)
    Special to replunish the bleaching solution there are interisting ways to do this (depending on the type of bleach).
    And we may notice : bleach is priced priced higher and higher.
    So replunishment of bleachin solution is the best way to save money - by the way : you may also save the envirement by replunishment.
    And don't forget : bleach is a real bad chemical.
    With blix there is no way of replunishment - afaik.
    Last issue : c41 procedure don't know blix. (But manufacturers create this method to make their kits more attractive) - by saving a batch step.
    But if you just have a blix : you might use it - it is not an existential problem:smile:.
    At last - caused you asked about - the live of working (blix) solution.
    No it isn't the way you descripe - blix isn't the solution wich become first bad.
    Often the CD is the part wich make trouble after a time first.
    And allways it will be the part of bleach within your blix wich will not work correct after a period of having in use.
    But then you have to waste all (also the fixing part wich may be still ok).
    Thats not very smart from my oppinium.

with regards

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.