What's "Kodak special color paper"?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Domin, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Domin

Domin Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
  2. Maybe for printing portraits of special people? :tongue:

Just a guess. :confused:

Steve

3. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That box looks like it's from 1975. And if it hasn't been stored frozen the chance of it being good is zero. It probably uses the old paper process and was designed to print C-22 negatives.

4. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, if I had to guess, I would place it a bit after 1975 and before 1990. That is the best I can do. If so, it uses the Ektaprint 3 developer which is obsolete. I would guess that the paper is foggy and very low in red speed by now.

I never heard of it.

PE

5. greybeard

greybeard Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The next to last box of Polymax that I ordered arrived in a similar box---no product name, just "Kodak special Paper". The paper base was different from what I was used to (pure white back, warm tone front instead of uniform tone throughout) but it seemed to print about the same. Most of the usual detail was missing from the label; I can't recall if there was a product number or not.

My guess would be that it was made outside the US, and either repackaged or imported as gray-market. Surely no one would clumsily counterfeit photo paper, would they? (If they do, we should find them and force them to make Polymax for us---it was nice paper.)

6. Aurum

Aurum Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  7. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it is Supra III then it is probably from the mid 90s and will be very deficient in red speed. It did not keep well at room temperature. Supra I, II and III were an increasing series of improvements in process (RA) and dye stability as well as the first uses of the RA (choro-iodide) emulsions. As such, they didn't keep well. Endura is far far better in all regards especially if kept at room temp or only refrigerated.

PE

8. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Kodak help line can really be very helpful with things like this. try to find the product number, which will be somewhere on the box, and have it handy when you call them.