what would it be that you would design if you could design anything?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by jnanian, Aug 8, 2018.

1. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    there are a lot of home brew camera makers out there
    some make pinhole cameras, retina cameras, large format, MF 35mm
    modular systems things that take proprietary lenses and backs, even people that
    mate a copymachine or scanner to the back of their 8x10 !

lets say media was free, yeah i don't care if it is electronic or film, its free and
    there is something like an unlimited fruit and chocolate fountain at a wedding, pop out a strawberry
    and dip it into the chocolate and it becomes whatever you need ( its not instant film or a 3000GB
    computer system to develop or process the images that you still have to do ... )
    anyways
    if there could be some sort of camera that did it all ( not compose ) what would everything be ?
    would it be it always gave you enough light and shutter speed so you got unlimited DOF?
    would it be the opposite so there was always camera shake and a sliver of focus? would it be optics with
    some sort of creamy bokeh? or 20coated sharp as nails beautiful contrast optics? would it be a combination?
    would it be a tiny negative because you only enlarge to a small size, or you LOVE grain
    so your pinky nail sized negatives blown up to 20x24 look like pointalist paintings, or a 30x40" negative so you could
    contact print or do gigantic reversals ? or would it be some sort of luminous light gathering device
    that collects the information and you somehow shape and mold it in the dark or on a screen?

we kind of live in a time now where just about anything can happen its just a matter of the media being
    available ( and giant computers if you go that route )...

what would it be that you make? or do you already have it ?

john
    ps time is there, as soon as you pick the strawberry and put it in your camera you will have
    the time and energy to make whatever images you want to make, so it isn't a matter of finding the
    time to enjoy yourself...
    pps. and the chemistry to develop out whatever magic you want to do is there too so if
    it is 50x70" kodachrome transparancies you want to make go at it :smile:

2. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At best, for photographers the camera, lens, and film should not get in the way of the subject. For artists who want to interpret the subject with a camera, anything goes.

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Already BTDT many times.

4. NedL

NedL Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I've been thinking again about making a camera to go to Vijayanagara with... in a perfect world, it would be light weight and collapse down to something that would fit easily in my carry-on luggage, but fold out into something sturdy and not need a big heavy tripod. It would have 12x15" or 16x20" paper holders that magically preserve the paper... maybe with vacuum sealed optical glass? I actually think the camera part might be pretty do-able, but making lightweight holders is going to be difficult...and figuring out how to develop on-site and deal w/ waste or preserve the calotypes well enough to bring them home to develop are much bigger challenges. I've been thinking about this for several years but haven't made much progress ...

Idea is to make something like:

[​IMG]

More at: http://collections.vam.ac.uk/search...ch=&materialsearch=&mnsearch=&locationsearch=

5. slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here are 3 things I dream about buying...

#1 - A M4/3 Leica-like digital rangefinder in the size of their old Oly Pen FT half-frame cams. If they don't want to make it rangefinder, then go the internal split prism route. Use easy to access manual controls, no dummied down lenses. Put a real aperture ring and focus scale on the lenses. A real shutter speed dial on the body. No BS program dial, no terrible menu driven shutter speed controls. And forget the rest of the crap that overcomplicates the current crop of digital cams.

[​IMG]

For those of you that do not know what a half-frame cam was. A half-frame 35mm cut a standard 35mm neg in half in a vertical format giving you 72 exposures from a standard 36exp 35mm roll. The thing is, don't get caught up in the half-frame deal, just make the M4/3 'in the size of a half-frame' and make it easy to use manually.

I've shot extensively with the little Oly Pen M4/3 for a year. Outstanding street cam...except for one thing. Very hard to manually adjust on the fly. I have to shoot mine on the dummy setting. My design would be the ultimate street weapon...look like a hobbyist...shoot like a pro!

#2 - FF 6mp digital Hassy back for $1500 that works with the SWC. 35mm neg film = about 3 or 4mp with a PS cam. So 6mp FF 6x6 is more than what you need to surpass 6x6 neg film.

#3 - 16mm 2K film scanner that does sound for $3999.99

6. jtk

jtk Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  7. OP
    OP
    jnanian

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    that sounds fantastic !
    i wanted to get a leitz lens adapter to use my leica glass on my penFT
    never got it LOL the standard 38 f1.8 is a sweet ride
    never used the 4/3 ...

===
    ned

i've made book style large paper holders before its pretty easy and just requires some foam core and 2 folding pieces and some tape
    ( and a dark slide ) but they don't magically preserve anything :smile: my plan was to have a LF camera that was foam core folded up in my luggage
    with paper holders &c for trips overseas to visit family ... i made small versions but never the big ones ..

but this is an exercise in futility and strawberry chocolate fondue .. im guessing it will probably work :smile:
    IDK my fodue camera would probably be a 16x20 converts to 35mm to take paper and can be used to direct positive ..
    as little process work as possible !

8. Ces1um

Ces1um Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe many years ago Kodak had a colour 35mm film stock that you would develop yourself using only the little box they gave you to do it with. Essentially it was instant, self developed 35mm film. I'd like some of that please.

9. jtk

jtk Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm

Do film photographers dream about buying stuff?

Not a good sign!

Does that have to do with old age?

Me, I dream images and projects and women sometimes ...but....buying? Nope. Not old enough.

10. Michael Firstlight

Michael Firstlight Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A modern color and b$w enlarging analyzer that is smart. You first scan a negative on the scanner to which the analyzer interfaces (or course you've calibrated your computer setup already). Next, make your post scan adjustments to make the ideal scan, then the analyzer interfaces with the enlarger with a starting filter pack and exposure for a test print based on the type and brand of paper and chem. You process the test print, scan the print, and the analyzer compares it to the original scan, then tells you the exact filter and exposure adjustments to match the initial adjusted scan. Subsequent neg scans adjust automatically.

11. NedL

NedL Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I looked at the pictures of the "book style" holder you posted, but I couldn't quite figure out how they worked. I might be PMing you about that at some point.
    I was thinking of foamcore or black matboard... it's amazing what you can build with such simple materials... and if it's windy a big camera can be re-purposed into a fun box kite... I'll get serious about making a camera like that as soon as I solve the magic preserving problem...meanwhile pass that strawberry chocolate fondue over this way!

12. OP
    OP
    jnanian

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ned,
    picture a sheet of foam core on the bottom,
    on top of that is a thin 1 ply sheet of mat board cut
    to your aspect ratio and there is a tape hinge from the left edge
    of the matboard to the foam core underneath.
    ontop of that is 2ply mat board also cut with the aspect ratio
    and hinge taped to right edge of the foam core... so when you open it up
    it is 3 across, 2 ply, foam core 1 ply .. folded up it is all i big sandwich ( or small one )
    THEN you tape the bottom so light doesn't get in and when it is all stuffed with paper
    you tape the sides ... ( you put the paper on the foam core UNDER the 1ply...
    THEN ... you get 1ply and slide it between the 2 top layers of matboard... that is your dark slide...
    the way i got hte ground glass / T# ( is that what its called ? ) and paper to be the same place is
    by taking a sheet of foam core cutting out a window and putting waxed paper on the lens side
    so it is the exact same place as the paper. i've also used plexiglass that i rotary sanded and abraded
    as ground glass, its OK but not the same exact distance because of its thickness...
    not sure if any of that is more clear ..
    i use black masking tape and tape all the edges before actuallytaping anything together, its easier that way...
    looking forward to PMs !

13. bdial

bdial Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A camera bag that holds all the stuff in some other dimension so that it is weightless in this one.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A film scanner that adjusts automatically to the exact location of the film emulsion, essentially creates a digital three dimensional analogue of that emulsion and effectively ignores both the film substrate and anything like dust on the surface of the film.
    And while you are at it, a film handling system that permits easy and quick scanning of everything from single frames to long rolls (with a motion picture option). A model that handles large format film too please.

16. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John, BTDT. I designed the first blix for color paper for Kodak. It is still in use today in a slightly modified formula.

We went from Dev, stop, wash, bleach, wash, fix, wash, stab to Dev, blix, wash, stab. Eventually it became Dev, Blix, wash. That was a big reduction in pollution and time for all concerned.

There were other advances such as Ektaflex - Soak and laminate.

And, my Darkroom friendly Azo and Kodabromide emulsion formulas for home preparation.

Oh, and there are both Liquidol and TF5.

What have you designed for us? You keep asking US questions, but you have to answer too.

What more do you want?

PE

17. BradS

BradS Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    A donut without a hole, cinnamon rolls that don't have an aftertaste, hotdogs that don't make you belch, flying carpet, "pre-visualization" V.R. goggle with built in light meter, commercial air travel without inane rules, an anti-dote for stupidity,

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  18. 4season

4season Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Some way of displaying my cameras which keeps them dust-free, yet easily accessible for use.

19. mshchem

mshchem Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I want a postcard camera with modern lens , roll film and original postcard Azo, backprinted, heavy weight dull matte (A surface? ) and a battery powered contact printer with LEDS.

20. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Pretty much have what I need camera-wise. Besides the freeA full-blown, no limit of space dimroom would be nice, with a seperate UV exposure room. My present set up is a little limiting, but slowly working on it. Somehow I have been distracted with some fence building. My my, film may seem expensive, but have you priced a 6 inch flat top 6 foot redwood fence board?

21. OP
    OP
    jnanian

Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    that;s great that your hard work is still being enjoyed by others.

me? most of the things i do are for myself i thinker and goof around and see what happens..
    for a while i have been designing a coffee based tintype reversal developer
    that will work with the cameras and lenses i have designed and use. nothing fancy just box cameras
    some bigger than others
    and a speed emulsion i've cooked up i expose through the back of the paper instead of the front... nothing
    much to write home about like you ... you have an impressive resume !

but this wasn't an exercise to brag about what any of us have already designed not because
    my designs aren't much to brag about LOL ( unlike yours ! )
    it is more of a ... if someone could have any sort of anything, and there is no restriction on materials to feed it
    like things already mentioned, a space age scanner, weighless camera bags, favorite
    papers or equipment that doesn't or SHOULD exist, darkroom "stuff" ... &c...

what do i really want from strawberry fondue? not much ... not any new equipment, maybe
    just a few extra minutes of sleep a day ... so i can finish tweeking while i saw some logs.
    that way if they redwood logs, i'll somehow get them to vaughn postage paid :smile:

brads: the original donuts didn't have a hole! the inventor-guy's mom used to make him some
    fried dough with nuts in it treat. once she made them for him to take on a boat trip and he his crewmate pals ate them up
    ( YUM ! ) so he tried to use him mom's recipe to make more for his buddies
    but the dough wrapped nut didn't fry all the way through and it wasn't so YUM! but more like "ooo my tummy hurts "
    not wanting to sicken anymore of his friends ( and maybe be keel hauled IDK ) he cut a hole in the middle of
    the next batch so they would fry all the way through and there you go :smile:

regarding the anti-dote ... i've got some BulllS4!t3 spray if you need it, unfortunately a 12 oz can isn't anywhere near big enough !
    nice list so far,
    i hope the manuacturers are reading this thread .. so after they design the hyperloop they can get crackin' !

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  22. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I would buy one for each of my cameras.

23. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Sign me up for one of those.

24. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Then I would invent antigravity so we can have flying cars like in Back to the Future.

PE

25. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I would like a bathroom scale that shows the weight I want to be and then causes the appropriate body changes.

26. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    We have self cleaning ovens so I want:
    • Self cleaning window glass
    • Self cleaning pots, pans and cooking utensils
    • Self cleaning toilets, showers, bathtubs and sinks
    • Self cleaning floors
    • Self changing and self making beds
    • Self maintaining cars and trucks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.