What type of lens is in a film/slide viewer?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by jsmoove, Dec 7, 2018.

1. jsmoove

jsmoove Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Also another question I have is, can you get a film slide viewer but at 10x?
    For possibly viewing things like microfilm.

2. jjphoto

jjphoto Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you talking about a loupe? I have a x10 loupe which I use for film , i don't see what you can't still get them. Maybe try ebay .

3. OP
    OP
    jsmoove

jsmoove Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    @jjphoto I guess so yeah...I mean one where you can slide the film in the back like a slide viewer, not just place ontop. Are loupes and slide viewers plano-convex lenses?

4. OP
    OP
    jsmoove

jsmoove Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
  5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The classic loupe has a bi-convex lens. Basic slide viewers got either a bi-convex or plano-convex lens.

The cheapest high-quality lens is a twisted 50mm standard lens.

I got two microfilm readers, but those for fiches, though one could put a 35m strip in them too
    If you got a 35mm microfilms an improvised solution might be a 35mm slide projector with film strip attachment.

6. OP
    OP
    jsmoove

jsmoove Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    @AgX Sweet thanks, that's helpful info for me. The above link to the Carson macro lens, is that biconvex too?

7. jim10219

jim10219 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hard to say without a better picture. My guess is yes. Biconvex lenses work best when the lens lies about in the middle between the image to the object. In other words, close up and macro work. Plano-convex work better when the object is a lot further (more than 5x) out from the image. In other words, telephoto or infinity focus work. But that's just according to basic lens theory. They could be compound lenses (more than one lens element), or they could have just thrown together whatever they could find cheaply, and designed the item to sell lenses, rather than designing the lens to sell items.

8. OP
    OP
    jsmoove

jsmoove Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    @jim10219 Cool thanks...I guess I could just buy one and pop it out to find out myself what type it is.

9. OP
    OP
    jsmoove

jsmoove Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I know this is a little off the original subject, but do you think it is possible to 3d print a lens like the carson one?
    Using some sort of optically clear PLA filament?

10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Filament printing still would necessitate turning the surface into a smooth curvature of right dimension.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.