Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyanotypeworld
Recent bookmarks

bvy

Shooter
Multi Format
This is the front standard from my (obscure, no-name) 8x10 camera. The front standard fits on a rail, and lately it's been slipping while focusing or if the camera is angled up or down severely, You can see the cross section of standard on the rail -- two guides on top and a roller bearing on the bottom. In the past, I've made the mistake (I think) of lubing the bottom rail. Should I only be lubing the rails that have the guides? And if so, is there something I should add to restore friction to the bottom roller and guide?

The camera is old and some of the parts or worn. That could be another problem.

Thanks.

lube1.jpg

lube2.jpg

shutterfinger

Shooter
4x5 Format
Get a bottle of https://www.ebay.com/itm/DuPont-Tef...+lubricant&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313
Disassemble the standard to rail. Clean the nylon guides of any oil or grease, dress smooth any burs. Clean the load gearing, lube its shaft with light weight oil such as TriFlow. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tri-Flow-S...47675.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC1.A0.H0.Xtriflow.TRS0
Clean the rail. Lube the guide slots with the Du Pont Dry Film Teflon, let dry thoroughly then lightly buff with a clean cotton cloth. Reassemble. The guides can be shimmed upward if needed with brass or aluminum.

OP
OP
bvy

bvy

Shooter
Multi Format
Thanks. That looks like good stuff, and for the price, there's nothing to lose.

So is this a better alternative for this application than white lithium grease?

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom