Threads
Members
Latest member
philipandre
Recent bookmarks

1kgcoffee

Shooter
Medium Format
I've been playing around with my canon mount yn568EXII, and YN622c flash triggers trying to get them to work with film cameras. No dice. The film cameras with which I intend to use it are a Kiev 6c, a minolta 807si, a minolta srt 200.

Question is, which modern flashes/triggers work well with them, and what do I need to get them to work?

Thanks in Advance,
1kgcoffee

mweintraub

Shooter
Medium Format
I use the Godox X1 (rebranded to Adorama R2 actually) system with all my cameras. Great system.

Your YN622C should work, unless it requires a TTL shoe like the older 602/602 mk I required.

spijker

Shooter
Medium Format
What is not working, does the flash not fire at all? You obviously will not get automatic flash exposure with a non-canon camera and this flash/trigger. :smile: I used to have a different Yongnuo flash/trigger set that was manual only and that worked flawless with a Canon DSLR, a Mamiya 645 Pro and a 645 ADF3. Be aware that the pc contact on your trigger is an output. It can not be used to connect to the pc contact of the camera. Only the hot shoe can be used. The Minolta srt 200 seems to have a regular hot shoe so that camera should be able to trigger the flash. If the camera has a pc contact only, you'll have to get a pc-hot shoe adapter, something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Kalt-Shoe-Adapter-Connecting-Cord/dp/B00009R8G8

edit: I've also switched to Godox; 2 x AD200, TT350c and Xpro-c trigger. Works flawless on the Canon DSLR (TTL) and the Mamiya 645AFD3 (no-TTL).

Menno

OP
OP

1kgcoffee

Shooter
Medium Format
Thanks for the responses.

I actually have a viltrox fc-7sn and pc-sync cable. Been doing it wrong all this time somehow! It's working now even on the kiev amazingly

M Carter

Shooter
Medium Format
The cheap chinese radio triggers won't fire from my RB lenses (or my Spotmeter F), and it's a common issue I see on various forums. Pocket wizards - even old, cheap used ones - do the job.

M Carter

Shooter
Medium Format
I'm not sure the model I have, it was like fifteen bucks on Amazon; it has a micro-plug on the hot shoe transmitter (like, the "smaller than 1/8"" mono jack) and came with a cable from that size to PC; the receiver has a PC connection and a hot shoe, so they're pretty versatile. It works fine with SLRs and DSLRs for me, just not the RB lenses or my Spotmeter F. And since the advent of cheap slaves, there's dozens of posts around the web from RB users. Last week there was a Reddit user that had a $100 or so Asian TTL slave that wouldn't fire with the RB, so low cost ins't the only harbinger I suppose.

I've noticed when testing on the RB shutters: there's a red light on the transmitter that blinks when the shutter is fired. Every few fires from some RB lenses, you can see it barely pulse - so a tiny bit of power is getting through, not enough to trigger the receiver though. No idea why, other than these things must kick a little voltage into the flash circuit to close a circuit when the shutter is tripped; the RB's circuit must have too much resistance, and the slaves are either designed with very low voltage to avoid liability, or there's something about their build that doesn't have enough voltage? Can't say for sure.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Most flash slaves run on tiny batteries, and generally run for a long time, through many activations, before those batteries require replacement.
That tells me that the power (both the voltage and the current) supplied by them to the synch circuits in cameras must be miniscule.
The mechanical synch circuits in RB shutters are robust and, in most cases, quite old. Originally, they were designed to handle relatively high voltage and current (like the 600V synch voltage in my Bowens Monolites). In many cases they have never been cleaned or serviced.
It is not surprising there is a mis-match. It may be that if one had the RB shutters serviced, including cleaning and, where required, replacing the synch switches, then the modern slave circuits would function fine.
I have a set of Wein IR based synchs that work with my RB. They are bigger and use bigger batteries. I can also trigger them with a television remote :wink:.

M Carter

Shooter
Medium Format
Most flash slaves run on tiny batteries, and generally run for a long time, through many activations, before those batteries require replacement.
That tells me that the power (both the voltage and the current) supplied by them to the synch circuits in cameras must be miniscule.
The mechanical synch circuits in RB shutters are robust and, in most cases, quite old. Originally, they were designed to handle relatively high voltage and current (like the 600V synch voltage in my Bowens Monolites). In many cases they have never been cleaned or serviced.
It is not surprising there is a mis-match. It may be that if one had the RB shutters serviced, including cleaning and, where required, replacing the synch switches, then the modern slave circuits would function fine.
I have a set of Wein IR based synchs that work with my RB. They are bigger and use bigger batteries. I can also trigger them with a television remote :wink:.

I'd assume a lot of that is the case; but I have 6 or 7 RB lenses, none would trigger the cheapies. One is a 180mm that I cla'd via Ron Paul sending me PMs here; the sync circuit was very clean in that one, no corrosion or dirt or anything, though the shutter had frozen up and returned to normal with a proper cleaning and lube. I wonder if RZ users have the same issues?

CropDusterMan

Shooter
35mm RF
I use Elinchrom Quadra Hybrids. They have a trigger system that works great and a large array of
modifiers available. The systems are widely available used or new for decent prices.
J

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom