Threads
Members
Latest member
Drumfishie
Recent bookmarks

sruddy

Shooter
Multi Format
My mother just gave me this Canon. It was my fathers, but he has passed. I can’t tell what model it is and if the lens is stock. Also I’m thinking of attempting a CLA myself. Is it very hard?

E6E2BF74-2855-4966-A795-A108B68DFE02.jpeg

3AECE1EC-B548-4322-BE41-159F52DB0F44.jpeg

Last edited:

REAndy

Shooter
Multi Format
ah, thanks for the additional picture. Strange, looking again, I see the 2nd picture posted, is like the picture you just posted. I swear the first time I looked both the 2 original pictures were the same.

Wallendo

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
The Leitz lens or viewfinder on a Canon would not be a stock lens.

Interesting how closely this matches a Leica.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
On the question of whether you should attempt a CLA, I would ask what experience you have with servicing cameras?
This is a nice camera, and it has particular meaning to you. It wouldn't be a good one to learn servicing on.

Kino

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Yes, I think I'd spring for a professional CLA on this one...

jim10219

Shooter
4x5 Format
The general advice is doing your own CLA is usually more expensive than sending it out to a pro. Not only will it require special tools (jewelers screw divers, spanner wrenches, ultrasonic bath, shutter speed tester, etc.), but will also require special lubricants. Plus, you'll need to know what to lubricate, how much to lubricate it, and what kind of lubricant to use on which part. That usually means you'll need a manual or lots of experience with similar cameras. Plus you'll need to be able to disassemble it and reassemble it without breaking or losing anything (tons of small parts), and making sure everything goes back in with the right orientation and order. And sometimes you'll run into a special case, like a left hand threaded screw, that if you don't know about before hand, you can easy do some expensive damage.

This camera has some value to it, so I'd recommend sending it out if you haven't worked on a lot of cameras before. It's not a particularly complex camera, but if this is something that you really want to learn how to do, I'd still start off on a cheaper camera, so you don't have to worry so much if you break it beyond repair. If you really want to do your own CLA on this camera (to learn a new skill), I'd buy some Russian rangefinders, like a Zorki or FED to practice on first. They should be fairly similar (all Leica clones) and would allow you to figure some things out without as much financial risk.

Helios 1984

Shooter
35mm
On the question of whether you should attempt a CLA, I would ask what experience you have with servicing cameras?
This is a nice camera, and it has particular meaning to you. It wouldn't be a good one to learn servicing on.

+1

Also I’m thinking of attempting a CLA myself. Is it very hard?

I don't know your financial situation but, if you can afford it, sent her to a CLA. You won't regret it.
If you can't afford it, wait until you can. You won't regret it.

OP
OP

sruddy

Shooter
Multi Format
ah, thanks for the additional picture. Strange, looking again, I see the 2nd picture posted, is like the picture you just posted. I swear the first time I looked both the 2 original pictures were the same.

Yah your right, you weren't loosing it. I replaqced the duplicate photo. :smile:

It has to be the IIb because of the three-piece ( .67X, 1X, or 1.5X ) magnification lever.
http://www.collection-appareils.fr/x/html/camera-10523-Canon_IIB.html

ahh, Thx!

The general advice is doing your own CLA is usually more expensive than sending it out to a pro. Not only will it require special tools (jewelers screw divers, spanner wrenches, ultrasonic bath, shutter speed tester, etc.), but will also require special lubricants. Plus, you'll need to know what to lubricate, how much to lubricate it, and what kind of lubricant to use on which part. That usually means you'll need a manual or lots of experience with similar cameras. Plus you'll need to be able to disassemble it and reassemble it without breaking or losing anything (tons of small parts), and making sure everything goes back in with the right orientation and order. And sometimes you'll run into a special case, like a left hand threaded screw, that if you don't know about before hand, you can easy do some expensive damage.

This camera has some value to it, so I'd recommend sending it out if you haven't worked on a lot of cameras before. It's not a particularly complex camera, but if this is something that you really want to learn how to do, I'd still start off on a cheaper camera, so you don't have to worry so much if you break it beyond repair. If you really want to do your own CLA on this camera (to learn a new skill), I'd buy some Russian rangefinders, like a Zorki or FED to practice on first. They should be fairly similar (all Leica clones) and would allow you to figure some things out without as much financial risk.

Good advice, I'll send it out. At first glance I thought it would be a no brainer compared to my Roleiflex cameras but I really don't want to screw it up. Do you no of a good tech on the US west coast?

+1
I don't know your financial situation but, if you can afford it, sent her to a CLA. You won't regret it.
If you can't afford it, wait until you can. You won't regret it.

Right on, Thx.

jimjm

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Youxin Ye is on the East coast, but in my experience he has been quick, reliable and inexpensive for CLAs and most common repairs. These older Canon screw-mount bodies often need replacement of the shutter curtains, and he did a great job on my IVsb a few years ago. Had the camera back in about 2 weeks. He charges the same price for Canons as he does for Leica screw-mount bodies. http://yyecamera.com/index.html

Shooter
Digital
Probably a Canon IVSb (for the Japanese market) from the mid-1950s fitted with Leitz lens (as many were in this range of very similar individual designs).

Mackinaw

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Probably a Canon IVSb (for the Japanese market) from the mid-1950s fitted with Leitz lens (as many were in this range of very similar individual designs).
It's a IIb, not a IVSb. The IVSb has a side flash synch bar, plus 1/1000 top speed. Look at the Canon Museum website for more info.

Jim B.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom