What’s the quickest you’ve received your int’l purchase?

Mustang

A
Mustang

32nd Avenue

A
32nd Avenue

Saab

A
Saab

Chevy Van

A
Chevy Van

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coralluxurycleaning
Recent bookmarks
OP
OP
Dusty Negative

Dusty Negative

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Interesting.
I bought from Alex at Rangefinder.HK. Bought 2 film silver MPs as well as a 35 Summicron within the last 1-2 months, all separate orders. All 3 shipments arrived to California within 2-3 days. Fed Ex is great. Tracking all the way. Alex and M&K photos also ship just as fast and well packed against damage from Hong Kong.

I'll never understand how international shipping works. I ordered some toner from Moersch a couple of months ago, and it took several weeks to arrive. I was able to track it stuck in Frankfurt for over a week. Go figure.

momus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Don't remember the exact time frames, but stuff from Asia has often showed up at my door even before something that was shipped from a next door state here in the U.S.

Off topic but relevant to a discussion about "go-figure" things was buying California grown fruit and veggies in Florida that were somehow much cheaper and looked better than the identical local items.

Last edited:

Nicholas Lindan

Advertiser
Advertiser
Shooter
Multi Format
Shortest, for the service:

Six days from USA to France by plain ole' Air Parcel post - the cheapest international shipping method. Tracking every step of the way by the French post office. It would have been 5 days, but nobody was home when they first tried to deliver it.

Shenzen to Cleveland Ohio by DHL in 2 days. Other shipments took 4 days.

Longest:

USA to Russia - tracking to London and then to Nairobi, where it fell of the edge of the earth. It did find it's way back 3 months later, declared 'undeliverable' by the Russian post office. Replacement sent to the same address by a freight forwarding company arrived without drama.

Cleveland Ohio to Los Angeles by Priority Mail - Stopped off at Seattle, on to Honolulu and then spent 2 weeks going back and forth between Santa Monica and Bakersfield.

Last edited:

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
I’ve shipped stuff to a buyer here in Oregon - the guilty shall rename anonymous - USPS 2 day priority mail. California to Oregon. Both times it took over a week due to some interesting routing that took the packages far out east before making a left at Albuquerque and back to Oregon.

Kino

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Yeah, USPS loves to take my packages on tours many states away when the straight line delivery should have taken a couple of days maximum.

It used to be I could track the actual progress on their website, but now they only list the package as "in transit" without giving actual locations. Rather than fix the problem, it's easier to hide it.

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
I’ve had USPS ship stuff from San Diego to Los Angeles (when I used northcoast photo) and every single time it would first make a trip to Nevada.

Kino

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Once DC to Richmond VA to Minneapolis, Minnesota, back to Richmond, to Atlanta and back to Richmond and then to central VA and my home.

I kid you not.

I keep threatening to paste an "Express Mail" label on myself and tour the country...

Craig

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Thinking of taking the long route, I bought a car part from Spokane, WA. It went from Spokane to Kentucky, then north across the border to Toronto and across Canada to Calgary. If you took the most direct route, that's about a 420 mile trip, instead it traveled over 4700 miles.

Shooter
Multi Format
An item I ordered took 6 days from Japan to NJ including sitting in Louisville KY for 4 days. I have no idea why. Maybe someone was trying it out. 🤨 Not shown below were the few days it took within Japan to get to Tokyo from another city there.
Location Date Local Time Description
ya_02.gif
Tokyo, JP 2023/01/05 19:25 in transit
ya_02.gif
Narita, JP 2023/01/05 21:41 in transit
ya_02.gif
Anchorage, US 2023/01/05 10:31 in transit
ya_02.gif
Anchorage, US 2023/01/05 14:32 in transit
ya_02.gif
Louisville, US 2023/01/05 23:18 in transit
ya_02.gif
Louisville, US 2023/01/09 12:12 in transit
ya_02.gif
Louisville, US 2023/01/09 16:13 in transit
ya_02.gif
Newark, US 2023/01/09 18:04 in transit
ya_02.gif
Newark, US 2023/01/10 05:32 in transit
nimotsu_01.gif
xxxxx, NJ, US 2023/01/10 12:26 Delivered

Maineiac

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
several purchases from Japan to Maine, US have been taking about 3 - 5 days lately using FedEx intl express.

I sent a camera part to someone in the UK, It took 3 days to get from to London, where it sat for 2 weeks, then a day to him. turns out there was a postal strike going on when it landed and it sat at the airport collecting dust.

Petrochemist

Shooter
Multi Format
Several years back I (in the UK) ordered 2 books from the USA.
The one with the cheaper postage arrived the next day, while the other took months!
Perhaps not quite as bizarre as I've made out as the fast one was light enough to go air mail, while the other was really heavy so crawled round on the surface.

Pre covid I've often had packages from China arrive in a couple of days now it's at least 5 times longer.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
The one with the cheaper postage arrived the next day, while the other took months!
Perhaps not quite as bizarre as I've made out as the fast one was light enough to go air mail, while the other was really heavy so crawled round on the surface.

Pre covid I've often had packages from China arrive in a couple of days now it's at least 5 times longer.

US Postal Book rate moves books at a speed that glaciers race past.

Shooter
Multi Format

I thought the US did away with Air Mail postage because so much of it goes by air anyway.

Tel

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
A few years ago (well, more than a few) I bought an LF lens from a seller in Tokyo and It arrived here (NJ) two days later. More recently I bought another lens (smaller) from Japan and it arrived in three days. On December 23 I bought a camera body from a seller in Ukraine; it arrived January 17th. Frankly I'm amazed that Ukraine still has postal service!

alanrockwood

Shooter
Multi Format
Not photography equipment or supplies per se, but I bought some musical instruments from a company in Germany (Thomann) that were delivered to my home in the US about three days later.

Last edited:

Petrochemist

Shooter
Multi Format
I thought the US did away with Air Mail postage because so much of it goes by air anyway.

The surface mail cost considerably more than the air mail, so it would have been after air mail premiums were charged. IIRC the heavier book was outside the range permitted by printed matter rates. It was years back so I suppose it could have been before the change you are referring to.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom