We are due for some good news....

Yesterdays Disguise

A
Yesterdays Disguise

  • 0
  • 0
  • 48
Lake Country Corp.

A
Lake Country Corp.

  • 0
  • 0
  • 44
Redwood

A
Redwood

  • 0
  • 0
  • 44
Graffitis

A
Graffitis

  • 1
  • 0
  • 69
Winchester street singers

A
Winchester street singers

  • 0
  • 0
  • 124

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
177,277
Messages
2,431,506
Members
94,162
Latest member
DeluxeLimo
Recent bookmarks
0
OP
OP

Jorge

Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2002
Messages
4,515
Shooter
Large Format
EricR said:
cool. I hope we don't need some weird developer to use it.

Nope, it seems it is the next step on tabular grains, these seem to be cubes...
 

jim kirk jr.

Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2004
Messages
743
Location
Pennsylvania
Shooter
35mm
I think Maco announced this last month when they announced also that they were coming out with the new 840c IR film.Both films sound great and hopefully will be bearers of good things to come.
 

mark

Subscriber
Joined
Nov 13, 2003
Messages
5,686
This is interesting. I wonder if other camera makers will follow suit. Hasselbrand film. Costs an arm and a leg but it looks good.
 

Helen B

Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2004
Messages
1,590
Location
Hell's Kitch
Shooter
Multi Format
Rollei R³ film got mentioned in a thread (there was a url link here which no longer exists)

It is available now in some sizes, in fact. I've already got my camera bag stuffed with it, and some Rollei R³ (!) developer ready for it.

The two recommended developers are 'Rollei R³ Low Speed' (probably very similar to Maco Cube developer) and 'Rollei R³ High Speed' (probably very similar to Maco Supergrain developer). You could try Perceptol instead of the Low Speed and Xtol or D-76 instead of the High Speed. I've found that Cube 400c works well (to my taste) in Perceptol 1+3, Xtol 1+3 and W2D2+. There are other devs mentioned in the Maco pdf for R³ (currently in German only). All the times are pretty much the same as Cube 400c - R³ is a close relative of Cube 400c. It has the same SFX-like spectral response, with lower graininess than SFX. Very nice for skin tones.

There are some pretty ambitious claims for this film. I'll be interested to see how it performs, and how the two R³ developers compare to my favourites.

Best,
Helen
 

jandc

Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2004
Messages
601
Jorge said:
Hey, looks like Rollei will launch a new B&W film they call Rcube....with possible EI's of 25 to 6400 and it will be available in 8x10 sheets, now, here is something to get exited about...

http://www.photographyblog.com/comments.php?id=4030_0_1_0_C

This is a modified traffic film like cube. It is 3 layers in an unconventional arrangement of largest grains on the surface. Development takes a long time because you have to get through all 3 layers. The film will look lousy if underdeveloped as you will get very large grain from the outer layer and nothing from the inner layers. It will be always better to over develop this film. We have run some tests using other developers and development times in the 25-30 minute range are looking about right. Despite the cube designation this is not a flat crystal film like TMax but a conventional crystal structure. Maco has two developers for this film a low and high speed. But the reality is that there will be several conventional developers that will work as well. It's just a matter of testing the combinations.
 
OP
OP

Jorge

Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2002
Messages
4,515
Shooter
Large Format
Thanks Helen and John. Is JandC going to stock it?....show us some pics Helen...
 

jandc

Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2004
Messages
601
Jorge said:
Thanks Helen and John. Is JandC going to stock it?....show us some pics Helen...

Yes, roll films in a few days and sheet films in about a month.
 
OP
OP

Jorge

Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2002
Messages
4,515
Shooter
Large Format
jandc said:
Yes, roll films in a few days and sheet films in about a month.
Any chance they will do 12x20 and how does this one stack against JandC 400, price and image wise...? :smile:
 

jandc

Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2004
Messages
601
Jorge said:
Any chance they will do 12x20 and how does this one stack against JandC 400, price and image wise...? :smile:

We can order any size to be made up no problem. However the sticker shock will hurt. I can't tell you how it performs as compared to Classic 400 yet. I've only developed 3 rolls of 35mm so far and am still trying to figure out the developing times.
 

Helen B

Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2004
Messages
1,590
Location
Hell's Kitch
Shooter
Multi Format
Based on initial tests with Cube, something coming out of oblivion to work with R³: Amidol in bisulphite. The upside-down developer.
 
OP
OP

Jorge

Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2002
Messages
4,515
Shooter
Large Format
jandc said:
We can order any size to be made up no problem. However the sticker shock will hurt. I can't tell you how it performs as compared to Classic 400 yet. I've only developed 3 rolls of 35mm so far and am still trying to figure out the developing times.
Ah well, if it is going to be more expensive than Tmx 400, I am sticking with the yellow evil.....but would love to hear your comments on the film once you get a handle on it.
 

Leon

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2003
Messages
2,076
Location
UK
Shooter
Medium Format
this does sound very interesting - does someone fancy doing some testing and maybe writing up a review here for us?
 

c6h6o3

Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2002
Messages
3,215
Shooter
Large Format
John-

Please post an announcement here when you have the sheet film in stock. Thanks.
 

rjr

Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
406
Location
Mosel, SW Ge
Shooter
Medium Format
Jorge,

a roll of R³ 120 is rated at approx. 6EUR in Germany... but don´t be shocked - if you buy 60rolls at once you´ll get a decorative wooden box with charred "Rollei" imprinting. ;-)
 

jandc

Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2004
Messages
601
rjr said:
Jorge,

a roll of R³ 120 is rated at approx. 6EUR in Germany... but don´t be shocked - if you buy 60rolls at once you´ll get a decorative wooden box with charred "Rollei" imprinting. ;-)

Prices will be about as follows:

35mm - $6.75
120 - $6.30
4x5 50sh - $70.00
5x7 50sh - 126.00
8x10 25sh - $140.00

As I said sticker shock. But I suppose the fancy box makes it all worthwhile.

I'll post when the films arive though I'm not waiting for a rush of orders at these prices.
 
OP
OP

Jorge

Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2002
Messages
4,515
Shooter
Large Format
jandc said:
Prices will be about as follows:

35mm - $6.75
120 - $6.30
4x5 50sh - $70.00
5x7 50sh - 126.00
8x10 25sh - $140.00

As I said sticker shock. But I suppose the fancy box makes it all worthwhile.

I'll post when the films arive though I'm not waiting for a rush of orders at these prices.

Ok, it might have the Rollei brand name, but these people have lost their mind, or jumped the gun in trying to squeeze the traditional market. I can get 50 sheets of Tmx 400 for $147, do they really think their film is twice as good as Tmx? Frankly I doubt it. I am sticking with my previous tought and will order the JandC 400.
 

Francesco

Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2003
Messages
1,016
Location
Düsseldorf,
Shooter
8x10 Format
Jorge said:
Ok, it might have the Rollei brand name, but these people have lost their mind, or jumped the gun in trying to squeeze the traditional market. I can get 50 sheets of Tmx 400 for $147, do they really think their film is twice as good as Tmx? Frankly I doubt it. I am sticking with my previous tought and will order the JandC 400.

Jorge, Classic 400 is a fantastic film, the fact that it is cheaper just screams "BARGAIN"! At those prices for Rollei sheet film, I would entertain purchasing some put options or selling some call options on that segment of Rollei's business. I await instead the possibility of John and Efke coming up with Efke PL200 and PL400 at prices that truly reflect current market conditions for sheet film.
 
OP
OP

Jorge

Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2002
Messages
4,515
Shooter
Large Format
Tom Duffy said:
Jorge,
stop squawking. TMY will probably cost the same as the Rollei film within a year!

I am on my way to my mexican withc doctor to put a curse on you for even mentioning this...
:D
 

Helen B

Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2004
Messages
1,590
Location
Hell's Kitch
Shooter
Multi Format
Well, now I know which films to compare it with - I was going to use Tech Pan and TMZ.

Best,
Helen
 
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom