Want an ISO 25 or 50 Adox film?

Discussion in '[Partner] ADOX' started by JPD, Jul 14, 2016.

What new kind of Adox film would you like to see?

1. CHS 25 II

27 vote(s)
    67.5%
  2. CHS 50 II

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. CHS 32, just to be rebellious!

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Now while we're waiting for Adox to set up their film coating machine to produce more CHS 100 II films, I thought we could discuss which low speed Adox film we want to see next. (I'm not affiliated to Adox in any way).

Personally I would like to see an Adox CHS 50 II. The 100 film is said to have a little finer grain than the old one, and the new 50 film could also have finer grain than the previous version. It would be one stop faster than the 25 and perhaps not as contrasty. A two-emulsion single layer orthopanchromatic film with good latitude and high sharpness.

I liked the Adox/Efke 25, but I didn't use it much because of the slow speed. The 50 was pretty much the same with not that much bigger grain. In medium and large format you couldn't see any difference in normal enlargements.

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Adox/EFKE 25 had an ISO of 25 in Tungsten light, the Daylight speed was roughly double, a datasheet from the 70's said 40ASA in one developer and higher with another EFKE developer (similar to Microphen). At one time films carried Daylight and Tungsten ASA later ISO speeds..

I've been shooting the film since the mid 1970's and always used it at 50EI in Daylight. In fact I often shot it along with Tmax 100 both at 50EI and processed for the same time, negatives had similar contrast and density and they printed on the same grade of paper.

You need to try the new Adox CHS II 100 first :D

Ian

3. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't see a significant advantage of just one stop difference in film speeds. Two stops? Absolutely! I voted 25 ISO.

4. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    With Rollei RPX 25 I see little use for another ISO 25 film on the market. I always longed for a return of Agfa APX 25 but I think RPX 25 is pretty much that, though I know that these are different films. (I have one roll of RPX 25 in the fridge but I had no opportunity to test it yet.)
    I think a new film should have very distinct characteristics to set it apart from the mass. Maybe an ISO 25, true infrared film?
    As to whether 25 or 50 ISO I do not bother, would use a tripod anyway for everything below ISO 100.

5. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    JPD - you're pretty much describing the behaviour of CHS II. It is a drastically better film than the EFKE material in all regards - as much as I liked the old CHS.

I'd rather see Silvermax in some other formats & Polywarmtone in production...

6. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    CHS ISO 10 if possible.

7. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do miss my Panatomic-X, so I said 32. I'm happy with the RPX 25, and the CHS 100 II. Still have a small stack of Efke 25 in the freezer, will likely shoot through it this fall/winter.

I too find the RPX 25 a great replacement for APX25.

And +1 on the Polywarmtone. There's something with no close replacement.

8. mehguy

mehguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why does Adox only produce one traditional B&W film (CHS 100 II)? The rest need some sort of speciality developer for it to work.

9. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why?

Again, I'd be interested to know what your reasoning for this is? Is it simply nostalgia or is there something that current films cannot do?

Mirko has stated in the past that they could make other speeds, but with the costs involved they would not be competitive in a market that currently offers (for example) a lot of 400 speed films.

In fact, it's quite hard to find a niche that is not occupied by a currently made BW film, either in terms of curve shape, colour sensitivity or speed. Deep IR is about the only one I can think of immediately & that has its own set of complex/ very expensive issues.

10. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The reality is that the best 25 ISO film APX25 had to be discontinued after a key ingredient (chemical compind) stopped being produced, often this is for non photographic uses as happened with the developong agent used in Promicrol and Agfa A49. Or the chemical was banned by the EU.

The quality that's available if you make an effort to fine tune your work flow with judicious choice of film and developer, and also most importantly tight process control including minimal temperaure is quite surprising. It's also the key to superb results.

Ian

11. OP
    OP
    JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ah, yes, I remember that. That was when they were still called KB/R 14 and 17. It also said that R 17 was available in 127. Sadly before I got my first 4x4 Rollei. :pinch:

I actually developed my first test roll yesterday, in Agfa 17 44 1+1. 13 minutes seems to be pretty much spot on. At the same time I tested my new mint 1939 Rolleiflex. Pure joy. :D

I have a box of 9x12 sheet film, and will do the comparison between the Dogmar and Eurynar lenses soon... I've been planning that for ages. :errm:

Yes, I was. :smile: I've only taken one test roll of CHS 100 II but was pleasantly surprised. I like the clear base material. It doesn't curl like the old film, and the grain is much finer. And I like that it's orthopanchromatic now. The old CHS/Efke 100 was panchromatic.. And it's forgiving like the old film.

12. OP
    OP
    JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I still have 17-18 rolls of APX 25 120 in the freezer. I like to shoot it rated at 12 ASA and develop it in Rodinal 1+50, but it's too damn slow, especially with filter.

Yes, but it's not always easy with a contrasty film like Pan F+ shot in different lighting. It's still a bit of hit and miss. I haven't tried RPX 25, but it's also said to be contrasty. A CHS 50 that you don't feel the need to expose at 25 would be perfect.

13. chip j

chip j Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Panatomic-X and Neofin Blue!

14. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Honestly, the RPX25 is darn close to Panatomic-X too. I switched to APX25 after Panatomic-X was gone, and have used the Efke/Adox25 a lot. Preferred it to the 50, which seemed muddy every time I used it, but both the 25 and 50 lacked the vibrancy of Panatomic-X, APX25 or RPX25 in my use. I like the ADOX products, and like supporting Mirko who has been very good for analog users, so will use some of whichever the next one is. 32 is unavailable, and has been for a long time. I'd like it back for sentimental reasons.

I can do what I need to with current films. I could live with HP5+ Rollei Ortho and RPX25 if I had to. But I like using other films also. I shoot a lot of PanF, Silvermax, some FP4 and some CHS100. Variety is a spice of life in my book.

15. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, and XX, UN-54 and N74 are in my rotation too.

16. OP
    OP
    JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    CHS 25 II is the winner! It it comes true I will adapt and use it. :wink: I guessed that we had a few nostalgic Panatomic-X rebels here and put that as an alternative too.

I checked the CHS 100 II grain again with the negatives in the enlarger, and it's so beautiful that I probably used up half of the halogen lamp's lifetime. :laugh:

17. Andre Noble

Andre Noble Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ADOX, most important thing is to use photochemically inert backing paper for the 120 film, thanks.

PS, Bought a 100 sheet box of your 5x7 MC110 enlarging paper from Freestyle yesterday. Love your products!

18. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd love to see a super-slow emulsion in sheet film sizes so I can use some of my barrel lenses with hand-operated shutters (lens cap, dark slide, etc). I'd vote for the 25 speed also.

19. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    +1

20. Jeff Bradford

Jeff Bradford Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I too would like to see something akin to Panatomic-X Or Plus-X, though you have tempted me with your description of CHS 100 II.

21. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Isn´t Rollei RPX 25 available as sheet film?

22. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rollei RPX is only available in 4x5. Rollei Ortho is available in 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. I generally need 5x7 and some other exotic sizes like 6.5 x 8.5 or maybe 14x17.