VueScan Software

Discussion in 'Scanning and Scanners' started by pjferrante, Feb 21, 2015.

1. pjferrante

pjferrante Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I recently learned that since the version 9.4.39 "upgrade," the Standard edition of Hamrick's VueScan software no longer supports film and slide scanning. The Hamrick Software website still lists Nikon and other dedicated film/slide scanners among the many supported scanners. But the current list of supported scanners does not explain that only the more expensive Professional edition of VueScan still has the film/slide scanning function, and will work on dedicated film/slide scanners like the Nikon Coolscan scanners. It's deceptive, so don't be misled. The film/slide scanning function has been removed from the less expensive Standard edition. So it cannot be used with any film/slide scanners. Hamrick support stonewalled me on this issue and refuses to amend their list of supported scanners.

2. Paul-H

Paul-H Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or another way to look at it is that those who paid the extra for the pro version are now getting something important over those who chose to go the less expensive none pro version.

:smile:

3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi op

I bought the pro version maybe 10 years ago when I had a scanner and no driver.i currently have a vintage epson 4870 and upgraded my vuescan and epson drivers
    and both seemed to scan film and flats ...it was a tiny investment ages ago, and worth every penny paid ..

4. toyotadesigner

toyotadesigner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

On the main page it is stated clearly in the VueScan Editions - all you need to do is to scroll down.

In addition, Ed is extremely supportive and eager to iron out little bugs which I discover when installing a new version for my Nikon LS 9000. Sometimes I get an update in less than 24 hours, which he publishes on his web site.

I mean, we are talking about a difference of just 50 US $ to the pro version - how often do you waste 50 bucks for some kinky stuff? I guess your monthly mobile or cell phone bill is higher than this.

5. OP
    OP
    pjferrante

pjferrante Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Rrriiight!

6. jtk

jtk Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    My Vuescan, bought initially for an old Epson flatbed, has updated automatically for maybe a dozen years. It ALS0 drives my Nikon V and that scanners Digital Ice. I hope Ed lives forever.

Nikon new, pending film digitizer will undoubtedly be wonderful for people who shoot 850 and own certain digital macro lenses, but that's out of my financial league.

7. jim10219

jim10219 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I too bought the pro version. For a software that's as powerful as this, and compatible with so many different pieces of hardware, it's actually a really, really good bargain. I wish Adobe was as good with their support.

8. guangong

guangong Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I can not even remember when I bought Vuescan, it has been so long ago. Bought the lifetime pro version. A great investment and use it for much more than scanning film and prints.

9. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    It helped me then I purchased PI 7200 heavily discounted at BH (I can't believe, but they are still selling it). It came with crashing, unusable software.
    Plustek 8200i beats it with its software. Worth every penny.
    And Epson software is one of the best for their flatbeds. Simple and sufficient.

10. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just checked and find that I've had my Pro version since 2007 through 3 desktops, maybe 3 flatbeds and 3 film scanners. The ultimate bargain?

11. bernard_L

bernard_L Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So... I do not see the problem. Any Standard edition buyer knows what he buys at time "t" and knows he'll get no upgrades.

12. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is an article at the link below about "unlocking your scanner", and the writer is using Vuescan with an Epson V700. I'm not sufficiently good with software to be able to tell whether this is a big improvement or not, but just giving a heads-up for those who might want to try it. https://jrileystewart.com/blog/2018/03/22/unlocking-your-scanner/

13. Barry King

Barry King Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I too bought Vuescan pro years ago, I have the Konica/minolta Dimage scan dual IV and I use a mac and the manufacturer no longer supports the scanner.
    I would be lost without Vuescan

14. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Without VueScan I'd be reliant on using a 13 year old laptop for scanning.

15. scheimfluger_77

scheimfluger_77 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I purchased Vuescan about a year ago or so, it works great with my Mid 2013 iMac. I have an Epson 3200 and their own software was no longer supporting current OS’s, so no choice really. I like it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.