Members
Latest member
MellowCat
Recent bookmarks

Bob Carnie

Subscriber
Shooter
Med. Format RF
She also did not practice bracketing , but rather composed took the image and then moved on.

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
She obviously knew she was an artist. ... She shot Leicas .

I do not understand this relation. Was the Leica an artists' camera? Here in Germany it had been a workhorse camera since the late 30s.

Helios 1984

Shooter
35mm
She had a thing for German cameras.

vivian-cameras.jpg

warden

Shooter
Medium Format
Thanks for introducing me to that website, which I hadn't heard of. I was in Manhattan last week to see art but the Maier/Burtynski show at Greenberg didn't make the cut, though I like both very much. I have no doubts that Maier knew how good she was.

Not meaning to OT your thread but I checked the other Best Of 2018 hilights on that page and didn't find much to enjoy there aside from Vivian, but wow Jean-Luc Leroy-Rojek is sharing a special gift with the world. If photography is about access, well hot damn he won the access lottery and isn't letting it go to waste. A beautiful project.

https://loeildelaphotographie.com/en/jean-luc-leroy-rojek-neighbors-jj/

miha

Shooter
Multi Format

Roger Wade

Shooter
Multi Format
She was a snapshot shooter. Nostalgia is what made her popular now...and lots of shadow selfies.

Ouch. There is always one.

The website text is OTT and flowery and pretentious. I'm not convinced she was interested in how 'good' she was. She maybe just enjoyed taking photos, maybe as a cathartic process. She certainly had a wonderful eye, was aware of the human condition and evidently got through many pairs of good shoes ..... Not all "art" has to be staged and artsy: sometimes the capturing of a moment in the right way is enough. It is certainly enough for me and many others.

Thank goodness her work was saved for posterity

baachitraka

Shooter
Multi Format
She was a snapshot shooter. Nostalgia is what made her popular now...and lots of shadow selfies.

Hmm...

Almost everyone are snapshot shooters but some apply technique far better than others and there by know what to get from what they see.

On streets the anticipation predominates everything and in this regard its the self reflection done almost right.

Maier is fresh and an unchanged postal code to street photography.

Theo Sulphate

Shooter
Multi Format
She was a snapshot shooter. Nostalgia is what made her popular now...

Respectfully disagree. A lot of people made snapshots in her day and those photos are totally forgettable. Her work is valuable not because certain art directors say it is, but because so many people, photo enthusiasts included, see inherent value in her work.

NB23

Shooter
35mm
Ahhh the ever classic Leica BS.

It basically goes like this: the amateur buys a leica and starts thinking he’s a legend for ages.

So vivian maier had a Leica, eh? Was she also hooked on bokeh?

baachitraka

Shooter
Multi Format
I personally reluctant to learn or understand the local kulture, since there is an angst of loosing the freshness in unknown.

An unknown chaos cloud is always interesting to see the beauty even from a mundane subjects.

Eric Rose

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Ahhh the ever classic Leica BS.

It basically goes like this: the amateur buys a leica and starts thinking he’s a legend for ages.

So vivian maier had a Leica, eh? Was she also hooked on bokeh?
Most of the famous people who used Leica "in the day" used DOF as a creative tool rather than today's cliche razor thin DOF.

To use such a broad brush stroke when describing current Leica users only goes to show your individual bias more than anything else. May I suggest you dismount from your high horse :wink:

NB23

Shooter
35mm
Most of the famous people who used Leica "in the day" used DOF as a creative tool rather than today's cliche razor thin DOF.

To use such a broad brush stroke when describing current Leica users only goes to show your individual bias more than anything else. May I suggest you dismount from your high horse :wink:

No. I’ve seen too much already.

awty

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Why does taking selfies makes you an artist? There a sways of people who seem to spend a lot of time taking pictures of themselves.
I would of thought you would of had to study art to become an artist and have peers confirm . Seems to be a case of I believe for there for I am.
Think Vivian brings hope to many that someone will one day discover there vault photographs and be acclaimed if not in there life time, afterwards.

warden

Shooter
Medium Format
Why does taking selfies makes you an artist? There a sways of people who seem to spend a lot of time taking pictures of themselves.
I would of thought you would of had to study art to become an artist and have peers confirm . Seems to be a case of I believe for there for I am.
Think Vivian brings hope to many that someone will one day discover there vault photographs and be acclaimed if not in there life time, afterwards.

It doesn't. She liked to make self portraits (she didn't make selfies which is different) and she was good at them too, but they account for a small percentage of her output.

awty

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
It doesn't. She liked to make self portraits (she didn't make selfies which is different) and she was good at them too, but they account for a small percentage of her output.
I cant see much more than well framed, metered and sharp pictures of her self. Was a good photographer with plenty of disposable income and time, when many didnt. The article implies that there is artistic merit in them(?), I dont see that on the other hand I can with Francesca Woodman who use to take pictures of herself.
Vivian pictures for the most part are of a place and time I have no connection to and dont get any from her work, glad it provides for others.

Last edited:
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom