Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammad
Recent bookmarks

brianmquinn

Shooter
Medium Format
The Hg bulb sounds like it is worth a try. These bulbs have an inner bulb that puts out the light and an outer bulb made of special UV absorbing glass. Still they put out more UV then normal bulbs. If the outer bulb is broken they can put out dangerous amounts of UV. The main problem you might find with them is uneven light distribution. Remember typical enlarger bulbs are very well frosted to give an even light. But at $20 a bulb it is worth a try. If nothing else you will have bought yourself a very long life and energy efficient porch light. If you do try it let me know. I have quite a bit of AZO paper and many want to try one of these to enlarge a 6x6 negative.

They also make gemicidal UV bulbs that are have no shield. The reason is for them you want to have the UV to kill the germs. But remember they bad for you as well. So don't look at the light they put out of you may wind up with Sun burned eyes.

jeffreyg

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Platinum and palladium printing is usually done in a light box designed for that purpose. In mine the clearance between the bulbs (tubes) and the printing frame is only about three inches and there are eight bulbs. I don't think an enlarger with a UV bulb will work. I have also used the sun.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom