Use of luminescent clock with tank development

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by zinnanti, Feb 14, 2009.

1. zinnanti

zinnanti Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi -

I'm a noob to 4x5 tank development. I am equipped for and planning to develop my 4x5 negs via tanks and hangars.

Light leaks in my dark room are nominal. I print without any issues.

Will use of my Gra-Lab luminescent clock create any issues, however? I would be using it in close proximity to the development/stop/fixer tanks.

Thanks a bunch.

Tony

2. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I dunno about your clock, but a luminescent stick on spot on a used easel I bought will leave a nice mark on RA-4 paper it it sits on it for a sec or two. A test would be a good idea, film fogs easier than paper. :sad:

3. mcd

mcd Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

I'd worry about the light leaks before the GraLab timer. I have always handled black and white film within a few feet of the timer and never had any problems.

4. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one within 3 feet of my open tanks for doing stand and semi stand development and have never had a problem.

5. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to do tray processing with a luminous Smiths timer without any prombls. The timer was about 2 feet away from the tray and about 18 inches above it.

6. OP
    OP
    zinnanti

zinnanti Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks all. I'll give it a roll today/tonight and report back.

7. pgomena

pgomena Member

I once had a problem with a gra-lab timer too close to a tray of T-max 400 sheet film. Fogged it enough to ruin a couple of sheets. It was in a borrowed darkroom and probably within 18" of the tray. I remember it seeming bright at the time. It can happen.

Peter Gomena

8. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Gralab 300 with luminescent hands (and a bunch of supplementary dots) that I use when processing sheets in open trays. The timer is 3 feet away from the developer tray.

No fogging - no problem.

9. OP
    OP
    zinnanti

zinnanti Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It worked out last night. I only develop and print during the night to assure total darkness.

Funny thing happened, though. I have my GraLab, safe-lite and fan all going through the same terminal. Because I wasn't using a safe-light, I didn't turn on the terminal. So, I dunked my negatives, reached for the GraLab and - nothing. Oh Lordy. But, I had a wall clock that was ticking away, audibly. So, I took a break from agitating. Took the entire terminal apart, found a plug and managed to get the GraLab going right in step with seconds I was counting from the wall clock.

I was using that funky juice we know and love - Ilfosol-S.

Thankfully, the exposure time was perfect.

10. Kilgallb

Kilgallb Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use a Gralab LED timer about 4 feet from the tray with no problem. The display does have a dim mode. When I used an old clock alarm I covered the display with a fogged strip of 35 mm film that was developed and fixed. This dims the light considerably. You could probably put the timer right above the tray.

11. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    My Gralab has never caused me any problems with my minimal agitation in open tanks in 4x5 and 8x10.

Jim

12. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not trusting the potential for fog, I would always shield the timer with cardboard so the face would only be visible to my eyes. Sort of like a super lens hood. Only needed if tray or open tank processing. When loading film, I throw a cover over the timers so nothing can fog my film.