Threads
Members
Latest member
NegativeCreep
Recent bookmarks

Shootar401

Shooter
Large Format
I recently went for a walk in the park and decided to shoot some Foma 200 in my Rolleiflex. I developed it with Rodinal 1:100 stand for a hour with 3 inversions at the half hour mark. When the negatives dried I noticed some had these black spots on them. I've never seen them before with Foma. Any idea what it could be?

They are all over the negatives, I just highlighted one spot.

V700027.jpg

Kawaiithulhu

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
The 200 is a completely different emulsion and base from 100 and 400, as far as I know, and they did have a lot of start-up trouble with that film. I haven't had any personal trouble with rebranded 400 in 120 format, but it's recent and I've not yet run that many rolls.

Gerald C Koch

Shooter
Multi Format
Try another roll and don't use stand development which can emphasize defects. Try Rodinal 1+49 instead.

Kawaiithulhu

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
+1 for quoting Saint Ex in your sig :wink:

I didn't know that about stand development, but I've never tried before. Learn a little every day.

JW PHOTO

Shooter
Medium Format
I had this same problem on my first roll of Foma 200/Arista EDU Ultra 120 also, but I had used a bottle of fixer that had been used several times, but still cleared film just fine. When I switched to new/fresh fixer the black specks seemed to disappear. There were still a few, but nothing like the first roll. The verdict is still out for me on this film. I have 7 more rolls to play with and will form a real opinion then. JohnW

OP
OP

Shootar401

Shooter
Large Format
Unfortunately I shot a few sheets of it in 4x5 and really liked the results so I ordered 10 rolls of it in 120 and a 50 sheet box in 8x10. I'm hoping it's just a fluke and not something that is here to stay. Although the sheets of 4x5 came out really nice. I'll shoot through another roll and develop it in HC110 and see if the marks are still there.

JW PHOTO

Shooter
Medium Format
Unfortunately I shot a few sheets of it in 4x5 and really liked the results so I ordered 10 rolls of it in 120 and a 50 sheet box in 8x10. I'm hoping it's just a fluke and not something that is here to stay. Although the sheets of 4x5 came out really nice. I'll shoot through another roll and develop it in HC110 and see if the marks are still there.
Are you using recycled fixer too? I developed some in Rodinal and still had some black specks in the emulsion. I tried a re-wash of the first roll, but the specks are here to stay. I will say that I think, for me at least, the re-used fixer was the problem. I'll know when my other rolls are finished. Like you, I invested in ten rolls also. At least with ten rolls you'll give it a fair shot. JohnW

JW PHOTO

Shooter
Medium Format

Keep us informed as to your results with this film. I'm curious myself since I've experienced a similar problem with it. Maybe the emulsion layer acts as a magnet? You know, a + or - attraction type thing?

pacs425

Shooter
Multi Format
I had problem too with Fompan 200, there were a lot of black spots on the film.

foma200_2013.jpg

I read that the expiration date of affected films is 12/2013 and the problem has been corrected by Foma, films dated to 2015 are OK.
I tried a roll of 2015 exp. date film but I got almost the same result. :sad:

foma200_2015_1.jpg foma200_2015_2.jpg

JW PHOTO

Shooter
Medium Format
I'm using the rebranded Arista, but it's the same Foma 200 film. I wonder if there is a certain track to using/developing this film that we're not aware of???? I did notice less specks with new fixer, but there were still a few random specks there. I would like to master this film because of the price point thing. If I can't I'll go back to Arista 100 as my cheap film. I have not had a problem with the 100 speed except for the softer emulsion side. I'm going to develop another roll tonight and see what happens. JohnW

John Cee

Shooter
Multi Format
I am having the same issue with Fomapan 100R 135 reversal film. DR5 mentions the problem on his website and says it is a problem with the production process. I love the film for reversal B+W and it is the only one still made specifically for B+W reversal, but the black specs are objectionable for projection but fixable with scans in PS. I'm not going to purchase any additional 100R until they work out the bugs.

Link to DR5 Chrome discussion of 100R issue

http://www.dr5.com/blackandwhiteslide/fomar.html

Last edited by a moderator:

JW PHOTO

Shooter
Medium Format
Well, it sounds like it's a problem with Foma's emulsion growing system then and something they will have to figure out. I developed a roll of the 200T in 120 at 78 degrees and it looked good for no black specs, but it contained what looked like hundreds, if not thousands, of little clear dimples now showing up in the emulsion. I think I'm just going to lay off this film for a while and go back to the tried and true. JohnW

StoneNYC

Shooter
8x10 Format
Might be a strange question but 1. how was it stored? Fridge it freezer? And 2. how long did you wait from taking it from storage to shooting it in the camera, and 3. Was it very cold outside (below freezing)? 4. Did you leave it in the freezer after it was shot before developing?

I'm asking because it looks like what happens when emulsion is pulled apart when it's not fully thawed.

JW PHOTO

Shooter
Medium Format
Might be a strange question but 1. how was it stored? Fridge it freezer? And 2. how long did you wait from taking it from storage to shooting it in the camera, and 3. Was it very cold outside (below freezing)? 4. Did you leave it in the freezer after it was shot before developing?

I'm asking because it looks like what happens when emulsion is pulled apart when it's not fully thawed.

Stone, mine was fresh, right from Freestyle and dated 7/2016. I think it's an internal problem on the coating division of the Foma plant. Like I said, I'm laying off this stuff for a while at least until this black speck stuff is gone. I suppose that it wouldn't show much if you're making 8x10's from 120, but anything larger I'm sure you'll notice.

StoneNYC

Shooter
8x10 Format
Stone, mine was fresh, right from Freestyle and dated 7/2016. I think it's an internal problem on the coating division of the Foma plant. Like I said, I'm laying off this stuff for a while at least until this black speck stuff is gone. I suppose that it wouldn't show much if you're making 8x10's from 120, but anything larger I'm sure you'll notice.

I hope you notified freestyle and also sent it back.

Also, I had issues with film from freestyle but it was EFKE and assumed it was EFKEitis (small black rice grain looking spots on the film). Never with FOMA, though FOMA has their own emulsion issues which is why I stick to Ilford.

JW PHOTO

Shooter
Medium Format
I hope you notified freestyle and also sent it back.

Also, I had issues with film from freestyle but it was EFKE and assumed it was EFKEitis (small black rice grain looking spots on the film). Never with FOMA, though FOMA has their own emulsion issues which is why I stick to Ilford.

I will let Freestyle know when roll number ten is done and I still have the "black speck" issue. I want to rule out operator error first and make sure I give this film a fair shake. I feel Freestyle will have enough "push-come-to-shove" to get Foma to take a look at their coating system just a little closer. We little guys can squeak loud enough to get our wheels oiled, but Freestyle can. I'm getting an order ready for some Ilford film right now and think I'll stay the course with that for the time being. JohnW

StoneNYC

Shooter
8x10 Format
I will let Freestyle know when roll number ten is done and I still have the "black speck" issue. I want to rule out operator error first and make sure I give this film a fair shake. I feel Freestyle will have enough "push-come-to-shove" to get Foma to take a look at their coating system just a little closer. We little guys can squeak loud enough to get our wheels oiled, but Freestyle can. I'm getting an order ready for some Ilford film right now and think I'll stay the course with that for the time being. JohnW

Wouldn't it be nicer not to use up 10 rolls before notifying freestyle? And stop while you're ahead? Maybe shooting one more I guess just in case? But not 10 total, unless you shot 9 already and I've forgotten you said that?

JW PHOTO

Shooter
Medium Format
Wouldn't it be nicer not to use up 10 rolls before notifying freestyle? And stop while you're ahead? Maybe shooting one more I guess just in case? But not 10 total, unless you shot 9 already and I've forgotten you said that?

I have two rolls that are not in cameras so it really doesn't matter now. I bought the ten rolls to try out and also to test out several cameras I have worked on and repaired. The Freestyle/Arista brand was a cheap trial film. So far I'm not overly happy with the results. The grain/sharpness seem OK, but those damn black specks really bug me.

StoneNYC

Shooter
8x10 Format
I have two rolls that are not in cameras so it really doesn't matter now. I bought the ten rolls to try out and also to test out several cameras I have worked on and repaired. The Freestyle/Arista brand was a cheap trial film. So far I'm not overly happy with the results. The grain/sharpness seem OK, but those damn black specks really bug me.

Gotcha

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom