Tripod head for cold weather and gloved hands!

Funky Face

A
Funky Face

faded glory

A
faded glory

• Tel
  • Oct 7, 2022
Parkbench images

A
Parkbench images

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocieb
Recent bookmarks

Joseph Bell

Shooter
35mm
Good greetings!
I wonder if any of the cold weather shooters can recommend a tripod head that can be easily manipulated and adjusted in subzero temperatures with gloves? (I know it's only August but I've been a grasshopper for too long and I'm trying to be an ant.) Sincere thanks for your time and trouble!

Alan9940

Shooter
Multi Format
Over the years, I've used Bogen 3047, Ries A200, Gitzo G-1570M, and RRS BH-55 heads in bitter cold with fairly heavy gloves and never had any issues with the heads or working the controls. Getting the camera mounted to a head that doesn't have a quick release plate can be tricky with gloves on, but not impossible. I usually remove one glove just long enough to get the camera mounted or, if the temps permit, I use gloves that have fold-back finger tips.

Maris

Shooter
Multi Format
I've used a Manfrotto 468MG RC4 Hydrostatic Ball Head in snowy winter conditions. It's held up a Mamiya RB67, a Tachihara 4x5, and on one occasion a Tachihara 8x10.
The locking mechanism is based on hydraulic oil and it permits the big rubber lock knob to release the ball completely or lock it with "tons" force (never slipped, ever) in half a turn using moderate finger pressure.
A separate adjustable drag mechanism holds the weight of the camera so it does not fall but still permits secure aim and tilt movements.
I thought it was expensive when I bought it new from KEH but it has worked perfectly for years. Still does.

MTGseattle

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Bogen/manfrotto 3030 ? Simple 3 axis head. Reasonably sized knobs on the arms.

Slixtiesix

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Another vote for the Gitzo G1570M (for heavy cameras like SL66, Mamiya RB/RZ or Fuji 6x8). For lighter MF cameras (645 or Hasselblad with standard lens, TLR) I can recommend the Gitzo G2270M.

John Koehrer

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Gitzo R3 depending on your camera, works best with larger cameras. It has oval handles
and adjustable drag for up & down adjustment.

Heavy!

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom