Latest member
A Modest Mouse
Recent bookmarks

sdivot

Subscriber
Format
Medium Format
Hi,
I posted this on APUG, but only got a couple of responses. I thought I'd post here.
I've been doing some three color gum printing, and it is going pretty well.
I thought I might try to print a cyanotype layer, and then print the magenta and yellow, ala Sam Wang and Christina Anderson.
Question: can the cyanotype be printed on already sized paper? Or do I need to print the cyanotype, then size, then print the gum layers? It seems the latter would be better, since the cyanotype does not sit on top of the paper like the gum layers. But I thought I'd ask for other opinions on this.
Thanks,
Steve
btw: I posted 3 of my initial gum prints in the Gallery.
www.scdowellphoto.com

Last edited by a moderator:

donbga

Format
Large Format Pan
Hi,
I posted this on APUG, but only got a couple of responses. I thought I'd post here.
I've been doing some three color gum printing, and it is going pretty well.
I thought I might try to print a cyanotype layer, and then print the magenta and yellow, ala Sam Wang and Christina Anderson.
Question: can the cyanotype be printed on already sized paper? Or do I need to print the cyanotype, then size, then print the gum layers? It seems the latter would be better, since the cyanotype does not sit on top of the paper like the gum layers. But I thought I'd ask for other opinions on this.
Thanks,
Steve
btw: I posted 3 of my initial gum prints in the Gallery.
www.scdowellphoto.com
See my reply on APUG. This method works very well. I've seen both Sam and Christ's prints and they are both beautiful amd excellent.

The best thing to do is to make prints using one or both methods and plan on spending a few months printing exclusively with gum and tri-color gum. That's the only way to really learn how to do it.

As a practical matter if you do decide to size before printing cyanotype or gum, if possible size parent sized sheets as this will save you a lot of work. Sizing smaller individual sheets is possible; if you do that you can add a tiny amount of hardener to the amount of gelatin needed to coat an individual print. This is the typical method used for making gum over palladium prints.

Don Bryant

Last edited by a moderator:

JimLarimer

Format
Multi Format
Steve...I have been printing tri-color over cyanotype without sizing and have had very good results. Maybe it is the paper...but, I just started to use a size after the cyanotype and then between each successive layer following. I have been using Gamblin PVA size full strength brushed on between coats. It dries quickly and imparts a slightly semi-gloss finish that I find appealing.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom