Toning Of Kallitypes

Discussion in 'Hand Coated Wet Prints' started by Bruce, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Bruce

Bruce Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have been trying different developers and toners for Kallitypes.

I like the sepia brown color when using Sodium Citrate as the developer but have not found a toner that keeps the same color in the final print after toning. I have tried several different toners such as Basic Noble metal Toner (citric acid and 5% gold toner), Palladium toner and Gold Borax as described in Christopher James books. All of these toners turn my Sepia brown print into a Blue black color.

Does anyone have a recommendation on what toner to use that will keep the sepia brown color?

Thanks

2. ced

ced Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Bruce not sure if this is the direction but maybe Vandyke or Salt prints may be closer to the result you seek.
    I prefer Kallitypes for the great blacks I can get using sodium acetate...

3. pschwart

pschwart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    palladium (without gold toning) will yield brown tones. Time required is very brief -- longer toning will result in yellow staining.

4. tnp651

tnp651 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  5. pschwart

pschwart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sandy's article says: "Tone for the time necessary, which can vary from 5-20 minutes depending on the strength and amount of toner." Most of my toning falls in this range, but palladium has a nasty habit of creating a heavy yellow stain across the entire image. Maybe a weaker solution will avoid this, but I find palladium too warn in tone anyway, so I avoid it and use platinum instead.

6. tnp651

tnp651 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have been having trouble with yellow staining, though hypo clearing seems to remove most of it. I've been giving 10 minutes in palladium; I'll try 5

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.