Toning Of Kallitypes

Discussion in 'Hand Coated Wet Prints' started by Bruce, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Bruce

Bruce Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have been trying different developers and toners for Kallitypes.

I like the sepia brown color when using Sodium Citrate as the developer but have not found a toner that keeps the same color in the final print after toning. I have tried several different toners such as Basic Noble metal Toner (citric acid and 5% gold toner), Palladium toner and Gold Borax as described in Christopher James books. All of these toners turn my Sepia brown print into a Blue black color.

Does anyone have a recommendation on what toner to use that will keep the sepia brown color?

Thanks

2. ced

ced Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Bruce not sure if this is the direction but maybe Vandyke or Salt prints may be closer to the result you seek.
    I prefer Kallitypes for the great blacks I can get using sodium acetate...

3. pschwart

pschwart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    palladium (without gold toning) will yield brown tones. Time required is very brief -- longer toning will result in yellow staining.

4. tnp651

tnp651 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  5. pschwart

pschwart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sandy's article says: "Tone for the time necessary, which can vary from 5-20 minutes depending on the strength and amount of toner." Most of my toning falls in this range, but palladium has a nasty habit of creating a heavy yellow stain across the entire image. Maybe a weaker solution will avoid this, but I find palladium too warn in tone anyway, so I avoid it and use platinum instead.

6. tnp651

tnp651 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have been having trouble with yellow staining, though hypo clearing seems to remove most of it. I've been giving 10 minutes in palladium; I'll try 5