Threads
Members
Latest member
odeo606
Recent bookmarks

tkamiya

Shooter
Multi Format
I am trying to tone my photograph so that it has the "old time" look to it.

The print is on a warm tone emulsion on matte paper. This is an Adorama brand FB paper that actually acts somewhat like Ilford WT paper. My idea of "old time" is that it is sepia toned (that part is easy) but with slight greenish tinge to it. It's hard to describe but I've seen many actual old photographs with this characteristic.

I've so far tried sepia toning using a clone of Kodak two bath sepia toner, and brown toning using a clone of Kodak brown toner. Both of them are very similar - brown but too warm. I need the green tint to cool it down.

Would anyone be so kind to share ideas? I'm willing to reprint this on different paper if I have to but I am not able to wait 100 years for it to age on its own. :blink:

jbridges

Shooter
Multi Format
Have you tried diluting the bleach? This would help reduce the intensity of the sepia effect.

Gerald C Koch

Shooter
Multi Format
Any of the sulfur based toners are going to give you a warm brown tone. A selenium toner is a better choice BUT if toning is extended too long the print will take on a distinctly purple (eggplant) color.

OP
OP

tkamiya

Shooter
Multi Format
Thank you everybody.

I ended up toning with sepia then use selenium to cool it down a bit. That gave me the effects I wanted although in slightly different form.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom