For Sale Tomiyama Art Panorama 170 6x17 camera.

A

Promethea Moth

D
Promethea Moth

On The Nest

D
On The Nest

Reception area - Spain

A
Reception area - Spain

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crockodile
Recent bookmarks
Trader history for MTGseattle (5)

Donation to Photrio
% will be donated to Photrio

MTGseattle

Subscriber
Format
Multi Format
This is an oddball.

The best video I know of so far is on youtube by Alastair Bird. It contains all of the pertinent information regarding this camera.

Camera is a heavy all metal body, the true lens board (lens cone) from the factory is a top-hat style technika board that doesn't have a light trap ring on the interior face. This is the key. The board/cone needs to be perfectly flat to mount properly.

One is supposed to get the camera set up at the scene, pop the back off, rest the ground glass on the interior of the film plane, focus with a loupe, insert the film, re-install the back and then expose your image.
If you're not lost, you have likely realized that you cannot focus again mid-roll. There are ways and methods to circumvent this anomaly, but they all take some time using the camera. It is likely that the system I was working towards would not work for anyone else.

these have been offered with I think 2 or 3 different focal lengths. The focus knob on this one has 90mm engraved on it, so I have it here with a Fujinon 90mm SW f8. The glass is clean and clear and I think the shutter speeds are fine.

The camera is capable of 6x12 as well. I have never seen the masks but I think they are simply 2 pieces of metal that shrink the width of the film plane.

The super weird thing to me is that the film take-up is on the left. When you scan your negatives, the film info will be upside down.

I was trying to get the kinks ironed out to have this be a 2-lens "system." The other option I was working with was the little Linhof/Schneider 120mm Angulon.

Sale option A: Camera body with Fujinon 90mm and a cable release that fits well but is a bit long. $1200 shipped, insured and fee'd (paypal) within the US

Sale option B: All of the above plus the Schneider 120mm lens and some extra lens cone extension rings. $1350 shipped, insured and fee'd (paypal) within the US

It's an interesting camera capable of really cool images. I am selling because I can do nothing with the negatives unless I fully embrace the hybrid workflow or source a 5x7 enlarger. Neither of those are happening any time soon.

Last image is a sample image taken with the 90mm Fujinon.

Attachments

• tomiyama1.JPG
    tomiyama1.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 131
  • tomiyama2.JPG
    tomiyama2.JPG
    284 KB · Views: 90
  • tomiyama3.JPG
    tomiyama3.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 87
  • tomiyama4.JPG
    tomiyama4.JPG
    216.2 KB · Views: 86
  • tomiyama6.JPG
    tomiyama6.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 81
  • tomiyama7.JPG
    tomiyama7.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 82
  • tomiyama8.JPG
    tomiyama8.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 114
  • img575.jpg
    img575.jpg
    968.2 KB · Views: 133

peoplemerge

Subscriber
Format
Medium Format
What an awesome little oddball camera. I can’t buy it wanted to tip my hat to you: your post is what makes this community so great.

eurekaiv

Format
Analog
For any future owner... I made my own 6x12 masks with some laminated paper with flocking material stuck on either side and they work great. Once I verified my knob markings were reasonably accurate, I found focusing easiest using my phone to approximate a distance and making sure I have enough, or the desired, DOF coverage with my aperture selection using a DOF calculator.

If someone takes you up on option A, please reach out to me. I would be very interested in the cone extension rings. I love my Art Panorama!

Format
Medium Format
It's been a long time since I had my Tomiyama 617 but doesn't it have a distance scale on the focus knob for the bellows? My recollection is that you need to set the bellows to infinity and then use the threaded collar to get the lens working at infinity properly and then lock it down. After that, you don't need to be checking the GG unless there is a critical focus and/or composition aspect to the shot because the range focus is precise enough and the depth of field you need to be using with the lens will cover most range-distance errors just fine.

That won't work with a 120mm lens, but it should work perfectly fine with the 90mm since that is what it was built around. It would be possible to recalibrate the range scale and make a translation for teh 120 as well...

eurekaiv

Format
Analog
How do you use your phone as a rangefinder?

I use an app that measures distance and walk it to the subject. I happen to use this one but there are probably loads of others... https://apps.apple.com/us/app/tape-measure/id1271546805

They're not perfect but for what is ostensibly, a landscape camera, I really just need to know if the subject I want to focus on is 3 or 5 meters away and the phone is more than capable of that resolution.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MTGseattle

MTGseattle

Subscriber
Format
Multi Format
@eurekaiv Those "top hat" sets are all over ebay. There are 1 or 2 sellers that will let you customize a set if you want a specific combo of pieces.

@Michael Mutmansky Yes. I was working on a mini "story stick" that was labeled either 120 or 90 and had marks that corresponded to bellows extension for a specific range. It may be a bit clunky, which is why I will let someone figure out their own method.

Also, my prices are not set in stone, be sure to ask any questions, or make an offer.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom