Tips from the Darkroom

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Bob Carnie, Mar 23, 2011.

1. rbultman

rbultman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. Mine is that Michael, more so than anyone else on APUG during his time here, has gone out of his way to help me with various questions and issues I have experienced in developing film and making prints. He has done so on the forum and via private messages and e-mails. He has even sent me some materials free of charge when I had a need. His post are always logical, accurate, based on facts and well written. I SUBSCRIBE to his post. My photography is better for it. Thank you, Michael.

3. Chris Lange

Chris Lange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Revering the darkroom as a mystical place is as much of a detriment as revering a camera as a mystical object.

My darkroom is a place where I can work alone, listen to loud music, and slosh paper around in chemicals. I assisted a professor at my school last year teaching a bunch of art school sophomores in an Intro to Photography course. I banished everything they were taught in high school, and told them not to think of their silver prints as being any different in the end than an inkjet print or what have you. They were split-grading and bleaching and toning in less than a month.

Their work got better...and there were fewer dust spots and scratches...and there was much rejoicing.

4. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've been working in darkrooms, at a college, in a friend's and in my own for 16 years. During that time I've come to think of them as mystical, not because of any techniques but because it's a place where I can work alone, listen to loud music, and slosh paper around in chemicals. =)

5. Chris Lange

Chris Lange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

That's the kind of voodoo magic I like, Shawn!

6. Riverviewer

Riverviewer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you Bob. I am going to suggest to the folks in our film group that we (a) read your lists and (b) each try to write out our individual processes . I found your ideas very helpful.

7. cjbecker

cjbecker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I found out a pretty nice trick yesterday. If you don't have a cap or lost your cap for a nikor tank, a kodak lid will fit perfect. The lids off the hc110 and photoflo are the ones. kkpf200p.jpg