Think this film will develop properly?

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by stereoscopic, Apr 21, 2018.

Will I get usable photos?

1. yes

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. stereoscopic

stereoscopic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My film was damaged in shipping to the lab. Think I will get usable images? Here are some pictures of the roll. https://imgur.com/a/FzFfq5L. Has anyone had anything like this happen before?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  2. tezzasmall

tezzasmall Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    If the film canister was damaged and open at one end by the time it got to the lab, it's 50 / 50, with maybe fog on some pics and maybe a few normal ones at the centre of the reel where the light can't get to.

I used to work at a lab and had to open envelopes with the film in, with payment etc. and do all the paperwork. My opinion is that it is straightaway open to the light and the elements as the film doesn't go straight to a darkroom lab.

Let us know the outcome.

Terry S

3. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would have taken it out of the damaged packing material and loaded in on the reels in the dark. Probably not exposed the damaged cartridge to light.

4. OP
    OP
    stereoscopic

stereoscopic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Do you think the first few photos will be completely ruined or just fogged?

5. OP
    OP
    stereoscopic

stereoscopic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The person at the lab loaded it into a new cartridge. I am hoping I get usable photos.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  6. Oh yes it will develop properly, but it will probably show fog since the cassette is crushed and one end is open.

7. OP
    OP
    stereoscopic

stereoscopic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How much fog do you think there will be? Do you think the images will be usable?

8. It is worth a try but only pay for usable prints. I would not use it for anything of any importance.

9. winger

winger Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only way to find out is to have them developed.

10. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, you did say "push".

Ok, not funny? Personally, I think you'll get some usable photos, but the only way to know is to develop them.

11. OP
    OP
    stereoscopic

stereoscopic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What is funny about push? I wanted to see how the film would do at high speed.

12. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, they pushed the canister. Best of luck on the photos - let us know how they turn out.

13. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    OP. The cassette is clearly damaged but by how much I find difficult to determine. More importantly, there is also a breakdown in humour here. I suppose you are either a fan of black humour such as Theo and I include myself in that category or such humour just does not register. Clearly it is impossible for us to specify accurately the extent of the damage in terms of consequences for the negative despite your wishes for us to be able to do so

I like the tale of a prisoner-of-war camp during WWII. The commandant in an attempt to demonstrate the likely effect and consequences of escape and with the safety of his prisoners in mind, had posters placed on the perimeter fence which had the headline "Escaping Is Dangerous" He was very upset when the prisoners all thought this was very funny. He could not comprehend why any sane person could laugh at his straightforward and truthful statement.:D

pentaxuser

14. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi stereoscopic
    i hope your film comes out ...
    was it in a box/film cannister when you shipped it ?

i heard a story a while back about a sausage factory. they moved from their old facility
    to a brand new place. the sausages were made exactly the same way with the same recipe &C
    but something just wasn't right.. they realized that every day there was someone who walked through
    the curing room ( or whatever it was ) and made his way to the other side of the room through the hanging sausages ...
    and that was it !
    so they rebuilt a section of the new building to be a replica ( or similar at least ) to the old building and had the
    guy walk through it every day like he used to .. and now they taste the same !

see if the lab can return the canister ...
    and if it gives you an effect you end up
    liking, in a dark room put your film in that same
    canister and ship it to the same lab and see
    if the same thing happens !

good luck !

15. OP
    OP
    stereoscopic

stereoscopic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No it was loose in the package. It got damaged in shipping.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.