Think Of A Mamiya RB67

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by wjlapier, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unlike Hasselblad, the RB67 Pro S and Pro SD have interlocks that prevent mounting and unmounting a lens unless the body and lens are both cocked (instruction manual, pg. 12-13). One less thing to think about.

2. M. Axel Wikstrom

M. Axel Wikstrom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Hasselblads don't let me mount or unmount lenses unless both are cocked.

3. +1

4. OP
    OP
    wjlapier

wjlapier Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The body is coming from KEH. I'm glad they have the 180 day warranty--I actually had to use one of these used camera warranties once--not KEH though. Lens from Japan. I've bought many cameras and lenses from Japan and only had one so-so experience--seller worked it out fine. Anyway, read the manual once and will go over it again, especially when the camera is in my hands before I load film in it. Yes, I plan on using it for 70mm, but also for 120. All pieces are accounted for and plenty of reading been done. Everything should arrive this coming week so more reading. BTW, I use a Fujifilm GX680IIIs so a large camera won't shock me first time out.

Looking forward to it. I really appreciate all the advice.

5. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In 24 years, none of my Hasselblads have jammed either, nor have I ever tried to mount a lens when either body or lens is uncocked. But some people manage to do it and jam their camera.

I found this interesting quote on David Odess' web site (last paragraph, emphasis mine):

" Is it better to store my camera bodies and lenses wound or in the fired position?

Hasselblad cameras and lenses are designed so they perform properly with little or no special precautionary measures. This applies to storing cameras and lenses over extended periods of time, so there is no need to fire the cameras or "trip" the lenses before storing them.

Hasselblad engineers have never found any evidence to show that the life of a spring is shortened if the spring is kept tensioned, even after extended periods on non-use.

Hasselblad suggests that cameras and lenses be stored in the wound position. This eliminates the possibility of a camera jam caused by attaching an uncocked lens to a wound body, or vice versa. "

http://www.david-odess.com/faq.html

6. David T T

David T T Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use all "C" lenses. All of mine are great, plenty of sharpness and contrast. 50/65/90/127/180mm

The KL lenses seem sharper by a touch, equalling the best lenses out there. I just like the all-metal-and-glass vibe of the C series. They can be maintained for a lifetime.

7. After a lens has been removed, I have had a cocked lens release and I then used the tool to recock the lens. As a result, I always check that a lens is still cocked before I mount it

8. OP
    OP
    wjlapier

wjlapier Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here it is with a 70mm back--with the GX680IIIs to show how tiny it is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  9. Andrew D

Andrew D Member

Shooter:
    Hybrid
    Fantastic beast. I use the prism finder, 3 lenses, two backs, and the polaroid back regularly. Below is a sample of the 6x7 on fujifilm's instant film.

You'll love being able to focus VERY close and the big, beautiful negatives.

You can get replacement light seals on ebay for cheap, and although it's annoying to scrape off the old stuff, fixed the only problem I've ever had with it.

Attached Files:

10. OP
    OP
    wjlapier

wjlapier Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The body came from KEH. They assured me the light seals were fine and no holes in the bellows. Light seals are fine and everything works well.

I have a polaroid back for the GX680IIIs. I really like using the polaroid back, but it doesn't expose all of the film.

[​IMG]

haha...I just noticed the title of this thread is "Think" not "Thinking" Of A RB67.

Now I need to find a back for 120 film. And Print File pages for 70mm film, if there is such a thing.

11. WilmarcoImaging

WilmarcoImaging Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations on the cameras and nice images.

The RB67 looks like a point and shoot next the GX680! :wink:

12. markfitzgerald

markfitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A couple of things I found out when using/buying lenses for my RB67 ProS. First, spring for the Mamiya mirror lockup cable release. It makes life a lot easier. Second, if you are purchasing used lenses, test them using the mirror lock up. I've purchased a few that had to go back because the seller never actually tried the lens with the mirror lock up, and for some reason sometimes the lenses don't trigger correctly because they are defective in some way. I don't know the mechanics of it (maybe someone here does) but what seems to happen is the lens works fine with regular shooting, but when you try to use mirror lockup, the shutter doesn't work correctly.

13. OP
    OP
    wjlapier

wjlapier Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for that info. I'm about to add the cable for mirror lock up. I'll keep in mind what you said if I decide to add another lens.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. voceumana

voceumana Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also, get one of the Mamiya QR Quick Release tripod systems. It can be a little difficult to rotate the back when mounted on some tripod heads--the QR system helps provide clearance and QR plate fits to the camera better than some tripod heads.

16. OP
    OP
    wjlapier

wjlapier Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just want to thank everyone for the input and advice. I've been using the camera a lot shooting some 70mm film and 120 ( in a 220 back ). The 220 back was a great suggestion since the prices are so low compared to comparable 120 backs. The camera is easy for me to carry around when I go out to shoot. I started using it on a monopod but found handholding it not too bad. Made a nice handle with a Leica strap I had and a pair of Optech connectors. My plan originally was to use the camera to shoot 70mm film, but I really like the images from the lens ( 90 KL ) I'll most likely shoot 120 in it too. My other 120 cameras are a Fujifilm GX680IIIs, Rolleicord III, and a Certo Dolly SS. Anyway, I'm about $450 invested in the current setup with a 6 month warranty from KEH--another great idea to buy from them.

17. paul ron

paul ron Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    watch out with those plastic spade buckles of the opted straps. you are carrying a heavy load.

18. johnha

johnha Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    +1
    I use zip ties to secure both halves of each buckle together for my P67 - I have no need to undo them.

19. OP
    OP
    wjlapier

wjlapier Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's been quite a few rolls since I purchased the camera. Started with thice e 90 KL and recently added the 65 KL. I'm certain I want something on the tele end, but not sure if I should get the 180 or something shorter. Found another blue colored strap for the RB but it also makes me nervous carrying it around. Are there any strap clips that are practically impossible to open? I might try the zip tie idea but was wondering if there is something safer? 6x8 largest negative we can get out of this camera?