the dream thread

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by jnanian, Aug 2, 2018.

1. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    sorry i wasn't sure where to post this i hope it is OK here, if not i hope the omnipresent moderators
    flip switches and put it where it belongs...

ok we all have dreams we sleep our brains figure stuff out we see movies when we sleep and we wake up
    sometimes remembering them, sometimes not except for tidbits here an there ...
    this thread isn't about a dream you had or might have had, or a desert island or anything like that

but ...

lets say you could control you dreams ( i believe they call that lucid dreaming )
    and lets say before you went to sleep you were thinking about photography and
    all the fun stuff ... cameras, film, photographing, printing, showing yoru photographs or not ...

if you could control what you dreamt that night, what would it be ?
    would you be a war correspondent ? dodging bullets or would you be
    putting wings on babbies and photographing them in cotton balls or big hands?
    photographing heads of state ? or peeling paint ?
    no this isn't a shoulda coulda woulda thread or anything like that ...
    what i something you might dream about AND would it change the way you usually make photogrpahs ?

thanks !

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  2. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Photography was my first love, however I always wanted to be a television cameraman. My dream is that I would be a television cameraman such as on the old Steve Allen show.

3. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My dreams are never photographic. I don’t need that. I’d rather my lucid dreams be love/lust related. With my wife of course. If I ever had a photographic dream it would be to capture as many images of my bride. My memory is starting to fail and good photos are way better than good stares. But too often my inner demons arouse me in a nightmare. I hate that.

4. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, with thinking about photography and the "fun" stuff, I wouldn't be able to fall asleep. My brain needs to be more relaxed than that. Maybe if I think of a beautiful desert scene with spring flowers out in Big Bend Nat'l. Park or the ocean from a cruise ship.......Regards!

5. TheRook

TheRook Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, you can't really bring back any photos from your dream. I think I'd rather focus lucid dreaming around music, as I can at least return with melodies, rhythms, etc. and make use of them outside the dream.

6. Ces1um

Ces1um Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately the only dreams I remember the bad ones that literally wake me up. Even if I had a lucid dream and it centered on photography, I'd never remember it unless something horrible happened. Like I dropped my camera and it smashed.

7. Helinophoto

Helinophoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rare to have dreams about photography.

But I had one, quite early on when I was tinkering in the studio and photographing models, who also participated in top model in my country.
    I even attended a lecture with the photographer that did the shoots on that show, so I suppose my brain mashed everything together one night.

It was basically that the photographer, endorsed with profoto-gear head to toe, getting sick and they were looking for someone who could step in for him and do the shoots for the show.
    Off-course I could step in with my 4 Alien bee's and 2 years studio-experience, no problem.

Was a cool dream though, everything went very well too lol (usually my dreams are about stuff that fail to work, be it guns, cars or gadgets needed for some stupid dream-quest, or even flying ending up in horrific falls and drops =D ).

I often have vivid and action-filled dreams and I often remember them, but they rarely relate to photography.

8. Nodda Duma

Nodda Duma Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would dream of a carribbean island that had only a nice variety of food, a comfy hut, and no one else but my wife and I and no kids! :smile:

9. mcfitz

mcfitz Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't have as much time as I would like in the darkroom, printing. So I would dream about spending more time doing that, and to make it even more productive, would dream doing work prints, sorting out print controls, seeing if any particular image worked out well, etc.

That would effectively make the limited amount of time I do have in the darkroom more productive, since the details of the printing would already have been sorted out while lucid dreaming. Those details would, of course, either come back to me or they would have been noted down upon waking up.

Where do I sign up for this? :D

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had many dreams about once again having a permanent darkroom, but those are waking dreams :sad:.

11. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A cameraman working with Hitchcock,Carpenter,Kubrick,Curtiz,Bogdonovich,et al.

12. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Last night, I had a photography dream. I was in a desert with red/orange sand everywhere, the sun was burning hot and there was a giant sandstone rock (Uluru level). Next to this rock, there was a railway with 3 huge steam locomotives.
    There was a blue PRR T1 boosted on steroid, a PRR S1 painted in red and some two-tone yellow-green Union Pacific Big Boy.
    The opportunity of a lifetime, considering that 2 of these locomotives were scrapped almost 70 years ago.
    As I was walking toward them, they fired up their engine and started to move really fast. I desperately tried to take pictures with my cell phone but the bloody thing froze @+*?+**
    Just like that, in the blink of an eye, they were gone. I asked a stranger if they'd come back but he told me they'd been here for a big gathering but it was over now. : (
    So I woke up pissed at my IPhone... damn piece of electronic junk. Next time I'm in a dream, I'll bring my Spotmatic.

PS: I might have visited our local locomotive museum one time too many : /

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  13. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Me too.
    I recently dreamt (close to lucid dreaming) of the Fiat S76, aka "the Beast of Turin".

14. jim10219

jim10219 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I make a new photographic process capable of extremely accurate colors, increasingly sharp resolutions, massive dynamic range, and super saturated colors on demand.

And somehow I do this all without learning anything about chemistry, because I hate chemistry. Maybe I stumble on the magic formula in a dream within a dream.

15. Maris

Maris Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It seems a very lazy way to do the photography you really want by falling back on lucid dreaming. How about getting motivated and do it in real life. This may involve effort and risk. And you can't put it off until next time round. There's only one life.

16. NB23

NB23 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Playboy photographer and have multiple affairs with each and every bunnygirl.
    Every day. All day. Always. Until I die.

Yes, that was my dream.

17. OP
    OP
    jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format

IDK 10 years ago playboy was selling off some of their 8x10 film holders used to shoot the models
    for the magazine &c, i hope you were one of the winning bidders ! :smile:

18. NB23

NB23 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    My dream was to own the chicks, not some folders...

19. NB23

NB23 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    :smile: :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.