The 20 most expensive Photo's sold at auction (as of 2017)

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by peter k., Dec 29, 2017.

1. peter k.

peter k. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting...
    https://petapixel.com/2017/12/21/20-expensive-photos-sold-auction-2017/

"The overwhelming majority of these photographs were created via analog cameras, suggesting that film photography is considered far more valuable than digital. The most recent image to have been captured in the list is Tobolsk Kremlin, a digital print from Dmitry Medvedev, taken in 2009, and the oldest is Joseph Philibert Girault de Prangey’s Daguerreotype 113 Athenes, Temple de Jupiter captured in 1842. These photographs were taken 167 years apart."

2. Saganich

Saganich Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I think it's the ideas that are important...one might alternatively say that film photographers have more depth to their thinking or some such thing...

3. Doc W

Doc W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    "The overwhelming majority of these photographs were created via analog cameras, suggesting that film photography is considered far more valuable than digital."

This statement is a bit of wishful thinking on the part of traditionalists.Digital has not been around as long so the pool of images from which to draw is significantly smaller. Also, it takes time for an image to gain respect and become desirable, and thus more valuable. But I don't think that those who collect art and pay gigantic sums for photographs are thinking about the difference between traditional photography and modern digital images

4. choiliefan

choiliefan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good to see Man Ray made the cut twice.

5. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's interesting that the two leading names position themselves in an art gallery context, not just as photographers. Gursky's work in particular looks designed to appeal to corporate buyers, and would fit the boardroom of a major corporation perfectly,

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    what has sold for the most amount of money has more to do with
    what high end galleries and museums are buying and selling than
    the camera that took them. while i love to look at color photographs
    i always wonder if there is a problem, lets say 5 or 15 years from now
    when the cindy sherman untitled stills sell for 15million &c because of fading
    or tonal shift &c, if the images will be reprinted on the same paper &c
    or if it will have been OK to print on a different material. ( lets say pigment on cotton rag
    or gum over something, or a new fangled dye transfer technique ) or if in 5 or 15 years
    the jig willbe up as if it was a solar graph that wasn't fixed with NedL's solution
    onlyto be looked at using night vision goggles.

YES!

7. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Galleries and collectors aren't averse to volatile artefacts if the provenance is right and the artist is hot. Some sculptures in early plastics are too unstable to be viewed today, and are kept in environmentally controlled conditions, but their commercial value is intact. Cindy Sherman's photos probably have average life expectancy for a modern artwork sold today.

8. SilverShutter

SilverShutter Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I will never understand the appeal of Gursky's Rhein II. Composition is nice, but it is a very simple picture, looks like something you would find on Flickr, or any other social media, and not being sold in an auction for 4M dollars.

9. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From what I've read, the image in Rhein II is something you can never see in real life because of buildings, people, obstructions, etc. Apparently he edited all that stuff out to produce a "clear" view.

I did stuff like that all the time when I had to produce clean digital photos of street scenes or landscapes -- it's kind of fun and a skill to do it properly, where the result is not detectable without using computer analysis of the image.

10. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    No one can see views like Rhein ll the question in my mind would you think to make an image of something that seems so simple

Personally I never understood that photo until I was sitting in a chair watching that screen in front of me or something very similar and
    The light went on in my head and it was a wow moment . Would I have taken something like that. No as I thinking differently but it was an interesting moment as I had been sitting there for several hours while we sailed along when it finally dawned on me what I had been watching