Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuyuik
Recent bookmarks

thethirdeye

Format
Large Format
I recently bought this Tachihara, advertised as 8X10, though I'm still unsure of the size. The opening to the bellows is 8X8, and the back one is 8x7. Given the size of the holder, is this an 8X10? If so, what would be the right film holder for it? The camera is in fair condition, and the seller has offered to give me a $50 credit if I keep it. (He advertised it as "near mint." I'm partly mystified because I'm unsure about placing the film holder: there doesn't seem to be an opening that allows for its thickness. Should I keep this camera?

P.S. Sorry for the lack of pictures. I'm having trouble posting them.

xkaes

Format
Multi Format
That's not an 8x10" for sure.

Since we can't see it, you need to tell us what you are measuring. There should be a ground glass on the back. What is the measurement of the ground glass. That is the size of the image.

Since it's not an 8x10" -- if that's what you want, you should send it back. A $50 "credit" (whatever that means) is worthless.

OP
OP

thethirdeye

Format
Large Format
That's not an 8x10" for sure.

Since we can't see it, you need to tell us what you are measuring. There should be a ground glass on the back. What is the measurement of the ground glass. That is the size of the image.

Since it's not an 8x10" -- if that's what you want, you should send it back. A $50 "credit" (whatever that means) is worthless.

OP
OP

thethirdeye

Format
Large Format
Xcaes, thanks for the advice. The ground glass measures 8 1/2 X 6 3/4, the size of a format common in Japan. I can have the film cut by the shop and buy the film holders. Not sure if it's worth keeping, but it's an interesting project.

MattKing

Format
Multi Format
That sounds like whole plate format - a venerable and really nice format for contact printing.

xkaes

Format
Multi Format
That's WHOLE plate, not 8x10. Since you don't know much about large format, I'd advise getting rid of it. Cutting film is a PITA, and dealing with odd film holder makes it worse.

I'd also advise you to visit -- if you can't get rid of it, someone over there might be interested.

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/forum.php

Rick A

Subscriber
Format
Large Format
This definitely is a "not as described" item, send it back on the sellers dime. If you bought it via eBay they'll help you get a full refund.

B.S.Kumar

Subscriber
Format
4x5 Format
Tachihara cameras are well made, and if you got it for a bargain price, there are a few options. Extension backs for 8x10 are sometimes available. There are some limitations on lenses and movements, but if you intend using the camera indoors, it might be an inexpensive way to get into 8x10. Similarly, reducing backs for 5x7 and 4x5 can be bought or fabricated relatively easily.

Japanese whole plate cameras tend to be very light and compact, so if you are willing to shoot that format, it can be better than lugging around an 8x10. The size difference isn't very large.

What kind of back does it have? Does the focusing panel swing away? If so, you will need to use bookform holders. These were made for plates, and sheaths for film are available. If it has a spring back, then the usual style film holders can be used, though you would need to make sure of their outside dimensions. There were no specific standards for the holders.

Whole plate B&W film is available from Ilford once a year, or European companies like FOMA, etc.

Kumar

xkaes

Format
Multi Format
This definitely is a "not as described" item, send it back on the sellers dime. If you bought it via eBay they'll help you get a full refund.

You nailed it. The seller either knew what he was selling and is a scoundrel (I can think of more appropriate words), or he didn't, and is an idiot. Who knows what else he didn't tell you -- or doesn't know about this camera.

Get out from underneath this piano before it falls on you!!!

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom