Tachihara 8x10 with leaning front standard rails

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Richard Man, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Richard Man

Richard Man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just "traded" my Sinar P2 8x10 for a lighter weight Tachihara. Everything looks good and I will be developing the first sheets shortly. However, the front standard has a lean, not sure if it is clear from the photo. I suppose as long as it's parallel to the rear standard (the lean is sideway), then it doesn't affect the functionality. Anyway, should I bother to disassemble and somehow fix it?

Attached Files:

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like the front standard is bent from rough handling or rough storage. Looks like it could be bent back, but I'd use caution unless you have experience repairing cameras.
    I recall the one of the ground glass backs on my Horseman 45 was just a little sideways. I found one of the lever arms was bent, so I bent it back and it immediately fractured in two pieces.
    Good thing I have the tools to make a new one.
    Screen shot 2018-01-12 at 8.58.14 AM.png

3. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Do yourself a favor and sent it to Richard ritter
    Why have s half ass. Tool for making photograhs??

4. OP
    OP
    Richard Man

Richard Man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks. It seems to look OK if I lock down on one side and push down on another. As long as the standards are parallel, the images should be OK. It's mainly an OCD thing otherwise.

5. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    looking at the picture, there's a greater gap near the bottom of the bellows frame on the RH side. Makes me wonder if a shim or washer is missing.

6. OP
    OP
    Richard Man

Richard Man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not that I can see. It's looking better already when I un-tension the knobs. I suspect the previous owner(s) just were not careful and progressively let one side of the wooden frame riding higher and higher and tighten it that way, forcing the metal rails to lean more and more. So I think if I just keep the tension the other way, it will eventually move back to more neutral positions.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  7. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That makes perfect sense. If in working it that way you find that the one side won't fully tighten down then the addition
    of a washer on the opposite side may help out. Yeah me & my washers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.