Szczecin

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by David Allen, Apr 19, 2018.

1. David Allen

David Allen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Does anyone here live in Szczecin?

I visited several times last year to take photographs and plan to make several more visits this year.

I have found the area around Plac Grunwaldzki, some of the courtyards behind blocks of flats (both prefabricated post WWII and older pre-war) south of Obrońców Stalingradu and walking southwards on Kolumba next to the Oder to be productive for my kind of photography.

Can anyone suggest other areas of interest that only someone living in the city would know of?

Also, any recommendations for authentic Polish cafés.

Finally, are there any photo shops that stock analogue materials (mainly B&W film)?

Bests,

David.
    www.dsallen.de

2. darekdp

darekdp Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Halo, ich wohne in Szczecin.

Es gibt zB, Bezirk Skolwin und Goclaw ( Nordteil von Szczecin, bei Oder ). Alte, nicht reparierte Gebaude.
    In "authentic Polish cafés" trink man capuccino, latte und andere "polnische" Getraenke ;-)
    Es gibt nur ein Photoladen (cyfrowe.pl) aber ich denke, dass sie haben keine BW Materiale am Laden (nur Abholung fruher bestellte
    per Internet Artikel)

Grusse, Dariusz

3. OP
    OP
    David Allen

David Allen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks for your feedback Dariusz.

By "authentic Polish cafés" I was actually asking where one can eat authentic Polish food at normal Polish prices (i.e where someone living in Szczecin might go).

Looking at Google street view, Goclaw looks very promising for my photography.

Bests,

David.
    www.dsallen.de

4. darekdp

darekdp Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Es sind viele "Restaurant" wo kannst Du polnische Speise essen. Du sollst suchen "Obiady domowe" ( Hausmannskost ). Dort kann man z.B. Pierogi, kotlet schabowy ( Schweinkotelet ), viele Supen und andere Dinge essen. Das kostet von 10 bis 30 zloty pro Speise.

Grusse, Dariusz

5. OP
    OP
    David Allen

David Allen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
  6. OP
    OP
    David Allen

David Allen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Are Dariusz and myself really the only people doing analogue with a connection to Szczecin?

Blimey!

David.
    www.dsallen.de

7. spijker

spijker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You're probably restricting yourself too much by posting here. Finding interesting locations, restaurants and cafes isn't just for analogue photographers. Plus Photrio is largely US based readers. Try other sources like Flickr, fotocommunity.de or even tripadvisor;
    https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForu...estern_Pomerania_Province_Western_Poland.html
    You may want to include the former German name "Stettin" in your searches.

From what I saw so far, it looks like a nice place to visit. Have a good trip and please show us something when you get back.

Menno

8. OP
    OP
    David Allen

David Allen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Fair point Menno but similar posts for other cities have always generated several responses from photographers who live there and are on this site.

I will try over on the other parts of this site.

Bests,

David.
    www.dsallen.de

9. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I was there for a few days in 1989 and met a professor of chemistry who was a very interesting character, but it probably won’t help you photographically. All the restaurants were very cheap by Western European and American standards, but prices have changed a bit since the last days of Communism.

10. OP
    OP
    David Allen

David Allen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Yes the prices are not sooo cheap as they were in 1989 (at that time the pound was very strong - hard to believe these days after the Brexit vote - and I remember eating a three course meal with several beers and it costed me then £2.50!!!!!) but it is still much cheaper than in Germany. You can still eat like a king for substantially less than in a cheap café in Berlin.

Bests,

David.
    www.dsallen.de

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.